how are ya'll doing in league ?

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wife is an APA 4 in 8 ball. She was accused of sandbagging by her opponent. He didn't think his easy misses were the issue. She won 3-0.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wife is an APA 4 in 8 ball. She was accused of sandbagging by her opponent. He didn't think his easy misses were the issue. She won 3-0.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have lost count of how many times I have been called a sandbagger. The most ludicrous accusation came last year during 9 ball tri cups. I won 38-37 vs another 5

I won by one friggin point vs another player the same skill level as I and he called me a sandbagger.....not to my face as many have done ....but to his team mates.

That incident made me realize that some people cant accept losing and try to justify their loss by saying their opponent is a sandbagger. It used to bother me anymore ut being called a sandbagger but since the incident above I just laugh at them.

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't usually post in this thread but I had such a good week I gotta blow my own horn:
1) Last Saturday played excellent (for me, a D player) in the Predator tour, didn't get eliminated till nightfall
2) Sunday aft APA 8 & 9 ball- won both matches against a fellow four
3) Sunday night straight pool league- lost but against a very good player who never missed
4) Monday night NAPL individual 9 ball league (regular 9 ball, not APA points) played a double, two races to five, shut out first opponent 5-0, then beat second opponent 5-3.
5) Last night Fri APA 9 ball- won 31-22 against a fellow 4 after losing the first rack 9-1.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had 9 ball scotch doubles cities this weekend. For those not familiar with the format....here goes.

We play a singles match...then a scotch doubles match and then another singles match. You have a s/l 10 handicap limit in doubles and any handicap in singles but both singles players have a s/l 11 combined handicap.

Fri night. We lost the first singles when an 8 won 18-2 vs my 5. Another 5 and I won doubles vs an 8/2 combo by 12-8. I won the last singles vs a 2 by 17-3 for a team win.

Sat morning we lost to the team that won cities last year....which also won Vegas
Their 4 beat our 5 by 17-3. Another 5 and I lost doubles to the 5/4 combo by 18-2. To sum up this match...we were manhandled.

Our next match was again the same team as Fri night. This time I took on their 8 in the first singles.. I lost 12-8....only needing 2 points for a win. We won doubles with 2 - 5's playing their 8/2 combo again.my 5 that lost to their 8 Fri night won vs their 2 for a team win.

In our next match our 5 won 12-8 vs a 7. I and another 5 lost doubles by 2 points for a 12-8 loss vs their 7/3 combo. We won the last singles with our 5 winning vs a 3.

In our next...and final match we got manhandled again by a 7/3 combo. Their 7 beat the crap out of my 5 by 16-4. I thought that was an ugly loss.....nope ...the word was yet to come. To sum up the doubles match....hard for 2-5' s to compete against a 7/3 combo that played like a 9/4 team. My lo.asked ....how did you get new that bad ? I replied....hard to win when you are sitting and tbey are running out from every where.

So.....we wind up in 3rd place .....got knocked out 12:30 this morning . The 2 teams that beat us were playing in the finals when I left 1;00 this morning. I would have loved to stay and watch this knock down drag out fight between those 2 teams but I was dead tired. Every one but one person on one team is all related. Mom...dad...brother...son...son in law...cousins. They are all damn good....for their handicap.

Oh well...as I always tell my team after cities....always next year.:grin-square:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fun while it lasted...lol
Back to coaching and free beer for you!

Well... I went to league last night after shooting at a friend's house, so I had my cue. Lo and behold, the team handicap numbers actually allowed me to play (maybe someone went down, or someone can't add). Tables were 7' Smart Table, so I acquiesced again, this time against an SL-7.

Well, I made another case for being the worst SL-9 in the country. I need to just say no. I had too much to drink ($5.50 mini pitchers... how could I refuse?) and I ended up playing 5th. Not a good recipe for inspiring pool. I think I missed a ball like every rack.

And I don't even know if I gave a single coaching timeout. Maybe I did, but it wasn't memorable.

I'm hoping they kick me off the team.

I had one highlight reel moment: broke in five balls including the 9-ball. Do that enough times and crappy shooting won't matter.

Freddie <~~~ 13-7, 2-0

Last edited:

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Doing great, as I couldn't play last Thursday.

Need five players per night to play the match. 10 on the roster and with 2 out of town we couldn't make a team 😥 Luckily we added a guy on short notice who made the 5th man. Now we have 11 on the squad and I am adding another soon.

Being captain of a team can be a pain in the butt. I need to tell some folks to move along. No roster maximum thankfully.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Doing great, as I couldn't play last Thursday.

Need five players per night to play the match. 10 on the roster and with 2 out of town we couldn't make a team 😥 Luckily we added a guy on short notice who made the 5th man. Now we have 11 on the squad and I am adding another soon.

Being captain of a team can be a pain in the butt. I need to tell some folks to move along. No roster maximum thankfully.

We are only allowed 8 max per team, 11 & adding another is crazy.

