Looking for a shaftmaster

jrackman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
looking to buy a shaftmaster lathe. I also have a few cues to trade....let me know whats out there.

JTs cuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't waist your money.

Why would you waist your money on a shaft master. If you lit your money on fire you would get more enjoyment then a shaft master can give you.

I wish I had a nickel for every time this has been said on AZ but here goes,
For just a little more money you can get a top quality lathe from the king of cue lathes
Chris Hightower. Awesome lathes and you will not find a better person then Chris.
He is great to deal with and will always be there to support you after the sale. He stands behind his products. Ask anyone here that's owns one of Chris's lathe if they like it or not, You will not hear one bad thing about Chris and his lathes.

blackwidows

BLACKWIDOWS
Silver Member
Why would you waist your money on a shaft master. If you lit your money on fire you would get more enjoyment then a shaft master can give you.

I wish I had a nickel for every time this has been said on AZ but here goes,
For just a little more money you can get a top quality lathe from the king of cue lathes
Chris Hightower. Awesome lathes and you will not find a better person then Chris.
He is great to deal with and will always be there to support you after the sale. He stands behind his products. Ask anyone here that's owns one of Chris's lathe if they like it or not, You will not hear one bad thing about Chris and his lathes.

I agree with this gentleman. But, if you want one there is one on ebay for $799

HallieQ2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
junk

Shaftmaster lathes are pure junk I bought one many years ago to get started out it did more harm then good the first night the light blew up and got glass in my hand and trying to face something is a totaly diffrint story I would not buy one just my 2 cents.:mad::mad:

DoubleDCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaft Master

I have had the pleasure to work on both a porper and hightower designed (as he really designed it, and many have since built them) cue lathes. They work.
I can not imagine doing "shaft tapering" as advertised in the ebay ad on that unit.
Save yourself some trouble, money and get a repair lathe. if you want out in a few months you'll not lose a lot of money. They retain their value. You can build a reputation of good cue repair on a good piece of equipment. In my observation of the design for $834.00, the Shaftmaster is just as the name implies.

Last edited:

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
" the Shaftmaster is just as the name implies."

Now that was a great double-entendre for so early in the morning!
I have not used this machine, so I have no input on it, but I have used the "Cowboy" lathe and it is to be avoided as well.
:thumbup:
Gary

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
Contact Todd Schultz at Mid America lathes, forum member name is tsp&b. He can hook you up with an entry level lathe for doing tips and repairs for probably less than what a Shaftmaster cost.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contact Todd Schultz at Mid America lathes, forum member name is tsp&b. He can hook you up with an entry level lathe for doing tips and repairs for probably less than what a Shaftmaster cost.

+1 - a bit over Half what the "sh1tmaster" costs as I recall.

Dale(take that 2Ds)

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Another vote for todd. I bought one of his basic lathes a couple of years ago, the one with the 4 ft bed. It was at least a couple hundred less than the shaftwaster and very upgradable. I've added some tools and accessories, bigger motor, big bore headstock, it's an outstanding piece of equipment to have and you won't find an easier guy to work with than todd. You'll be much happier with the midamericacue lathe, and besides that, in my opinion the shaftwaster guy is kind of a tool

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen the shaft master being demoed, the guy doing the demo was very skilled at using it. Is it for Neil average, definately not.
But if you are a dab hand at manual wood thread cutting and have that sort of skill set, you can make one work.
But they are not as good as Cue repair lathe from any of the ones that sell such machines.
The saying, "it is the Indian and not the arrow" is an Urban legend
Neil

jwe711

The Great Cue Masters...!
Silver Member
My vote goes to Hightower...he's got the best service and out there...

And, he sells a lot of other things that you're going to need...

Todd is really good too...!!!

jrackman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately I'm on SSD and can no longer afford atop of the line lathe, not to mention I can't move a bigger lathe on anymore. I've had Chris's deluxe, Porper model b, and a Porper mini over the years but sold them due to divorce and moving etc. I just need something for cleaning and tip work for myself and a few friends. No more repair work for me. Thanks

Last edited: