Balance point on old Meucci's and older cues?

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm experimenting with weights on my Rick Howard, I've been in a slump lately.
I remember the old Meucci Original played damn sporty with that whippy shaft, and they seemed to be more rear balanced. (17) maybe
I had K. Josey turm mine shafts down to 12.75
Shafts are 12.75 with 1 ivory@ 3.6 - 1 micarta@3.4

What were the balance point on the old Meucci's and what would be recommened for my Howard.
Thanks guys

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember the old Meucci Original played damn sporty with that whippy shaft, and they seemed to be more rear balanced. (17) maybe

What were the balance point on the old Meucci's and what would be recommened for my Howard.
Thanks guys
Only you know what you like. Every Meucci i've ever hit was rear balanced. Bob has always thought that a cue performs better this way. I tend to like neutral-to-forward balanced cues myself.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meucci cues added weight with rear weigh bolts so any Meucci that did not have a stainless steel or German nickel silver joint got very noticeably, progressively more rear balanced as the actual weight of the cue increased from 19 to 20 to 21 ounces. The Oldie series cues that had the German nickel silver joints were usually less rear weighted due to the heavier joint material ( steel vs. implex). Older Meuccci cue weight bolts were very difficult to remove , even cue makers sometimes could not remove them, or the butt cap broke off in parts from the attempt to remove the rear weight.

One way to help without actually REMOVING the rear balance weight - and this may help you, but it will increase the total weight of the cue by about an ounce- is to do the REVERSE and change out a sleeved plastic joint on a Meucci to a sleeved steel joint- I think they play better that way- like the Meucci 95-17 and 95-19 OLDIE models. Also, as another alternative: If you want to keep the TOTAL weight of the cue approximately the same as you have it now- do this: Remove the rear weight bolt and change out a plastic based joint sleeve to a steel joint sleeve - you still get wood to wood contact at the joint beneath the joint sleeve and the cue will play MUCH better for you!

Last edited:

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why don't you buy an older used Meucci rather than make irreparable changes to the Howard? Older Meucci can be bought very reasonably.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meucci cues added weight with rear weigh bolts so any Meucci that did not have a stainless steel or German nickel silver joint got very noticeably, progressively more rear balanced as the actual weight of the cue increased from 19 to 20 to 21 ounces. The Oldie series cues that had the German nickel silver joints were usually less rear weighted due to the heavier joint material ( steel vs. implex). Older Meuccci cue weight bolts were very difficult to remove , even cue makers sometimes could not remove them, or the butt cap broke off in parts from the attempt to remove the rear weight.

One way to help without actually REMOVING the rear balance weight - and this may help you, but it will increase the total weight of the cue by about an ounce- is to do the REVERSE and change out a sleeved plastic joint on a Meucci to a sleeved steel joint- I think they play better that way- like the Meucci 95-17 and 95-19 OLDIE models. Also, as another alternative: If you want to keep the TOTAL weight of the cue approximately the same as you have it now- do this: Remove the rear weight bolt and change out a plastic based joint sleeve to a steel joint sleeve - you still get wood to wood contact at the joint beneath the joint sleeve and the cue will play MUCH better for you!
My Howard is Ivory joint so not a chance of changing that. It's all probably in my imagination anyway, the 3 weights I'm comparing are .2, .8, and 1.3 oz. The cue weighs exactly 19oz with the .2oz bolt and 18.75 balance point.
I'm just gonna leave it at that and play the hell out of it. I believe I'm just overthinking this anyway.
I have a couple other cues so at my age not buying or selling anymore.
Thanks guys!

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
I have owned many Meucci's. My all-time favorite is the 2nd one I bought.

19.9 oz.
Balance point is 17 5/8 from the floor, including bumper.
Standard 58".

I have many 58" cues but this one feels longer in my hands.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks guys

There is no "standard" balance point on a Meucci Original.

It varies according to the weight bolt and the shaft weight.

Most of this matter is legend and myth.

Whippy? Yup. They were, in general. But that had little or nothing to do with their balance point.

Lastly. "rear balanced" itself is a myth. I have numerous fat butt 22 and 23 ounce antique cues, and every one of them is some degree of forward balanced.