Jackpot Cues

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I was buying and looking to spend 500 to 600.

I'd personally hit up David at cues directly, not sure if he still does stuff in that price point, but what I have seen in person and the folks I talked to seemed to got a hell of a lot of cue for the money.

Thanks for that, very kind of you. I tried to give you some rep but it won't let me.

I build cues 8 days per week, nothing else.

My best advice is to buy from the person making the cue, speak Directly with the person doing all the work, hence the name, CuesDirectly.

Thanks again, Dave.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
David makes a badass cue and is a top notch fella

Thanks, you guys sure make my coffee better this morning. I can't give you any rep either?

You're one guy on here who would make great cues if you ever got into it. You understand machining very well and that is such a plus. Did you ever make any carvings from the wood I sent you? I give away wood like that at times, it was some very nice wood but not wood for a cue. I seen a real nice carving the other day, went to forward it to you and couldn't find you.

Thanks again and again, Dave.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Thanks, you guys sure make my coffee better this morning. I can't give you any rep either?

You're one guy on here who would make great cues if you ever got into it. You understand machining very well and that is such a plus. Did you ever make any carvings from the wood I sent you? I give away wood like that at times, it was some very nice wood but not wood for a cue. I seen a real nice carving the other day, went to forward it to you and couldn't find you.

Thanks again and again, Dave.

The spare wood you sent me was nice
But too hard for carving! Something neat will come of them though you can bet

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
When will the ceremonious naming of the cuemaker take place?

When the cuemaker is ready. As I understood it, they wanted anonymity for their own personal reason. I hope they’re never ready to reveal. Not worth the hassle on this site.

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When the cuemaker is ready. As I understood it, they wanted anonymity for their own personal reason. I hope they’re never ready to reveal. Not worth the hassle on this site.

Addressing the last point first, how do requests for transparency and objections to misleading descriptions (even if not purposefully misleading) constitute hassling?

As for the cue maker, some questions come to mind. What led to his not being identified in the original marketing? A request by the marketer that the maker’s name go unmentioned and that the cues be marketed only as “Jackpot” cues? Or did the cue maker request anonymity? If he was the one who requested anonymity, why? If he did have some good reason, then okay, he had one - it’s just difficult to conceive.

But if he is the one who is objecting to the revelation of his name, and if his objection is a function of his having read or heard about the criticisms of the cues that have been written in this thread, well, he would be well-advised to explain either how the cues are not as described in these criticisms, or that he was commissioned to produce a certain level of product at a certain cost and that, at that cost, the highest quality finish cannot be produced (in a non-production shop) and should not be expected. In either event, he would be well-advised to speak up on his own behalf and defend his work, hassle though he might consider it to be. Done right, responding actually could be an excellent marketing opportunity for him.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Addressing the last point first, how do requests for transparency and objections to misleading descriptions (even if not purposefully misleading) constitute hassling?

As for the cue maker, some questions come to mind. What led to his not being identified in the original marketing? A request by the marketer that the maker’s name go unmentioned and that the cues be marketed only as “Jackpot” cues? Or did the cue maker request anonymity? If he was the one who requested anonymity, why? If he did have some good reason, then okay, he had one - it’s just difficult to conceive.

But if he is the one who is objecting to the revelation of his name, and if his objection is a function of his having read or heard about the criticisms of the cues that have been written in this thread, well, he would be well-advised to explain either how the cues are not as described in these criticisms, or that he was commissioned to produce a certain level of product at a certain cost and that, at that cost, the highest quality finish cannot be produced (in a non-production shop) and should not be expected. In either event, he would be well-advised to speak up on his own behalf and defend his work, hassle though he might consider it to be. Done right, responding actually could be an excellent marketing opportunity for him.
And this is part of the hassle. You have this whole narrative, and it seems to be eating at you. For the past several years, Dean has been offering cues without photos and even without a cuemakers name. For $1000! I haven’t heard one person not being thrilled when they received their mystery cue.

Why are any of you surprised that this is any different? Buying from Dean is a gamble. If you don’t want to take the gamble, then don’t. It’s that simple. He’a not marketing some special line of cues. He got people to build cues, and he offered them up. Are people fixated on this glorious notion that they wanted a Jack Potter cue and they’re not built by Jack??? No disrespect to Jack, but he and Libre arent on my collection list. I want a Deanoc / Potter cue because Dean hasnt disappointed yet, and I thought this was a fun idea. I can only believe that the other ten or whatever people also viewed this as a fun gamble.

Yep, I thought it was fun. So much for that.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You a lawyer or just wanna be one?? Don't buy one.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought it might have been the boys at $ cues, the old McDaniel shop. Then I realized you can't hide their quality work as it would be a dead giveaway.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sure seems like a whole lot of commotion and complaining for only $500. Seriously, $500?? The price of a shaft, right? Maybe I missed it but I haven't even seen a pic of any issues or anyone who owns one complaining. It's only $500, who gives a shit who made it? Especially if you don't own one.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sure seems like a whole lot of commotion and complaining for only $500. Seriously, $500?? The price of a shaft, right? Maybe I missed it but I haven't even seen a pic of any issues or anyone who owns one complaining. It's only $500, who gives a shit who made it? Especially if you don't own one.
Amen brother. I've never bought from deano but i like the guy and his selling method works for him. Don't want, don't buy. Just s^*tcan the drama.

Ipmtim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob I think dean said he was going to name the cue maker in 2 days time, which is today I guess.

In my opinion, and as a buyer of one of the cues in question, if the cuemaker wants to remain anonymous to this forum, it should be respected.
I received a phone call from Dean with all information revealed with a promise to keep it between us.
I would also assume all buyers received the same information, it is my opinion that Dean, all the other buyers along with myself to keep that information confidential per the cue makers request.
I was also given the opportunity to cancel my order and have my check returned to me.
My answer was "cash the check"
WE OWE THIS FORUM NOTHING.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

It's that nagging issue of the principle of it all. I didn't buy one so I'm not supposed to say anything according to some, but yes $500 is not a ton of cash.

The thing we have to ask is would everyone buy so quickly if there had been more honest disclosure. He doesn't post pics so people are buying the sizzle since they can't see the steak. Was the sizzle all it sounded to be?

Sent from the future.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

I received a phone call from Dean with all information revealed with a promise to keep it between us.

I would also assume all buyers received the same information, it is my opinion that Dean, all the other buyers along with myself to keep that information confidential per the cue makers request...

Seems like if they were marketed as being made by a secret anonymous maker in the first place we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Sent from the future.