I haven't been able to shoot at all this session with my back & foot pain. Tried 1 week because I wanted to play against the team that kicked me & my 4 other teammates off to start fresh that went down way wrong. But in as much pain as I was in, it didn't help my team one bit.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bittersweet this week, our team went 4-1 in nine ball and 1-4 in eight ball, I played one match (9) and lost to a 3 on a missed shot that went 5 rails and garbaged its way into a pocket...luck is a fickle lady for sure. On the bright side we are still all alone in 1st place in 8 ball and last nights nine ball match put us a solid 4 out in the lead on that side of things.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had to pre-play all our matches for next week last night. I had a good night. Beat a 7 (17-3) in 11 innings in 9-ball. Won my 8-ball Doubles Match too 4 to 0 with my partner. All in a all..., a good night for me.

I am a little scared though. I ordered a new cue. Comes today and I am excited to play tonight for my normal Wednesday night. But I have been shooting so good with the other cue. I feeling like I am cheating on the one that brought me to the dance. lol

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Typical of my play as of late.... last night I started out playing about as well as I can, give or take. I wasn't really unhappy with any of my misses, I did pretty much what I wanted, and went out to a 2-0 lead.

Then I promptly regressed to making poorly executed shots, and lost 3 straight. Sigh.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won Both my league matches again last night. Singles and Doubles. Evidently my new cue didn't hinder performance. Very glad too. Can't wait to see the ratings for next week. I really hope I go up.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won Both my league matches again last night. Singles and Doubles. Evidently my new cue didn't hinder performance. Very glad too. Can't wait to see the ratings for next week. I really hope I go up.

Beat ya to it coop. Got a text today from a team mate that was looking at our schedule that I was raised to a 6 in 9 ball......again. I'm quite surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Look for my thread later about it. At league now and just lost to a 5. 38-42. Gonna be tough spotting damn good 5's 8 extra balls for a while ..

goombavskoopa

Registered
Had a bad night last night. 8 ball we lost 3-10 and 9 ball we lost 47-53. Our best player couldnt fit because two of our teammates are vacationing in Florida so handicap was an issue.

For me, I find a lot of inconsistancy. I can play as a SL5, but its hard to earn that extra game or spot that many balls. I started last year as a SL3 and I was pretty decent. Now I just basically suck against higher handicaps.

Here's what irritates me though.....I play Sunday nights as well. I didnt play because I have players on the team that need plays and were going to start running out of weeks. So I play some guys in the pool room for some cash. When I play these guys in race to 7..........I can slaughter them. I play these bar bangers in league and its like I cant even shoot. I dont know if focus is my issue or inconsistancy in my stroke, or both. Very frustrating at best.

moneytalks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Domination station

My team is dominating our APA league. We finished 33rd in Vegas last year. Since then, we have won 2 out of 3 sessions and are leading this session without even really trying. Our ranks are all on the verge of busting up the team, so I think we will all move to UPA next year. We are hoping to make one more good run at Vegas APA.

I play APA b/c the people in our league are all friends, but you grow out of it fast if you're really focused on improving your game.

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night in my VNEA league I had the worst night ever. First game I break and put 2 stripes in and scratch. My opponent takes stripes. I get up to the table and miscue. Game over I lose. Game number 2 I'm on the the eight with a nice little break up of a cluster on my way to it and I get a little out of shape. My opponent has no balls down yet and I slow roll it to avoid putting any of their balls in. I leave it in front of the pocket. I get back to the table straight in with the cue ball an inch off the rail. I brush one of their balls with the cue ball and put the eight in. I lose. Game 3 solid performance with a break and run to the eight. It was difficult to get on but I did but left myself long shooting over the rail. I missed but fortunately I get back on and put the eight in. A better player maybe not. Game 4 I lose but 2 of my balls were tied to the eight with no pocket for any. I probably could have played this one better.

This was the last place team we played and had I played better most likely would have elevated us to 1st. I felt like quitting and I'm still fairly angry. I dropped my winning percentage down to 67% and my average to 8.55. Damn i'm pissed!

Last edited:

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beat ya to it coop. Got a text today from a team mate that was looking at our schedule that I was raised to a 6 in 9 ball......again. I'm quite surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Look for my thread later about it. At league now and just lost to a 5. 38-42. Gonna be tough spotting damn good 5's 8 extra balls for a while ..

Congrats and that is tough. My League still hasn't updated their site, plus they probably won't until next week because we have to take a week off.
The place I shoot pool is having a big tournament this week. So we had to preplay for next week. Can't wait to see the new rankings though.

Keep knocking em down Lorider.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Went up to SL6 as expected. Shooting great but haven't won since. Ugh. lost 42-38 in APA regional qualifier cuz i had to play the 5s

Last edited:

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok...started off rough yesterday, playing an SL5, so they needed 38 and I needed 46. When they were up 18-17, I woke up and went on a 29-5 run. Won 46-23. Boom.