Eyes during warm-up stroke

mr5994

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I realize the answer might be "it depends on the individual", but in general, is it advisable to move your eyes back and forth between the CB on OB during warm up strokes, or should you focus on the CB first, then OB, then pull the trigger?

Recently I was working on my stroke, shooting long, straight in shots, following the CB into the pocket. I found that when I shift my focus solely to the OB on the last 2-3 warm-up strokes, I stroke straighter.....following the CB into the pocket every time. Previously, my eyes had been fluttering back and forth between the OB and CB....almost seems like it distracted my attention from the OB. Any thoughts?

Mark Avlon

Northwest Pool School
Silver Member
What is your purpose for doing 'warm up strokes'?

I suggest 'practice strokes' to verify that the body is aligned to allow for free movement of the cue straight down the line of aim, and that the cue tip will contact the cue ball at the desired spot. To do this, you need to be watching the movement of the cue, the cue tip, and the cue ball.

Additionally, when your eyes are elsewhere, and the cue is moving, there is a risk that you will foul.

mr5994

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the warm up strokes to get the cue in the line of aim, get a feel for the speed required for position, and place the tip at the correct place on the CB.

I get what you are saying, but it seems like watching the cb, ob, and cue all at the same time causes my aiming accuracy to suffer.

What is your purpose for doing 'warm up strokes'?

I suggest 'practice strokes' to verify that the body is aligned to allow for free movement of the cue straight down the line of aim, and that the cue tip will contact the cue ball at the desired spot. To do this, you need to be watching the movement of the cue, the cue tip, and the cue ball.

Additionally, when your eyes are elsewhere, and the cue is moving, there is a risk that you will foul.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I realize the answer might be "it depends on the individual", but in general, is it advisable to move your eyes back and forth between the CB on OB during warm up strokes, or should you focus on the CB first, then OB, then pull the trigger?

Recently I was working on my stroke, shooting long, straight in shots, following the CB into the pocket. I found that when I shift my focus solely to the OB on the last 2-3 warm-up strokes, I stroke straighter.....following the CB into the pocket every time. Previously, my eyes had been fluttering back and forth between the OB and CB....almost seems like it distracted my attention from the OB. Any thoughts?

I think that's fine. Just make sure you remember to look at both at some point. Don't allow yourself to forget the cue ball is there.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Initial aiming begins in the standing address position. All decisions should be made prior to stepping into the shot. Once down in your stance, and lined up, you confirm the decisions made standing up. Ideally there should be no changes in decision-making. However, slight adjustments for the correct "sighting" of the shot are okay. Changes in tip position, stroke speed, or eventual CB position after the shot should not be made while down on the shot. If you find yourself making changes when down, stand back up and start again.

To the OP...According to opthamologists and neurologists, the eyes work most efficiently with the brain, in the warm up process, with eyes on CB only...not moving back and forth (or in your case, solely on the OB. Prior to warm ups (but after you're down in your stance, and have finished confirming your aim), though, there should be a strong focused gaze on both the aim point on the CB and the aim point on the OB. Then just go to your natural process...eyes on CB for warmups...eyes to OB, and pull the trigger.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

With SPF aiming is done in the Set position, and the cue is still.