What drives me mad sometimes

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
is can throw nine balls out on the table and make them all in order (provided they're all in the open) say six or seven times out of ten, playing as fast as i can. one stroking, like i'm playing speed pool. literally just running round the table banging all the balls in like luc salvas playing espn speed pool. even if i say to myself "i'm gonna miss this" (to try and put myself off), i still make the ball.

yet if i try to play 'properly'. cueing all my shots properly and putting a nice stroke on them all, i will balls it up more often. especially medium to difficult shots. they are gimme's if i just slam them in but if i cue them properly there's a good chance i'll miss. now my stroke is decent ish. there's the basics of a good stroke in there and it's not just becasue i have a bad stroke. i will soldier on however. because i know deep down that even though it's tempting to change my style and 'abandon my stroke' it's not for the best.

i also know that there is definitely some logic in this scenario. because you are playing on pure instinct i believe. whereas if you slow down and cue shots properly, the brain is over-thinking.

anyone else ever noticed this?

PKM

OB-1 Kenobi
Silver Member
Just a possibility, but I suspect you might have a biased view of what's happening. When you're playing that fast, you remember firing in some of those shots easily, but not so much the ones you miss. And with a full pre-shot routine, the shots you made are less likely to stand out.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I definitely know what you're talking about. Something that's become a routine between my buddy and I - he'll say he has time for maybe 1 more, and I'll say "speed pool". We then shoot 8 ball at warp speed and see if we can cram in 3 or 4 racks in 10 minutes. We usually can, and what I notice is that we make absolutely insane shots without having enough time to properly focus on them. Sometimes I also feel like we can nail careful, touchy positions shooting instinctively this way.

Don't think we play perfectly (or even very well) this way, as often as I'll hit perfect position I'll overhit a ball 3 feet or something. But there's a real chance that shooting on pure instinct works. I dunno if it's good for you but it's pretty fun. Part of what makes it work for me is that I can fall back on my old bad habit of throwing in every ball with outside english, so it's probably bad for me.

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
CreeDo said:
I definitely know what you're talking about. Something that's become a routine between my buddy and I - he'll say he has time for maybe 1 more, and I'll say "speed pool". We then shoot 8 ball at warp speed and see if we can cram in 3 or 4 racks in 10 minutes. We usually can, and what I notice is that we make absolutely insane shots without having enough time to properly focus on them. Sometimes I also feel like we can nail careful, touchy positions shooting instinctively this way.

Don't think we play perfectly (or even very well) this way, as often as I'll hit perfect position I'll overhit a ball 3 feet or something. But there's a real chance that shooting on pure instinct works. I dunno if it's good for you but it's pretty fun. Part of what makes it work for me is that I can fall back on my old bad habit of throwing in every ball with outside english, so it's probably bad for me.

nice response creedo. what i think i might experiment with is perhaps shooting the real tough shots (in competition) fast and on instinct. hey if i'm most likely gonna miss em anyway i might as well try a new technique.

also, you say you go back to your old habit of throwing balls in with outside. is this nescecerilly a bad thing? a touch of outside on most shots is nice, pockets the ball a bit more naturally. although you may be saying you put too much english on and try to hit the ball too thick. i know where you're coming from here.

and pkm, i think you probably are right to a certain extent, although i still think there is definitely something in the playing on instinct theory.

a9ballbr8k

Don't anger my stakehorse
Silver Member
Whats the problem? Do what works for you. And maybe make some money too? I'll bet people will play some sets with you thinking you don't know how to play because your a "smasher", but then you drive em nuts like its second nature running the table 7 outta 10 times. Why change?

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
haha, I dunno, I wouldn't bet again if a guy whips me in 1 minute flat running out. I wouldn't figure "banger" I'd figure "pro who sees a rack that's so routine he can do it half conscious".

A touch of outside is nice to cancel throw, but I used to do enough to make the cue ball actually curve a fair amount, often slow-rolling thin cuts in with lots of outside. I'd even shoot slight angle cuts by hitting them directly in the face and just changing how slow I hit and how much outside I put on it. I'm definitely better abandoning that method.

Let us know the result of speed shooting the tough shots. I wouldn't rush yourself, but I might recommend consciously avoiding overthinking it and second guessing. Maybe two-stroking the ball earl-style might be a nice medium between 0-1 strokes (which is what I'm doing with my buddy) and ralf souquet-ing the shot.

chilli66

the chilli is back!
Silver Member
Sounds like my style of play! I've found lately that the longer I take over my shots the more I miss. If I'm playing well I tend to play pretty fast. At least that's my opinion, my captain seems to think I play at warp speed!

It's just what I'm comfortable with when I'm shooting well. I do think I play quicker now than I did years ago though.

a9ballbr8k

Don't anger my stakehorse
Silver Member
WaLa- another perfectly executed shot!

WaLa? LOL. Is that the same as voila?!! Sorry had to do it :p

By the way excellent response to the thread. I my self have a pretty fast shot and move around the table pretty quickly. Everybody says "whoa, slow down man". Now I don't play at warp speed, but it's a speed I am comfortable with. I find that if or when I slow down, I start to second guess myself. Then I miss because of my concious, but when I play at my speed my sub-concious takes over and I'm more like a machine potting those balls.

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lately, when I practice, I've been trying to work on my stroke. Mostly I've been trying to develop a straight level cue action. I used to steer my shots on the follow through, and now with a better stroke I seem to have forgotten how to aim.

I also have worked on slowing down my game and being more intentional about my pre shot routine. I know all of these things are supposed to benefit one's game in the long run, but for the time being it is frustrating. I too definitely shoot better when I just play relatively fast and don't over-think. I suppose the goal is to have the good stroke be second nature. I guess that's the tough part, and sometimes I wonder if that day will ever come.

CreeDo said:
Maybe two-stroking the ball earl-style might be a nice medium between 0-1 strokes (which is what I'm doing with my buddy) and ralf souquet-ing the shot.
That's funny CreeDo!!

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Neil. I know what it is that I need to do, sometimes it's just tough to actually take a step back in order to take those steps forward.

One thing I will say is that playing the way I used to, fast and loose, tends to be more fun than all that focusing stuff. LOL Then again winning is more fun than losing so I guess it evens out. :)

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
some more good posts thanks ladies, especially neil touching on the sub-conscience mind part of it. this was the whole point of the thread tbh, i definitely knew there was something in what was happening, not just my mind playing tricks on me or something!