Good LBM

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I need some white LBM for ferrules, I tried Ageis II and wasn't happy with it. It looked translucent when at final size and not the solid white that the LBM they used to have. I like to use it for break ferrules. Basically, I know the suppliers, but which place supplies the best? Please PM me, don't post it here.
Dave

radge69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If someone wouldn't mind passing the info to me as well, I'd appreciate it. I've been on the hunt for awhile now and haven't been happy with what I've been getting.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one from guitarparts has streaks in it.
Did a ferrule with the LBM from Schmelke here the other day, much whiter and uniform in colour and texture. I see Joe sells LBM rods too, but I have not tried it.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
The one from guitarparts has streaks in it.
Did a ferrule with the LBM from Schmelke here the other day, much whiter and uniform in colour and texture. I see Joe sells LBM rods too, but I have not tried it.

Was it dirt streaks or more like a grainwork streak? I'm looking for the solid white or off white, not the translucent white of the ageis II. As far as Joe....if I was handcuffed to a bomb, and he had the key... I wouldn't buy the key from him..
Dave

Kingpin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was it dirt streaks or more like a grainwork streak? I'm looking for the solid white or off white, not the translucent white of the ageis II. As far as Joe....if I was handcuffed to a bomb, and he had the key... I wouldn't buy the key from him..
Dave
That's funny right there.:)

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave

Grain streaks. Or rather grain streak, one streak that obviously runs through the whole rod.
Oher than that streak, the LBM is good quality. I just it was whiter and without the streak in it..

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Grain streaks. Or rather grain streak, one streak that obviously runs through the whole rod.
Oher than that streak, the LBM is good quality. I just it was whiter and without the streak in it..

Ok, thanks. I know on their site they call it 'ivory-like' so I would think it may have some graiwork to resemble ivory.
I have a foot ordered, so I'll see.
Dave

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member

Got it in and compared it to the Ageis II, it looks identical, and when held to a light, it was just as translucent, and the streak appears to show that it's flat sheet turned round...:(. It's not bad stuff, just that I want the solid white that LBM used to be...:shrug:
Schmelke is next on the list to try...
dave

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
The best LBM was made by Spaulding, but it's no longer made. It was hard, clean, and bright opaque white. Perfect stuff for cue ferrules, but gone the way of the dinosaurs.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
All I'm really looking for is the type of LBM that Atlas used to sell and McDermott used to have on their cues. How does the ivorine 4 compare?
Just want the old style white LBM...:confused:
Dave

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
All I'm really looking for is the type of LBM that Atlas used to sell and McDermott used to have on their cues. How does the ivorine 4 compare?

Dave

I believe Ideologist made an offer here 3 posts back.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave

I believe Ivorine 4 is heavier, and harder.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave

I actually just spoke with McDermott about that. They stopped using it because it simply doesn't exist anymore. Anyhow, the material was hygroscopic and was a constant source of problems. If you look at any old McDermott shaft, the ferrule doesn't fit well anymore.

He said they use Juma for ferrules now. Apparently Ivorine 3 was nice as well, but people didn't like the visible weave. Again, this is just what he told me, but he seemed to feel like Juma was a good replacement for the old linen ferrules. It came up because I have an old McDermott shaft that I need to replace the ferrule on, and I wanted to know what a good choice would be.

Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I actually just spoke with McDermott about that. They stopped using it because it simply doesn't exist anymore. Anyhow, the material was hygroscopic and was a constant source of problems. If you look at any old McDermott shaft, the ferrule doesn't fit well anymore.

He said they use Juma for ferrules now. Apparently Ivorine 3 was nice as well, but people didn't like the visible weave. Again, this is just what he told me, but he seemed to feel like Juma was a good replacement for the old linen ferrules. It came up because I have an old McDermott shaft that I need to replace the ferrule on, and I wanted to know what a good choice would be.

Contact Bob Dzuricky. Ask him about Tomahawk. :cool:

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contact Bob Dzuricky. Ask him about Tomahawk. :cool:

Actually, I was meaning to contact you about that material soon. Apparently I have some sort of Hightower cue lathe thingy that I ordered showing up end up April sometime, so I should probably start ordering some parts I can butcher. :) Is Bob the distributor now, or is it direct through you?

Anyhow, I did play with Ivorine-3. I don't know how to describe it. I thought it played on the harder side but didn't seem like it transmitted crisp feedback. I would have thought the two would be synonymous. The weave WAS actually pretty distracting, too. That's all just nitpicking though. It was still a nice hit and played well. Seemed to have just a bit less deflection than the old linen ferrules too, so I can only assume it's a little lighter.

(edit: maybe the best way to describe it is it seemed to deaden all of the high frequency vibration....firm hit, but it felt dead and made it hard to adjust my stroke from shot to shot. Just my opinion, though.)

Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Actually, I was meaning to contact you about that material soon. Apparently I have some sort of Hightower cue lathe thingy that I ordered showing up end up April sometime, so I should probably start ordering some parts I can butcher. :) Is Bob the distributor now, or is it direct through you?

Anyhow, I did play with Ivorine-3. I don't know how to describe it. I thought it played on the harder side but didn't seem like it transmitted crisp feedback. I would have thought the two would be synonymous. The weave WAS actually pretty distracting, too. That's all just nitpicking though. It was still a nice hit and played well. Seemed to have just a bit less deflection than the old linen ferrules too, so I can only assume it's a little lighter.

Bob has some right now. He gets it from me. Please PM me for any further information. Thank you, and have a great day. :cool:
j2