My answer for Royal Pro cloth

yesyura

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to Carom Cafe this weekend for second time, first one was about a month ago. I am not a good player like Jaspers, so will not mention how it plays. As I meet the room owners and people who own billiard table at their homes, many people asked me about the new cloth in the market, Royal Pro.
There are some factors when you decide what cloth to put on, playability, durability, color, holes made from abusive shots,,,,,,,. At this time, I can tell you one thing, color. That cloth was put on 3 months ago, the color from the ball mark showed too bad considering wool cloth. I am not a salesman, I am a table guy putting cloth on the table, I will keep posting about this cloth every 3 months. Photos attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20150724_175010297.jpg
    IMG_20150724_175010297.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_20150724_175020051.jpg
    IMG_20150724_175020051.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_20150724_175028328.jpg
    IMG_20150724_175028328.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 462

iralee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In truth, the Royal Pro depicted was installed at Carom Cafe on the back table nearly 4 months ago in early April and have been getting a TON of play since so many players really love how it plays. Even with the heat turned down, the table plays long and English stays lively on the ball past the 4th rail. On a second Verhoeven table with RP at Carom Cafe, where I could control the conditions, I only vacuumed the table once in 4 months (intentionally), had the heat turned completely off, and with the cloth stretched medium tight, it still played like brand new tournament conditions - which is quite amazing if you ask me. Not all rooms in the country vacuum and heat their tables like Carom Cafe does - so this is a godsend for players that wish to prepare for tournament conditions in their hometown. This month, CC installed it's 3rd Royal Pro cloth, with more on the way in the future...

Royal Pro is good stuff.... but don't take my word for it, ask Ceulemans. His family turned me onto it.

Ira

Last edited:

kilby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having maintained carom tables for now more than 20 years, I am tempted to try the cloth, but the photos give me pause. First the measles seem excessive compared to similar aged wool cloth. Second the fading in the play area compared to the area near the rails that the balls don't touch appears excessive. I am interested in how much stretch there is in the cloth, as controlling the tension on the rail cloth in particular affects how long the table plays (not the only factor I understand). That the pros like the cloth is fine, but they get to play on new cloth at nearly every tournament -- most rooms change their cloth once a year if that. I am interested in how accurately the table plays over the course of a year, not necessarily how "long" it plays. (I once put plastic tape on the nose of the rails to see how it influenced table length and promptly carried 14 rails when I could keep the ball on the table -- long but not accurate.) Comments, please?

zensteve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Ron. I am disappointed in comments you made based solely on pictures you looked at. On the positive side it is good to see you posting. We can use experienced installers and cue designers like yourself to make more posts on carom forums/sites. Keep it up. You have a lot of knowledge.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
In truth, the Royal Pro depicted was installed at Carom Cafe on the back table nearly 4 months ago in early April and have been getting a TON of play since so many players really love how it plays. Even with the heat turned down, the table plays long and English stays lively on the ball past the 4th rail. On a second Verhoeven table with RP at Carom Cafe, where I could control the conditions, I only vacuumed the table once in 4 months (intentionally), had the heat turned completely off, and with the cloth stretched medium tight, it still played like brand new tournament conditions - which is quite amazing if you ask me. Not all rooms in the country vacuum and heat their tables like Carom Cafe does - so this is a godsend for players that wish to prepare for tournament conditions in their hometown. This month, CC installed it's 3rd Royal Pro cloth, with more on the way in the future...

Royal Pro is good stuff.... but don't take my word for it, ask Ceulemans. His family turned me onto it.

Ira

that is amazing

pros like it, i like it
cheaper, can use little to no heating, and dont need cleaning as much
whats not to like?

simonis also looks bad in a heavy traffic room here in houston after some time also
so i guess if looks mean that much to you by all means continue with the older more expensive thing

for the home table, theres nothing better
never using anything else on my tables

Last edited: