Ld shaft question?

ByronJr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok am I the only one that seems to make more shots without a low deflection shaft? I been using a 314 predator shaft second gen, and last Monday in my league match I had to borrow a cue since I left mine. Sure enough I played lights out. The cue I played with had a regular maple shaft. Has anyone else found/encountered the same results?

ByronJr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ld shafts

why do you hate them? I know the shaft doesnt affect my aim but it just felt like I had more control than with the 314?

nahog99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally feel like after a few days of shooting with the 314 2 that i make a lot more shots WITH the low deflection shaft. I do however have to be a little more precise with where i hit the cue ball and where i aim. I'm sure after a couple months of shooting with the predator it will become instinct like it was with a maple shaft. The shots that i REALLY notice a difference on are long cut shots down the rail. I like to hot most of those with bottom outside english to get the cue ball back to the middle of the table, or the other end, and with the predator those shots seem far more consistant and easier to make. The predator seems to throw the ball a little more than my old maple shaft probably because I'm hitting the ball more solid with the bottom outside english. With my old shaft if i hit bottom outside i would have to aim inside a bit and let the english do a very small masse before it hit the object ball in order to account for the deflection. Now I for the most part aim where i want to hit the object ball with low outside and hit that spot pretty square. Sometimes it ends up throwing the ball a little more than i want but in my mind that is a good thing because once i master it it will help a lot for when i DO need to throw the ball a lot on a cut shot.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Why on earth would you think a shaft makes balls for you, or improves your skill level?

"This is so weird, I bought new headlights for my truck and got ticketed for running a stop sign. Then a week later I borrowed my cousin's truck and nothing happened. Has anyone else noticed new headlights cause legal problems??"

The shaft only changes where you have to aim. It doesn't improve your consistency.
I've seen lots of guys blame the stick when they lose, but somehow it's even
worse to see a guy giving the stick credit for his good shooting.

ByronJr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ld shaft

I am not sure where you got that I think the shaft makes balls for me. Obviously the one making the balls is me. On the other hand, your story was quite entertaining. In my findings, it was evident that the amount of balls I make with a regular shaft was greater than the amount I make with the ld shaft. I do not blame the equipment I just find that maybe ld shafts aren't best for ME.

Why on earth would you think a shaft makes balls for you, or improves your skill level?

"This is so weird, I bought new headlights for my truck and got ticketed for running a stop sign. Then a week later I borrowed my cousin's truck and nothing happened. Has anyone else noticed new headlights cause legal problems??"

The shaft only changes where you have to aim. It doesn't improve your consistency.
I've seen lots of guys blame the stick when they lose, but somehow it's even
worse to see a guy giving the stick credit for his good shooting.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Remember, there is no such thing as a no squirt/deflection shaft. There are just shafts of varying degrees of squirt/deflection.

You're pocketing balls better with a regular shaft for one night may well have been a result of better focus, knowing you were playing with a different non-familiar cue. Hell maybe it was the butt that was the difference. Is yours solid & the borrowed one spliced?

I hope you get my point. One night does not a career make.

Do you have a regular shaft for your cue? If so, do some experimantation. If not you can generally get a new one off of ebay for under $50.00.

I will say this I had & now have inherited back a 314 Cat that was juiced, sanded down, that I can not play with due to the fact that it will out swerve the squirt on long full table shots. It's awesome in close quarters but too unpredictable on the long ones where one usually needs more 'help'.

Also remember, it's what ever is best for you, whether it be a high end, high cost, LD or a broom stick.

Good Luck in making your final determination.

Regards,

Last edited:

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
A little bit of LD shaft related humor.

A friend of mine was banging balls with Brian Groce a week or so ago... My friend was attempting a shot (I don't remember and it really doesn't matter) and Brian grabbed his cue (with an LD shaft) to show him the shot.

Brian, shooting as if he was using his regular maple shaft, attempted the shot and missed the object ball completely. The look on Brian's face was priceless!!!

I believe the exact quote was.... "What the F@#$ is this!?"

HAH!

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

A friend of mine was banging balls with Brian Groce a week or so ago... My friend was attempting a shot (I don't remember and it really doesn't matter) and Brian grabbed his cue (with an LD shaft) to show him the shot.

Brian, shooting as if he was using his regular maple shaft, attempted the shot and missed the object ball completely. The look on Brian's face was priceless!!!

HAH!

Thanks for the chuckle.

