• Old is better

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • New is better

Votes: 43 76.8%

• Total voters

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which wrap looks better on the cue, original all black or new one?

1 for old
2 for new

Please try to ignore picture quality, the new pic was in better quality camera and cue was just cleaned.

Old

6_shz76asXSEnfxOFPM6Z1Yae7eVYGHhGomPwOGjgEkphzA2EjvscCjnsnWVd8jL7sFWmzn1fhgfibvGi8ZuKAnrAgM6wn0S5Xyz4JSbL4Fx4cYeEAfsWOIVmmxDzNd5ccajBcGMIm34VGhHimKdiR0so9KIxBZW31NQFfW_fOP9zbGZRz33DPzU8AcoNmZNbD0w6Pf3N4UIs02Z1MC5pAfHGKj9WYz-CyszIAF0S1dJQOlfv8RZDKc1pBNuafkIuzqGQEC1f6Bf69vPPCFyj6a4NP3DmVfSjJchjHVCoevpWJLUF7A_E9FW3JXTbn1aqlt6jvKv1pWSQmU6hxNJaDUiAaErypNACDRv5ibvkkSpWEg7jFKjvUD8HVszJgWQedDqQP8EKmQrEJtzr-76rph1pFbBUZDWXIam-7iF5EdgmgpmN2gOX6_en3v7Tc3_A7RaCQX4RdVnUaSKQIQTc3JoQnrgDhOSBNGRGZIUt9_5nGUWX9PUBSIfuDxecmHis2wEidMq48qmc4t64qT4qppUUGyqchtOgHOQoJvSHxzAUbzUQG3VHpnhrTBmJh2wRxskweMMKNDnUaYMThuc_zGD0rU28d9JO6vY7eN2OK7Bwx61-qCRV8_HGqG8BSozvJJo3l09LhFiPh8LTamLTXALnCGDKQDP=w338-h600-no

OR8ZItPaoTFdYaA9V_FOqNUmnSXQ0QWzva_pIW1YJAIQPevr75tn-QkFrMyIBMiUHAzWE4zTpq1LV3lNw47ITmLRw9UdTvssyc4wcCBipjhYYZ3kodHdL_6IjLcbJqkCc611Xmc6ashdTW6j2TpGHMe6oy8K_4a95dLR6B8ckz9_aGr-veOw0gjjV-uggC7Zgr2FyWUYIwtww6xeB65GeuGAyI5Gx16ds68EsWFaVlAvKhRlMZWWGcVec2fqBQrGopHKQsD_lkv_KwNknRQvQ_yGJ5exUZ6Fx8mr6cbnIMkE2kd0pc4D1OjOjlW1N8_oNlu3ykpNT2yb_FLzLRNk72SABHtRKo1eXjqPzKgQsA8EOPtOOAUdtw047nKc-3bleCBr7amGEjvSXPu1q5pzdmFYh5KV9GPxI9xXJBue51b2VfjDAVsh-GwK0lqeiNpFwCuzPBqxj25m7lf836fwhfHyVOphi_wxzltEUimnO3w9hCPfbKYrVifHksd5sq2QezdI_OKTMog6LtvlkBd9TiLyYf2PbPS8OyJ3Qzj7ipW6JUCPdU4HQLNRrOwwQ_3ZAgZb68Qy6nBXSYHsB6KNGfTnGXlHVa180AJ_RBj5QjApjvq9n3bxZx4z9HBq8hSARZBH5jrqVCSZN4uN4TlaAgYtIK3Wvkk-=w338-h600-no

New

sRDvQ-6ZczSb-WO28tekL80Y9dlEiXRMiVuKKazfSXlgifl1ZV0L0twjRPsZSkeULbYQSiHei7KJn49Eh_7Fb58U7-1Ip0uG7ucUVgPXsqENpdK_DlXB2IzUb3UdgG1j4XRl9ZJ6iVaWhvuz3Y1tIl14OADxRF5WkCrbjgYWWkRUDEjMBYnG-R_M1ZexUR3pkmqgW5mT03QXSBFgPm2zLFW83vCWnzTPr7S-U91ekhH-LnjIGLjUxQodb3BKBGbA1LZfQcHB8z2gpUiRjQQuBEkwRTyAepHCHstnmUlurCm90oAnkXkxEptERv8dLX-z7BiyGN2TzxW4u_fohRYhm980DfkzEA1jMhDViez_mmhCeV-i9jpwRpzgN2JqO24UrscgzHLuQ4jOwJmDxh3rEhu11AfZ1QdmO_1DrFg3bD_X2yrvTG-__R1ZiDJxOmU3uQIQS-ot83zMWpUU_ajwnQF25DdVPUI-VtuXxzK4MeV-7oUMVUpgBt5LNU-JXAvO5mUhYobqm5zfheEbGqSIFv1TBSKbRboHk6Ddsu1oxPssfubsG-wQKPNN0jxp6UUZh3tMCmQ_zhFiF6HA-9FlaREexuDTJprbE33dn1A=w548-h974-no

Added another copy of the pic if can't see second wrap

20180106_150810.jpg

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I prefer the speckled wrap...but that's just my visual taste...others may prefer the solid black for the same reason.

