Layered tips - what am I missing - HELP

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Some people love layered Tips, I personally like the Tiger Emerald. It's my preference, and many people have their favorite.

It all personal preference. Somepeople still love the old LePro, because they work. Very cheap, and work.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Layered tips will leave little fly specks on the cue ball. That’s the glue.
I tried one and cut it off shortly after misscueing and finding the specks of glue on the cue ball.
Triangle is my tip choice.
Never seen glue specks. EVER. Triangles are ok IF you get a good one. I don't like paying 15bux to get one put on and have it play like shit or fluff up after 2-3 weeks. I'm currently using a Thoroughbred and it is one fine tip. Way better than any LePro or Triangle i've ever gotten.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I have a tip on my cue. No clue what the make is, and can't say with any certainty if it's layered or not. Although I think it safe to assume it is.

I had to switch cue guys a while back. Handed him my Z2 shaft and said, "Put the hardest, non-break tip you have on it, and trim it down a 1/3rd." Cost...? No idea. He knows people fixate on what other players use, and knows I have no problem steering them his way.

After a few miles, I'll use a pick to allow the chalk to embed in the top (layer?). Do I miscue...?..., of course, everyone does. Anyone that says otherwise is trying to sell you something. That said, I'm also one of those crazy players that chalks his cue before every shot...lol

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
My issues with layered

First off, when I was installing tips a bad layer would crumble during a normal install leaving me to eat a tip. Not much leather and glue for eight bucks!(yeah, been awhile since I installed layered tips) Then there are two issues, delamination and ripping the top off when that layer gets thin and the consistency issue. glue impregnated leather and leather don't play the same. Tried two layered tips lately, both delaminated. Using one that came on my CF shaft now, so far so good other than a lot of miscues. Two elkmaster tips on other shafts, can't remember the last miscue with either.

Hu