Imagne what an 1800's Indian would say if he saw a compound bow.

Regards,

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member
Recently there are a lot of threads here asking about LD shafts, how good they are? whats the benefit ? and other things.
Now, I am not trying to be rude here but OP if you think you are better with a regular shaft then go get one for your cue. I don't understand why you give a rat's ass what other people think of it. If it works for you good deal, no body has any say in it. The same goes for a zillion other threads here where people ask about what should they use ?? I mean seriously go ahead try as many as you can and whatever you feel right, take it. Done deal !!

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
Overpriced, overhyped, many are made of subpar maple slaminated together.

I also feel that most people who start down the LD road always end up believing that what they have isn't good enough and start blaming their equipment.

dld

I agree with everything you said, dld. I get customers coming to me almost every day wanting to buy LD shafts, and I tell them exactly what you said here. Then I take their order for whatever they want to waste their money on. :wink:

Roger

RunEm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will say that I play a lot better with a more stiff and firm hiting shaft that's why I'm looking into a OB classic cuz I'm told its very firm stiff hit but that being said ur the one who makes the balls I mean I've played with a 2X4 at my house my hole family was laughing and funny thing I was running 3 4 balls with it that shows u its not the stick! But there are lil things like the feel and hit of it that may be better for u!

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I've only been playing with LD shafts for 8 months after 45 years of house cues & regular maple 2 pc. cues.

I would compare them to cavity back irons in golf compared to the older blade irons.

It you hit either one 'sweet' then there is no difference. But if you hit a blade iron or a reg. shaft 'bad' you pay for it. But if you hit a cavity back iron or an LD shaft 'bad' you can pay less & might just get away with the 'bad' hit.

Does a good player or a pro need an LD or a cavity back iron? No.

Do they use them? Yes

Why? Hoping to get away with that one or two 'bad' hits.

Just my take.

Regards to All,

Last edited:

RunEm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've only been Playing with LD shafts for 8 months after 45 years of house cues & regular maple 2 pc. cues.

I would compare them to cavity back irons in golf compared to the older blade irons.

It you hit either one 'sweet' then ther is no difference. But if you hit a blade iron or a reg. shaft 'bad' you pa for it. But if you hit a cavity back iropn or an LD shaft 'bad' you can pay less & might just get away with the 'bad' hit.

Does a good player or a pro need an LD or a cavity back iron? No.

Do they use them? Yes

Why? Hopinh to get away with that one or two 'bad' hits.

Just my take.

Regards to All,

Ever use a OB classic? How's the hit?

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Ever use a OB classic? How's the hit?

Yeah, sorry. I was going to mention that.

I have been playing with the OB Classic & the McDermott i2 for the past 8 months. The OB Classic has a bit lighter front end & is a bit more squirt free. They both hit very firm, stiff, not whippy at all. I would say the i2 feels a bit more like a reg. shaft but I don't really know why because when playing with the OB Classic the only way I can notice it is when I notice the laminations.

I bought them both with the intention on keeping the one I liked the most & sell the other one. 8 months later I still have both because I can't decide.

The i2 is one piece maple with a carbon tube down the center. Maybe that is why it feels just a bit more like a regular shaft, being that it is basically one piece, except for the tube.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

RunEm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, sorry. I was going to mention that.

I have been playing with the OB Classic & the McDermott i2 for the past 8 months. The OB Classic has a bit lighter front end & is a bit more squirt free. They both hit very firm, stiff, not whippy at all. I would say the i2 feels a bit more like a reg. shaft but I don't really know why because when playing with the OB Classic the only way I can notice it is when I notice the laminations.

I bought them both with the intention on keeping the one I liked the most & sell the other one. 8 months later I still have both because I can't decide.

The i2 is one piece maple with a carbon tube down the center. Maybe that is why it feels just a bit more like a regular shaft, being that it is basically one piece, except for the tube.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Yea it does I'm gonna go ahead and order mine that's what I'm looking for nice firm stiff hit thanks!

ByronJr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lmao

LMAO I believe it.

HAH!

4onthebreak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What ever works for you. Go with it.

Based on my experience and what I've seen/tried there is a difference in pool equipment.

Maybe we should all be able to run racks on 10 foot tables with broomsticks. But we all know that isn't how it works.

I'm satisfied with my setup. I don't care if other scoff at it for any reason.

If you prefer for whatever reason to shoot with a "regular" shaft then have at it.