Porper B lathe value .....?

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
I understand you can not buy a new Porper B Lathe right now.
If a fella had one of the late models in very good condition with accessory's ... in other words a complete cue lathe setup ... would $4000 be out of line to ask?

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
I think you would be better off buying a 14x40 metal lathe if your spending that much

If you factor in the total cost (all the extra bits and pieces) of getting a full size lathe into your shop and set up for cue making you will find the cost well over $4000.
The Porper B is what it is and for the money will ... in the hands of a skilled craftsman ... make nice pool cues. There are better that cost more and worse that cost less.

Remember there is more to making a pool cue than just turning wood in a lathe.

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
the accuracy isn't close to a heavy duty metal lathe at least some cue makers have said

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started with metal lathes and have three, each dedicated to doing certain tasks. In the last few years I acquired two Porper lathes to add to my shop and have found uses for both. One of the Porpers required a full rebuild and is the early model with no carriage and it has become my sanding and polishing lathe. In my opinion they are OK at a lot of things and make good secondary lathes. If this machine is in premium condition and has all the accessories then 4000 seems to be about what they are going for.

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
I bought one last year for $500.... It was a great deal.... I use it almost daily just messing around...