Help with opinions on cue? Inlays or Overlays/Decals?

I would like some opinions on if the cue in the pictures has inlays or overlays/decals?

Is it not easy to tell by looking at pictures?

Please give me your honest opinions about the cue.

I think the cue was probably made in the Philippines, and most cues made in the Philippines are made with real inlays.

So I am just curious about what you all think of the cue in the pictures (inlays used, or overlays/decals used in it)?

Thanks.

Attachments

• $_12 (1).JPG
    $_12 (1).JPG
    21 KB · Views: 1,430
  • $_12 (2).JPG
    $_12 (2).JPG
    22 KB · Views: 1,360
  • $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,372

rtbbf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
decal

Hard to tell by pic....nice looking...playing it wouldn't matter, resale hmmmm that is a different game

Actually, I think that it would matter playing wise, because I always thought of decal/overlay cues as being very poor players. I can't think of 1 pool cue maker out there that makes really decent hitting cues (that are made with overlays in them). Players, and Fury are decent I guess. Maybe Mcdermott lucky brand too, but they are all kind of below average to me. Any decal/overlay cues that are up there with like a Joss (for example) in playability hit wise? I do not think so.

Hard to tell by pic....nice looking...playing it wouldn't matter, resale hmmmm that is a different game

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I am not sure of your point...

Impossible to tell using these pictures, and almost impossible to tell even if the cue was in your hands (unless it was a terrible job doing the decals)

Put the cue in a lathe and take off the finish, and you can tell immediately.

Related story, a customer brought a cue in to a HOF cuemaker and wanted it refinished. Cue was put on a lathe and the finish was being removed, the inlays went with it. The cuemaker had to call the customer back, and show them what happened.

The point is decals (if done well) can fool a cuemaker too.

G.Ouellet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like decals to my untrained eye but I am not an expert by any means, wait for other answers.

Okay, I understand. Thanks for your reply. So it would be very hard to know for sure even with the cue in your hands. Some of the lower inlays in the cue kind of look like decals to me, but I do not know. They really are sharp looking decals though, if they are decals.

I am not sure of your point...

Impossible to tell using these pictures, and almost impossible to tell even if the cue was in your hands (unless it was a terrible job doing the decals)

Put the cue in a lathe and take off the finish, and you can tell immediately.

Related story, a customer brought a cue in to a HOF cuemaker and wanted it refinished. Cue was put on a lathe and the finish was being removed, the inlays went with it. The cuemaker had to call the customer back, and show them what happened.

The point is decals (if done well) can fool a cuemaker too.

Last edited:

G.Ouellet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well when you look at the outlay of the details, they just seem to ''pop''. Inlays usually have that sunken in look to them, even if they are completely flush.

To my eyes it just looks like something on top of wood, so yeah decals.

You make a good point. Thanks.

Well when you look at the outlay of the details, they just seem to ''pop''. Inlays usually have that sunken in look to them, even if they are completely flush.

To my eyes it just looks like something on top of wood, so yeah decals.

G.Ouellet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you look closely at my avatar you can notice the same thing. My cheap dufferin cue has decals on the butt.

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First

Why don't you tell everyone who made the cue, and someone would then be able to have an educated guess.

I have no idea who made it, but I am assuming that a cue maker from the Philippines made it. It just looks like a Philippine made cue to me, but I really do not know (just a guess).

Why don't you tell everyone who made the cue, and someone would then be able to have an educated guess.

Yeah, I see what you are saying. The overlays look to pop out, and do not really look like inlays in the dufferin on your avatar. I think they look a little better on the cue in the pictures though, but they do kind of look like they stick out a little.

If you look closely at my avatar you can notice the same thing. My cheap dufferin cue has decals on the butt.

TazBilliards

Registered
Decals or Inlays

If a cue maker used the exact same wood and process, the cue would hit the same if decals or inlays. Inlays do not make a cue hit any better than another cue. It is the quality of wood, process building, joint material, tip. Inlays to make a cue very pretty and can raise the price because of time and beauty but will not make it hit any better than a cue made of the exact same materials.

MSchaffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a cue maker used the exact same wood and process, the cue would hit the same if decals or inlays. Inlays do not make a cue hit any better than another cue. It is the quality of wood, process building, joint material, tip. Inlays to make a cue very pretty and can raise the price because of time and beauty but will not make it hit any better than a cue made of the exact same materials.

Out of curiosity, why would you answer a post made by a banned member 4 1/2 years ago?