Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page a balanced observation- ?
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member

evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-04-2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post
I have got three in the last couple of months.

Two of them I haven't shot with yet. One came just yesterday.

I ordered all of them to have a balance point at around 19 inches or there about. All three have a balance point between 19 and 20 inches.

One of the cues is 60 inches and the other two are 58 inches.

All of the shafts between the three cues will fit any of the butts since they are all .850 diameter and have the same 3/8-10 pins. Between those three cues and a Mike Gulyassy 60 inch cue, I have 12 shafts that I can choose from. Some are 29 inch shafts and some are 30 inch shafts and there is a little bit of weight differences between the shafts so I have quite a variation to choose from to mix and match lengths and balance points.

The cue on the top is a Jackpot from the second batch. It is ebony with a camphor burl handle, cored with purple heart by Larry Vigus. It is a 60 inch cue.

The cue in the middle is a John Chaplin cue. It is cocobolo with a sindora burl handle and the entire butt is cored with purple heart. It is a 58 inch cue.

The cue on the bottom is a Jackpot from the first batch. It is ebony with a maple handle and is a 58" cue.
nice collection..thanks for sharing
I haven't collected many cues
so it's neat to see a bunch of goodies together
the top three..
the handles are a different wood, but don't appear wrapped as your other cues are
how come?
and thanks for marking your balance points..that gives me ideas (which I will thoughtfully? move to another thread ^_^)

A billiard table is that richest of metaphors,
by turns a theatre, an altar, touchstone, gauntlet,
ritual ground, a gunfighter's high noon, a refuge,
a verdant landscape for balls to scatter and rest in meaningful synchronicity,
a classroom, a karma dance, mirror of moods, a guide and trusted friend...

-- from grissim's "billiards"

Old
  (#17)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

05-04-2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergruven View Post
nice collection..thanks for sharing
I haven't collected many cues
so it's neat to see a bunch of goodies together
the top three..
the handles are a different wood, but don't appear wrapped as your other cues are
how come?
and thanks for marking your balance points..that gives me ideas (which I will thoughtfully? move to another thread ^_^)
I usually have sweaty hands and the pool hall air conditioning isn't the greatest in the world, so I got tired of my linen wraps getting sweaty and decided to get a few cues that didn't have wraps.

That makes them easier to wipe down and keep clean. Also, I was using a carbon fiber Becue for a long time and the butt is carbon fiber without a wrap, so I was already used to no wrap.

I think I have 6 or 7 cues now that do not have a wrap.

The Hustler

Such a man spends all his life playing every day for small stakes. Give him every morning the money that he may gain during the day, on condition that he does not play-you will make him unhappy. It will perhaps be said what he seeks is the amusement of play, not gain. Let him play then for nothing, he will lose interest and be wearied. ***Blaise Pascal***

Old
  (#18)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member

evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

05-04-2020, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post
I usually have sweaty hands and the pool hall air conditioning isn't the greatest in the world, so I got tired of my linen wraps getting sweaty and decided to get a few cues that didn't have wraps.

That makes them easier to wipe down and keep clean. Also, I was using a carbon fiber Becue for a long time and the butt is carbon fiber without a wrap, so I was already used to no wrap.

I think I have 6 or 7 cues now that do not have a wrap.
thanks, makes sense
I like the look and feel of wrapless myself
but sometimes a wrap does look nice..
looks like you found the best of both worlds

A billiard table is that richest of metaphors,
by turns a theatre, an altar, touchstone, gauntlet,
ritual ground, a gunfighter's high noon, a refuge,
a verdant landscape for balls to scatter and rest in meaningful synchronicity,
a classroom, a karma dance, mirror of moods, a guide and trusted friend...

-- from grissim's "billiards"

Old
  (#19)
gogg
AzB Silver Member
gogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond reputegogg has a reputation beyond repute

05-04-2020, 02:19 PM

Just the difference between weighting with a steel joint and a phenolic joint moves the balance forward a little bit.
Some cues, that feels like enough

Even a bad day at the table is better than a good day at work!

A man, as a general rule,owes very little to what he is born with.
A man is what he makes of himself.
Alexander Graham Bell

Old
  (#20)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

05-05-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergruven View Post
I was recently handling a cue as if I might actually hit a ball with it
timber up, my grip hand instinctively went to a place so close to the balance point,
that the shaft didn't feel adequately weighted upon my open bridge hand
and I thought, the balance point of this cue is clearly not far enough forward for my liking
so, I moved my grip hand backward to compensate, and my bridge hand followed back with it
my *entire body* followed suit, and where I'd desired to be one with my wand
I could only feel as though my wand was now waving me!
some magician.
sure I could play, but thurston and houdini
seemed so far away..
and I thought
rather than deal with all this hocus-pocus
wouldn't it be better to simply possess a cue that was balanced evenly to begin with?
further I wondered
how many other people go through these same motions?
and do they realize that for each one of us, each of us unique
there is a cue that exists, or can be made
that will meet us in the middle
Hey gruven,

You don't need to buy a custom cue to have most any cue balanced the way you like it.

For $60 or $70 my cue guy will take the pin out, add desired weight to nose of butt and install new pin. Bam.....new balance point.

Any competent cue guy can move the balance point forward or back for very little money. It's a very, very easy fix. So, if you like the way a cue looks, you can also like the way it plays.

Have a good one sir and be safe.

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: