Did I choke?

ByronJr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night in my APA match me and my opponent were on the hill. I had three balls and then the eight. I ran the two all while staying in line. The shot the ball right before the eight & it just hung in the pocket it did not drop causing me to lose. For some odd reason I cant stop thinking about this shot. Did I choke or was it just not my day. This is a shot I make on the regular.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Last night in my APA match me and my opponent were on the hill. I had three balls and then the eight. I ran the two all while staying in line. The shot the ball right before the eight & it just hung in the pocket it did not drop causing me to lose. For some odd reason I cant stop thinking about this shot. Did I choke or was it just not my day. This is a shot I make on the regular.

I don't often use the word "choke". To me, it is only choking if you felt an undue amount of pressure before and during the shot. If you were as "calm as a cucumber" when you pulled the trigger, then you simply "dogged" the shot.

IMO, there's a difference.

Maniac

ByronJr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
interesting

I don't often use the word "choke". To me, it is only choking if you felt an undue amount of pressure before and during the shot. If you were as "calm as a cucumber" when you pulled the trigger, then you simply "dogged" the shot.

IMO, there's a difference.

Maniac

Thats a different way to look at it. I guess I felt like I choked because I know I can make that shot and when it counted most I didnt.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I guess I felt like I choked because I know I can make that shot and when it counted most I didnt.

It happens to ALL poolplayers, some more than others (hence, the varying skill levels).

Maniac (definitely in the "some more than others" category :embarrassed2:)

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess I felt like I choked because I know I can make that shot and when it counted most I didnt.

You are not alone. Been there. Done that. Still there. Will do it again but I'm working on it.

Last edited:

ByronJr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maniac

It happens to ALL poolplayers, some more than others (hence, the varying skill levels).

Maniac (definitely in the "some more than others" category :embarrassed2:)

lmao, apparently I'm right there with you

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try this next time: if you miss an easy shot look at you opponent while pointing to the ball and say "Hey, did you see that? That ball skidded on me!" Seems to be what I hear the pros say all the time.

Seriously though, I seem to be blessed by bad pool memory. I can miss a dozen balls in a match and not be able to remember more then one or two afterwards. For the big ones i remember, time heals all wounds.

- Jeff in Frisco

Bowmer

"Shooter"
Silver Member
Happens to the best of them.:wink: Don't worry about it too much. You will make more often than not. Sometimes they just don't fall.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member

You didnt mention anything about how you was feeling.My guess you just missed.We all know when we choke dont we.No need to ask.:smile:
I've choked a lot, even before pulling the trigger.You just know.;)
I used to have the hardest time letting misses go(still do a little).
Just gotta except it and have a beer for each time you miss.
Wont take long it wont bother you anymore.:D

Last edited:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
You choked, but we've all been there, done that. The trick is to get by it. It had probably become so routine that you forgot to focus. In your next match take a couple of extra seconds with each shot, make sure your mind is right. If it doesn't feel good, stand up, re chalk, deep breath, adjust and try it again.
I think read here on AZ one time that there is a trick, I have no idea where it came from or what it does, but it did work for me. You're having a problem focusing - put something small in your left hand and squeeze, I don't understand why but it helps clear your mind and helps you to focus

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be honest with yourself here. Did you feel different mentally about the 8 ball? Did it feel any different than a normal shot?

If so, you "choked" if you want to call it that. You let pressure build up in your mind and missed because of this. If you didn't feel any pressure or difference in the shot, you just missed.

The goal here(easier said than done) is for every shot to feel neutral. Everything concerning pressure is totally a mental issue. The 8 ball is absolutely no different than the first ball you shot that night. Each one can win or lose a match just as easily if you miss. We humans have an uncanny ability to take things that are physically the same and turn them into different and stressful situations in our head.