Three-Cushion Billiard Tournament in Chicago

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
The Joe Diaz National Three-cushion Billiard Tournaments
A three tournament series of National three-cushion billiard tournaments
Hosted in loving memory of Mr. Jose (Joe) Diaz.
An open to the public series of events sponsored and sanctioned by the Illinois Billiard Club and
cosponsored by the historical Iwan Simonis Billiard Cloth Company.
When: Saturday and Sunday, June 12th and 13th, 2010, / July 10th and 11th, 2010, / August 14th
and 15th, 2010, (three separate events).
Starting Time: 9:00 AM
Where: The Illinois Billiard Club / 8446 Archer Ave. / Willow Springs, IL 60480
Game: Three-Cushion Billiards
Eligibility: Open to the public / Compete in one ... or everyone!
Field: First 16 registered contenders.
Format: Prelims played on Saturday / Four ... 4 player round robin brackets / Three ... 15 point games
played by all contenders.
Finals: Played on Sunday / One top finalist from each bracket advances to a 30 point, round robin.
Entrance Fee: $50
Contender Club Charge: None
Prize fund: All entrance fees.
Awards: 25% of field.
Award Distributions: 1st: 45% / 2nd: 30% / 3rd: 15% / 4th: 10%
Equipment: Two Antique Billiard Tables / Table #1 ... 1900 BBCC Arcade used to set the IBC's all
time high run of 22 consecutive three-cushion points / Table # 2 ... 1916 Keefe & Hamer, an
IBC historical acquisition from a home and furnishings designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.
Cloth: The world's finest and 300 years of refinement ... Iwan Simonis Billiard Cloth
Balls: Aramith Billiard Balls.
Spectators: Open to the public.
Admissions: IBC members in good standing … NC / General Public … $7.00 per day or $12 for both
days. As a courtesy of the IBC and its membership all admission fees are, and in their entirety, added
to the player’s prize fund.
To Register and for complete details: Contact Jim Parker / 708-839-1331 / E-mail ...
PJimandBon@aol.com
Note: To better control and reduce contenders pre-game waiting time, and as the IBC introduced in the club's
past $30,000 nine ball series ... Beginning at 6:00 PM every Friday evening preceding each Saturday
tournament the IBC will host a witnessed blind draw for Saturday's pairings and starting times ... tournament
contenders do not have to be present, but must call the club the same evening between 7:00 and 8:00
PM to be given their specific Saturday starting time ... (708) 839-1331.
Immediately following the Friday draw the IBC will host a "winner take all," single elimination, 10 point, $15
entrance fee ($10 prize fund / $5 club charge) rapid-fire and open to all ... "Beat the Pros" warm-up
tournament. To better service the IBC's membership, tournament contenders, spectators and dinner guests ...
on both Friday and Saturday evenings dinner will be available from 5:00 PM in Bonnie's adjoining 100-seat
formal dining room, and, the IBC's "Diamond Bar" will also be staffed and available. Additional parking in the
IBC's rear garden parking lot and also the village parking lot.
Please pass this announcement along to your friends and billiard players ... or those who one day might
become one!
Billiards,
Jim Parker, President
The Illinois Billiard Club

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
How will the tournament below affect IBC turnout of players?

http://www.usba.net/2010Tournaments/DubuqueOpen-IA-6-11-10/PDF-Flyer.pdf

Looks like a nice tournament over there.

I believe Jim has his 16 players.

George Ashby and Hugo Patino are among those committed to play.

Noel Mendoza is donating one of his Schuler style cues, the Hugo Patino model, for raffle. The proceeds will go into the prize fund. http://mendozacues.com/SchulerCues.html

Here are a few of his other cues, if you like looking at cues:

Attachments

• hugopatinacue.jpg
    hugopatinacue.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 877
  • noelmendozacues.jpg
    noelmendozacues.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 872
Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Raffle

Noel Mendoza is donating one of his Schuler style cues, the Hugo Patino model, for raffle. The proceeds will go into the prize fund.

http://mendozacues.com/SchulerCues.html

The tickets for the raffle are $5 for one ticket or $12 for three tickets.

