Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page Flat Angle Shot On The 1B - How Do You Play It?
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
BC21
Poolology
BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-16-2018, 09:54 PM

Here's how I hit it ....https://youtu.be/MUHghrKkVDo

POOLOLOGY
Brian Crist

Old
  (#17)
BilliardsAbout
Billiards.About.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

05-17-2018, 05:16 AM

Respectfully, you struck a lovely draw shot but your margin of error for distance was fractional. Cutting across the line of the 2-ball that close to the 2-ball . . .

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool

Old
  (#18)
bbb
AzB Gold Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-17-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
nice shooting brian

Old
  (#19)
BC21
Poolology
BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

05-17-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilliardsAbout View Post
Respectfully, you struck a lovely draw shot but your margin of error for distance was fractional. Cutting across the line of the 2-ball that close to the 2-ball . . .
Yes, I made sure to go a little farther after that first shot.
As you know, some shots require cutting across the line. Watch any pro match and you'll see it very often. Strict adherence to position guidelines is not reality. I could shoot this 100 times, and I'm sure sometimes I'd glance off that 2 every now and then, sometimes I'd be straight in on the 2, other times I'd have a thinner or thicker angle than I want, and other times I'd hit it absolutely perfect. But of all the options, this works best for me.

I think many players are misled into believing that shape must be perfect, that pros are always perfectly in line and therefore we should be also if we expect to be a good player. But that's not the reality of playing pool, not even for the greatest players. Sure, sometimes we must get perfect position, but that doesn't mean we will, whether you play like Jason Shaw or not. Probably 99% of the time, playing 9 or 10 ball, all you really need is a shot angle that leads to the next shot, focusing on the process from one shot to the next, gaining position in a general area, not overthinking or overtrying to get perfect position. Thinking this way, and incorporating the basics of position play when possible, leads to solid play in my opinion, and you'll find yourself getting near perfect quite often without really trying.

POOLOLOGY
Brian Crist

Last edited by BC21; 05-17-2018 at 07:50 PM.

Old
  (#20)
BilliardsAbout
Billiards.About.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2018, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Yes, I made sure to go a little farther after that first shot.
As you know, some shots require cutting across the line. Watch any pro match and you'll see it very often. Strict adherence to position guidelines is not reality. I could shoot this 100 times, and I'm sure sometimes I'd glance off that 2 every now and then, sometimes I'd be straight in on the 2, other times I'd have a thinner or thicker angle than I want, and other times I'd hit it absolutely perfect. But of all the options, this works best for me.

I think many players are misled into believing that shape must be perfect, that pros are always perfectly in line and therefore we should be also if we expect to be a good player. But that's not the reality of playing pool, not even for the greatest players. Sure, sometimes we must get perfect position, but that doesn't mean we will, whether you play like Jason Shaw or not. Probably 99% of the time, playing 9 or 10 ball, all you really need is a shot angle that leads to the next shot, focusing on the process from one shot to the next, gaining position in a general area, not overthinking or overtrying to get perfect position. Thinking this way, and incorporating the basics of position play when possible, leads to solid play in my opinion, and you'll find yourself getting near perfect quite often without really trying.
Yes, I can see it in a pro match. From an education standpoint, 90% of league players cut the line constantly to their detriment.

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool

Old
  (#21)
BC21
Poolology

05-18-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilliardsAbout View Post
Yes, I can see it in a pro match. From an education standpoint, 90% of league players cut the line constantly to their detriment.
That sounds about right. Instead of making it an exception (something that must be done every now and then in order to get the correct angle on the next ball), they shoot most shots with complete disregard, or ignorance, of the shot line and coming into the widest area for position.

That's where an instructor can help. The info is easily found in many books, but a live demonstration of the process is always more enlightening.

POOLOLOGY
Brian Crist

Last edited by BC21; 05-18-2018 at 01:53 PM.

Old
  (#22)
sparkle84
AzB Silver Member
sparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
I like the idea of playing the 2 uptable, but I'd try an approach with more MOE: a stun-rollthrough hit to come softly off the end rail at about the middle diamond.

pj
chgo
You know, that was actually my 1st thought. The only thing worrisome was landing with an angle where either the 4 or 5 would be a bit of an obstacle. Straight in would be best but anything else could present problems.
Actually, this is one of those scenarios where there's a number of ways you could go but whichever you choose it's going to have to be executed fairly well or you're liable to be in a bit of bother.

Old
  (#23)
BC21
Poolology

Yesterday, 11:29 AM

I used masking tape to show possible position zones for a good shot on the 2 that'll lead to the 3.

Playing the cb to land behind the 2 for a shot up table or in the side would be very iffy, considering you must stop the cb in one of a few small areas as shown (anywhere on the tape would not be good). The 2-rail shape for a corner shot takes the cb toward the 5 ball, but could work if hit just right. The draw shot brings the cb into the largest position available to get a good shot on the 2. If you glance off the 2, the 2 rolls closer toward the corner pocket and the cb comes off the rail leaving a shot.

There are potential pitfalls with each shot here, so you'd have to decide for yourself which shot you can pull off most consistently. The most important thing, if you elect to go for it, is to pocket the 1 and not hook yourself on the 2.

POOLOLOGY
Brian Crist

Last edited by BC21; Yesterday at 05:53 PM.

Thanks Brian
Old
  (#24)
croscoe
Looking to Improve
croscoe has a reputation beyond reputecroscoe has a reputation beyond reputecroscoe has a reputation beyond reputecroscoe has a reputation beyond reputecroscoe has a reputation beyond reputecroscoe has a reputation beyond reputecroscoe has a reputation beyond reputecroscoe has a reputation beyond reputecroscoe has a reputation beyond reputecroscoe has a reputation beyond reputecroscoe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Brian - Yesterday, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Great job Brian. Some talk about how it should be or could be done. And even take time to judge your results.
You taking the time to video / show is appreciated.

Old
  (#25)
BC21
Poolology

Yesterday, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croscoe View Post
Great job Brian. Some talk about how it should be or could be done. And even take time to judge your results.
You taking the time to video / show is appreciated.
Thanks.....

POOLOLOGY
Brian Crist

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: