Question (Help!)
Old
  (#1)
powerlineman80
AzB Silver Member
powerlineman80 has a reputation beyond reputepowerlineman80 has a reputation beyond reputepowerlineman80 has a reputation beyond reputepowerlineman80 has a reputation beyond reputepowerlineman80 has a reputation beyond reputepowerlineman80 has a reputation beyond reputepowerlineman80 has a reputation beyond reputepowerlineman80 has a reputation beyond reputepowerlineman80 has a reputation beyond reputepowerlineman80 has a reputation beyond reputepowerlineman80 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500
  Send a message via Yahoo to powerlineman80  
Question (Help!) - 05-30-2020, 03:02 PM

This may sound stupid but I have a question me and my brother ran into shooting straight pool the other night and we gave up after 30 minutes of searching and just started back up.

Here was the scenario:

I was shooting into a 4 ball combo with the 4 on the end and what I called into the corner to be safe. I mis-hit the shot and the 4 never moved, but the cue did hit the first ball in line with the combo and the cue did hit a rail afterwards.

Was that a foul or legit shot? Neither one of us was fussing over it as we have never really run into that before where we called a ball that was not hit but a legal hit (we think) came from the miss as like I said the cue did hit a ball and a rail.

Should that have been a foul or was it legal?

Old
  (#2)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-30-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlineman80 View Post
This may sound stupid but I have a question me and my brother ran into shooting straight pool the other night and we gave up after 30 minutes of searching and just started back up.

Here was the scenario:

I was shooting into a 4 ball combo with the 4 on the end and what I called into the corner to be safe. I mis-hit the shot and the 4 never moved, but the cue did hit the first ball in line with the combo and the cue did hit a rail afterwards.

Was that a foul or legit shot? Neither one of us was fussing over it as we have never really run into that before where we called a ball that was not hit but a legal hit (we think) came from the miss as like I said the cue did hit a ball and a rail.

Should that have been a foul or was it legal?
You are not required to move the ball you called, and you did not commit any foul.

It turns out that the official rules for 14.1 have an error in that "wrong ball first" fouls are included in the list of possible fouls. Since you are never required to hit a particular ball first "wrong ball first" never applies to 14.1. (A separate rule governs foul play behind the line with ball in hand.)

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#3)
powerlineman80
AzB Silver Member
powerlineman80 has a reputation beyond reputepowerlineman80 has a reputation beyond reputepowerlineman80 has a reputation beyond reputepowerlineman80 has a reputation beyond reputepowerlineman80 has a reputation beyond reputepowerlineman80 has a reputation beyond reputepowerlineman80 has a reputation beyond reputepowerlineman80 has a reputation beyond reputepowerlineman80 has a reputation beyond reputepowerlineman80 has a reputation beyond reputepowerlineman80 has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Yahoo to powerlineman80  
05-30-2020, 09:14 PM

Thanks! We thought that it was still a legal shot but we were scratching our heads on whether it was truly legal or not according to the rules. We couldn’t find it so it confused us even more. Thanks again!

Foul?
Old
  (#4)
DynoDan
AzB Silver Member
DynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond repute

Foul? - 05-31-2020, 03:33 PM

This issue got me thinking about another ‘foul’ question: When you shoot a called ball straight into the pocket, but so softly it hangs on the lip, that is obviously a foul (no rail contacted). BUT, if shot too hard, and it bounces directly back from the GC plastic pocket liner onto the table (technically, still no ‘rail’ contacted), I assume THAT would be a legal shot? Don’t recall if the rules are that specific.

Old
  (#5)
fiftyyardline
AzB Silver Member

fiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond repute

05-31-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDan View Post
This issue got me thinking about another ‘foul’ question: When you shoot a called ball straight into the pocket, but so softly it hangs on the lip, that is obviously a foul (no rail contacted). BUT, if shot too hard, and it bounces directly back from the GC plastic pocket liner onto the table (technically, still no ‘rail’ contacted), I assume THAT would be a legal shot? Don’t recall if the rules are that specific.
If it hit any part of the pocket - that counts the same as contacting a rail - so legal hit.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: