9 ball break technique on a bar box

NastyNate13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to preface this topic by saying I play mostly on 9ft and my break is mediocre at best.

For the SBE, practicing on bar tables is a must and figuring out the break has been a problem for me.

After watching the Scotty Townsend tourney this weekend, 99% of the players broke from the side rail and made balls with ease.

Dennis Orcollo's break has been the most effective (uh duh, he won 1st) but he broke very similar to a 10 ball break only an inch or two from the head spot. He was making the corner ball and drawing the white for position on the 1 ball straight back.

Any tips or general help for someone to practice their break on a bar box?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I know they will be using the magic rack there for the events, which means a medium speed break will make the corner ball if 1 is hit from the side. If the corner is not going for you, a slightly off center 3/4 speed hit should make the 1 in the side. There is really no difference in how you would break for table size, it's more adjustments for how the balls rack.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I know they will be using the magic rack there for the events, which means a medium speed break will make the corner ball if 1 is hit from the side. If the corner is not going for you, a slightly off center 3/4 speed hit should make the 1 in the side. There is really no difference in how you would break for table size, it's more adjustments for how the balls rack.

I believe the expo web site states they are using plastic racks.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to preface this topic by saying I play mostly on 9ft and my break is mediocre at best.

For the SBE, practicing on bar tables is a must and figuring out the break has been a problem for me.

After watching the Scotty Townsend tourney this weekend, 99% of the players broke from the side rail and made balls with ease.

Dennis Orcollo's break has been the most effective (uh duh, he won 1st) but he broke very similar to a 10 ball break only an inch or two from the head spot. He was making the corner ball and drawing the white for position on the 1 ball straight back.

I never play on barboxes except at the expo and I usually practice on a Diamond 7 footer a week before expo. I am changing it up this year as I have played in a few expo's and will not practice on a 7 footer this year. I want all shots to look like short shots, especially in my first match.
You don't need a power stroke on the Diamond 7 footers with Simonis. Much softer play and english moves the ball rather than power IMHO.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rules for breaking on a barbox:
1. Dont scratch
B. Dont jump cb off the table
1. Dont lave cb below side pocket after the break.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
This is as simple as it gets, get yourself a pint of preferably a microbrew or import, sorry, American classics such as Budweiser and such is not acceptable, unless maybe Boston lager or yuengling as far as commercialized beers go, down it as fast as possible, my record is two seconds for a pint, 23 seconds for a pitcher, yes, I do have talent outside of pool, wait a few seconds to digest and settle properly, clutch the warped house cue, bar cue?, and hit firmly. If you're playing 9 ball, which on a bar table is questionable, a control break is best. A Corey deuel break video is recommended. But simply put, the beer is a must. Period. Good luck.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For what it's worth, lots of the players at the BCA barbox events last summer (US Open 10-ball and 8-ball) broke with their bridge hand on the end rail.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member

Kinda gave yourself advice from your description. Did you try them out to see what works for you?

Chops02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not that my bar table break is anything stellar, but typically i break slightly less than a diamond right of center and a little more than a diamond off the end rail. i'll vary that spot a little to find where balls are going in from and hit it firm but not hard. seems to work pretty well. on the bar table for me, it's always about finding the right speed for the break.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
not that my bar table break is anything stellar, but typically i break slightly less than a diamond right of center and a little more than a diamond off the end rail. i'll vary that spot a little to find where balls are going in from and hit it firm but not hard. seems to work pretty well. on the bar table for me, it's always about finding the right speed for the break.

To tack on to this (and believe me, Chops has a good bb 9/10 ball break) The building at the Expo is going to have so many tables. Try tables on each side of the room. Then find the one you're playing on when they list your match. Try a couple breaks out on your table.

They'll give you a few minutes practice time. Enjoy!