If anyone wants to buy a ticket, they can paypal me the money with paypal fees: $5.46 for one; $12.67 for three and I will fill out your name, address, etc. and enter your name in the raffle. I am going to be helping run the raffle.

The cue comes with a carom shaft but if a pool player wins, Noel will substitute a pool shaft.

my paypal is gwtlaw@aol.com. The raffle is Sunday, the final day of the tournament.

Attachments

• hugopatinacue.jpg
    hugopatinacue.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 852

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Updated info from Jim Parker, including list of competitors

The IBC ... Schedule of this weeks National Three-cushion Billiard Events.

Weekly Hours: The IBC will open early (9:00 AM) on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, June 11th. Non IBC member tournament contenders and spectators please call the IBC to make arrangements for practice and spectator availability. Practice at regular membership rates for all from Wednesday through Friday.

Additional parking in the IBC's rear parking lot, street parking, village park in rear of club and also the village parking lot across from the Post Office.

Friday, June 12, 2010 and throughout the entire weekend: Enter and Exit through Bonnie's cafe's front entrance only. The club's front and rear entrance will not be in use other than for emergency.
Beginning at 6:00 PM Friday evening preceding the Joe Diaz Saturday tournament the IBC will host a witnessed blind draw for Saturday's pairings and starting times ... tournament contenders do not have to be present, but must call the club the same evening between 7:00 and 8:00 PM to be given their specific Saturday starting time ... (708) 839-1331.

Immediately following the Friday draw the IBC will host a "winner take all," single elimination, 10 point, $15 entrance fee ($10 prize fund /$5 club charge) rapid-fire and open to all ... "Beat the Pros" warm-up tournament. Bonnie's is a full service restaurant, coffee cafe and ice cream parlor and will be staffed to service any and all food and beverages. Therefore, food and/or beverages will not be allowed to be brought in from outside sources, and with Bonnie's fully staffed, the IBC honor system will not apply for the three day event. Therefore, all beverages, including beer and wine along with Bonnie's lunch menu can be ordered and/or purchased in the cafe only.

Saturday, June 12, 2010: Coffee and pastries can be purchased when doors open at 8:00 AM. All tournament contenders and spectators must register and payments completed immediately upon entering the cafe and preceding entry to the club.

Contender Entrance Fee: $50

Spectators: Open to the public.

Admissions: IBC members in good standing … NC. General Public … $7.00 per day or $12 for both days. As a courtesy of my wife Bonnie along with all of us at the IBC and the legendary "Simonis Billiard Cloth Co." ... http://www.simoniscloth.com/ , all admission fees shall be added to the player's prize fund. Also added to the players prize fund will be all monies collected from the raffle of a handsomely designed and artistically produced custom billiard cue made by *Mr. Noel Mendoza and his "Schuler Cue" ... http://www.mendozacues.com/

*Mr. Mendoza studied under the legendary Ray Schuler for some 15 years, and today, has carried on Ray's dream of building fine billiard cues to the word!

Format: Prelims played on Saturday / Four ... 4 player round robin brackets / Three ... 15 point games played by all contenders. Top 4 contenders will be seeded into all 4 brackets. All brackets will rotate throughout the preliminaries.

Example:
9:00 AM / Set 1 ... Bracket A / players 1 & 2 compete on table one at the same time as players 3 & 4 compete on table two.
10:00 AM / Set 2 ... Bracket B / players 1 & 2 compete on table one at the same time as players 3 & 4 compete on table two.
11:00 AM / Set 3 ... Bracket C / players 1 & 2 compete on table one at the same time as players 3 & 4 compete on table two.
12: 00 PM / Set 4 ... Bracket D / players 1 & 2 compete on table one at the same time as players 3 & 4 compete on table two.

The same match rotation format will continue until all matches are complete. Saturday's estimated completion time ... 9:00 PM. One top finalist from each bracket advances to a 30 point, four player round robin played the following day, Sunday, June 13, 2010.

Finals: Sunday, June 13, 2010. Lunch will be available when doors open at 11:00 AM.
First game scheduled at "High Noon" ... with or without Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly!!

Estimated completion time: 6:00 PM ... Directly followed by an awards presentation, autograph signing and photo shoot.

"Committed National IBC Tournament Contenders"
Arnie Kupec
Todd Waicosky
Jorge Leon
Dennis Douberteen
George Ashby
Rich Conboy
George Theobald
Brian Haff
Phelipe Razon
Bill Kim
Tony Chavez
Hugo Patino
Adrian Viguera
Paul Dryer
Pete Rincon
Pafael Hernandez

First alternate ... Rudy Campos
Second alternate ... Bob Youman
Third alternate ... Rich Klein

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Open Letter from enthusiastic player Arnie Kupec

Well Folks,

Yours truly will be competing in his first three cushion billiard tournament since his college career. The Illinois Billiard Club, an interesting and unusual place in itself, is sponsoring the event this coming Saturday and Sunday, June 12th and 13th. The game is a fascinating sport requiring skill, intelligence and imagination.

I will be playing three matches on Saturday (and only a small chance on Sunday) at times yet to be determined. If you have any interest in coming ($7.00 admission for non-members) let me know via e-mail and I will get back to you late Friday evening after the drawing for starting times. Inasmuch as some of the contenders are current and former national champions and I am but a lowly middle-ground player, I’ll, no doubt, be soundly thrashed. But I will have fun and learn a great deal.

Three cushion billiards is a not-so-popular sport here in America but very interesting to watch if not to play. Good players make shots one can hardly dream of, hitting as many as five, six or even seven rails before connecting on a ‘billiard’. It is easy to learn the rules, so as a spectator one need not know the game before watching it, and most people wind up gasping and moaning on both close misses and great shots, i.e. it is fun to watch.

Jim parker, the owner, serves great food and ice cream. So you can either munch on a sandwich or treat yourself to a (very high quality) ice cream delight while you are there. For those of you who enjoy the ‘good life,’ you might also consider a St. Pauli Girl, Corona, or even a Miller Lite (ugh). (Where else can you go and have one person enjoy a Sundae while the other enjoys a beer?)

So consider taking some time out and boogieing on over to Bonnie’s Dining/ Illinois Billiard Club in Willow Springs on Archer for an unusual couple of hours – at any one or more of the scheduled times I (or any of the others) will be playing. There will be action all day and, I believe, into the early evening (one might even consider a dinner there). It will be a very unusual get together of some great and not-so-great players in the country today – in the friendly old-fashioned atmosphere of the billiard club and adjoining dining room.

Details are below. Read all the way through for location and parking info.

Arnie

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Bump for Raffle of Mendoza cue

Noel Mendoza was at the tournament yesterday showing some of his fancier cues, selling a shaft, helping someone adjust the weights on his cue and smiling a lot.

Hugo Patino was playing with a beautiful custom Mendoza cue.

Raffle for the donated goes off today around the finals. 6:00 p.m.

I'm leaving the house by 11, so if someone wants a chance for the cue let me know, send me 5.46 for one chance or 12.67 for three chances to paypal
gwtlaw@aol.com.

We have about $300 generated by the raffle so far.The players who are there today already bought their raffle tickets yesterday so I would imagine the total amount of chances out there won't get much higher.

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
The finalists are Hugo Patino, Adrian Viguera, Felipe Razon and Raphael Hernandez. Today they will play a round robin of 30 point games to determine the final standings. If you're in the Chicago area, admission is $7 (free to Illinois Billiard Club members). Admission fees are added to the prize money, as are the proceeds of the Mendoza cue raffle. Stop on by!

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Results

1st: Felipe Razon
2nd: Hugo Patino
3rd: Adrian Viguera
4th: Raphael Hernandez