8 ball rules question

brazzman

Registered
I've pocketed all of my solids and am shooting the 8 ball. Opponents stripe sits in the jaws of corner pocket and the 8 ball sits a couple of inches away. I call the 8 ball in that corner pocket. I hit the 8 ball which hits opponent's stripe ball. The 8 ball follows the stripe into the pocket - which I called. Is it a legal win for me or what? Opponent says not because his stripe was first into the pocket. I disagree because I hit the 8 ball first and it went into the called pocket.

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
You win game..... Some bar room game people want you to call every shot even a carom or billiard shot.. But in general, If you call a pocket for the 8 ball and you make a good hit, as long as the ball goes in the pocket you called with no foul, you win. Even if you shoot hard and miss, then the 8 ball travels a few rails and finds its way back to the pocket you called and goes in, you still win.....

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Excellent use of Draw English Sir and a valid unequivocal victory. Indubitably so...

Perspicaciously yours,

Lesh

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Appears as if you are playing in a bar against bangers.

I have always found that those types will always come up with a way to challenge a win.

In one game the 8 ball was next to the rail 1/4 of the ball blocking the pocket. One of my balls was behind it along the same rail. I caromed a ball off the 8 to move it and open the pocket for that ball that was behind it. The player called foul because the 8 ball was poison and couldn't be used to make a ball.

🎱

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Excellent use of Draw English Sir and a valid unequivocal victory. Indubitably so...

Perspicaciously yours,

Lesh

I concur with you. For that shot to work very good the 2nd ball in needs to be rolling which the draw on the QB imparts on the object ball, especially when the 2nd ball in is close to the first ball. If there is a good distance between the 2 balls the 2nd ball will start rolling on its own. It amazes me how me people do not understand this. Some people think QB should be hit with follow so that QB will roll up and knock second ball in the hole. Everything has to be laser straight to even think that will work.

To answer OPs question, most definitely a win for him, great shot !!!!

brazzman

Registered
Thanks all for confirming my win on this shot. Thinking back, I did get lucky because the QB was across side on the rail next to side pocket so I had no choice but to strike it with follow. Yeah, he's a ball banger!

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
It depends on what universe you're playing in. There's more differing rules in 8 ball than any game I know of. Many of them are made up after a 12 pack...

If you called the 8 "with contact" off the stripe, then the opponent has no contention after the fact IMO.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
You win game..... Some bar room game people want you to call every shot even a carom or billiard shot.

Which is one reason why I quit playing in bars a long, long time ago.

I once had a guy claim my shot didn't count because the object ball hit the side of the pocket as it went in and I didn't call that.