New Shaft recommendations

mrwinky

So some history on my game.

I started playing late 90's when I was teenager, played for about 10 years and was ranked A+ player. Got a family, quit playing for a few years. Took the game up again around 2010-2014 and then again left it. I've again picked up the game and playing like crap. I see the table in my head, but I'm missing easy shots, missing shape etc. I know I need to practice more, and its in my schedule. But I've also noticed something else. For the past couple of weeks of league and practice I've switched cue's to my buddy's Viking (base model he bought this year) and it feels good, or I should say the shaft/tip feel great. I'm back to feeling good at the table, and running a couple of racks here and there. So this got me thinking of a new Cue, but i'm wondering if a new shaft might just achieve the same goal.

My current cue is a Custom Greg Hearn 3 piece cue, its one of his original cues I believe and I love the cue, but I was never in love with the feel of the shafts (it has 2, I want to say 12 and 12.5mm tips on each) so instead of running out and buying a new cue, I'm thinking of replacing the shaft on it. Based on pictures it looks like a 3/8" 10 joint, so i should have some options out there. To be brutally honest my cue sat in the garage for a few years (alberta weather) so i wouldnt be surprised if the shafts are wrapped. I also never took to the feel of the how the shaft slide through my bridge hand, I always found it too thin and didnt like the smaller tip size. So I'm curious if someone might be able to recommend some shafts to look at, I'm not really sure if I should entertain LD shafts. There really isn't many places I can try shafts, so I'm looking at some reasonable options that wont break the bank.

Thanks in advance and let me know if have any questions

Cheers Winky

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
If you plan on leaving your cues in a cold place often, maybe consider carbon fiber shaft where the cold won't affect performance and/or straightness. There are so many out there now, you can get one in any range of mm size from 11.75 up to 12.9mm

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like a shaft that will make a swooshing noise when I twirl my cue like an airplane propeller between shots. I prefer traditional maple so the sound of it cutting the air at high speed is more audible. I've mastered the spinning twirl toss and catch in our high ceiling pool room, but you want to stay clear of tables and chairs when executing this move. A 10mm Elkmaster tip helps me get the maximum english I need on every shot. I'm currently working on a new move with my cue, I call "Walking the dog."

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.... I'm currently working on a new move with my cue, I call "Walking the dog."

Tommy Smothers will be suing you for gimmick infringement. :thumbup:

Tom-Smothers-With-Yo-Yo-from-Amanda-Edwards-Getty-Images.jpg

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So some history on my game.

I started playing late 90's when I was teenager, played for about 10 years and was ranked A+ player. Got a family, quit playing for a few years. Took the game up again around 2010-2014 and then again left it. I've again picked up the game and playing like crap. I see the table in my head, but I'm missing easy shots, missing shape etc. I know I need to practice more, and its in my schedule. But I've also noticed something else. For the past couple of weeks of league and practice I've switched cue's to my buddy's Viking (base model he bought this year) and it feels good, or I should say the shaft/tip feel great. I'm back to feeling good at the table, and running a couple of racks here and there. So this got me thinking of a new Cue, but i'm wondering if a new shaft might just achieve the same goal.

My current cue is a Custom Greg Hearn 3 piece cue, its one of his original cues I believe and I love the cue, but I was never in love with the feel of the shafts (it has 2, I want to say 12 and 12.5mm tips on each) so instead of running out and buying a new cue, I'm thinking of replacing the shaft on it. Based on pictures it looks like a 3/8" 10 joint, so i should have some options out there. To be brutally honest my cue sat in the garage for a few years (alberta weather) so i wouldnt be surprised if the shafts are wrapped. I also never took to the feel of the how the shaft slide through my bridge hand, I always found it too thin and didnt like the smaller tip size. So I'm curious if someone might be able to recommend some shafts to look at, I'm not really sure if I should entertain LD shafts. There really isn't many places I can try shafts, so I'm looking at some reasonable options that wont break the bank.

Thanks in advance and let me know if have any questions

Cheers Winky

Best question is how much are you looking to spend?

Carbon fiber shafts are mostly in the $500 range.

You can get some LD shafts in the 200-300 range, and depending on other makers, shafts can range from 150-600.

You said you liked your buddies Viking, why not start there?
https://www.vikingcue.com/performance-shafts/

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schmelke, and get the whole cue. Full splice sneaky with upgrade select shaft. Maybe $200 at most.
(and it should twirl pretty good too)