So, your cue...which pleases you the most?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer the speckled wrap...but that's just my visual taste...others may prefer the solid black for the same reason.

So, your cue...which pleases you the most?

Well since quite a few voted, this was a cue my son is using till we get his Lomax cracked buttcap fixed (no was not a defect, only in my son's temper) and he did not like the new wrap at all. He kept saying it looked really bad, did not match the cue, old one was better. I really liked it, a few others I showed it to liked it, but he kept saying that it was bad. The bet was that at least 75% of people would like the new wrap better.

I am actually enjoying that wrap so much that I am going to this as my main cue again once I get a new shaft made for it by the local cuemaker who's cue I am playing with now.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I picked the old one - but both are very nice. I will say that Dan Janes once told me that all black linen tends to show chalk and dirt more.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I voted "old" because it looks like a leather wrap and I do not like linen wraps.

If both wraps are indeed linen, then I think the new one is aesthetically better.

Maniac

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I voted "old" because it looks like a leather wrap and I do not like linen wraps.

If both wraps are indeed linen, then I think the new one is aesthetically better.

Maniac

They are both linen, the original was double pressed and very smooth, it felt to me like it was almost waxed when pressed.

I was going by how the wrap complemented the cue not so much as to the tactile differences. This is a shallow thread, go by looks only LOL

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I picked the old one - but both are very nice. I will say that Dan Janes once told me that all black linen tends to show chalk and dirt more.

I was also told that the black linen was more inconsistent and thinner so could have variances in the installation.

That is actually what happened to this wrap, there was some tape under it to even out the wrap and that tape moved, causing a bump. Of course this cue is from 2005 and it just happened maybe a year ago.

I did not have an issue with the dirt on it, but I am glad when I re-did it I picked the one I did.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Voting for the old black linen wrap is a bit higher than I thought it would be, I was thinking it would be at the high 80% for the new wrap. At the start it was 0-8 but now a lot closer at 9-32 (if you count my vote)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Voting for the old black linen wrap is a bit higher than I thought it would be, I was thinking it would be at the high 80% for the new wrap. At the start it was 0-8 but now a lot closer at 9-32 (if you count my vote)

I voted for the black wrap....your kid has taste....you don’t....:grin:
....the new wrap makes the cue look too busy.

regards
pt....design consultant to the stars

Jonbouy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

regards

Could I have the pleasure of PMing you with an off topic question?

daylate$short

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
+1 Speckled

regards

pt says busy, I say balanced. I love the speckled wrap!

To each, his own.

Charlie

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

regards

If the colors of the wrap were different it may detract a bit more than a solid wrap, but the spec colors match the wood very well, and the lighter color makes the wood pop out more even though the brighter wrap takes the focus away from the wood more as well.

Last night at a tournament one of the guys there was teasing my kid about it, he reads AZB and saw the thread.

I was considering selling the cue since I use a different one and have been playing pretty well with it, but with this new wrap it feels like a new cue to me so decided to keep it. I am getting a new shaft made for it by the guy that made my current cue, Joe Callaluca, will see how it works for me after that.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If the colors of the wrap were different it may detract a bit more than a solid wrap, but the spec colors match the wood very well, and the lighter color makes the wood pop out more even though the brighter wrap takes the focus away from the wood more as well.

Last night at a tournament one of the guys there was teasing my kid about it, he reads AZB and saw the thread.

I was considering selling the cue since I use a different one and have been playing pretty well with it, but with this new wrap it feels like a new cue to me so decided to keep it. I am getting a new shaft made for it by the guy that made my current cue, Joe Callaluca, will see how it works for me after that.

If it works well for you, that’s the bottom line.
My old Joss is too fancy for my liking....but the cue and the cue ball have formed a
mutual admiration society.....:lovies:

My favorite cues are high quality but low key...the closer you look, the more you see the beauty.
Too many cues look more like a hooker flaunting her wares.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
... the cue and the cue ball have formed a
mutual admiration society.....:lovies:

Fantastic imagery. I'll likely re-quote you on that ... of course I'll also just as likely screw it up as well.

Still - I agree - there are a lot of cues out there (including one of mine) that are just "too much". Simple is better so often because there can be a lot of beauty in a piece of wood that has been treated right. But then again - I tend to be very "old school" in so many things.