My first good Screwing

lenoxmjs

Brazilian Rosewood Fan
Silver Member
Ebay. First let me say that I have had about 30 perfect transactions but today I recieved my first good screwing.

All of you fellow Az'ers be on the look out for any item's or cues offered by M. Wold from Chino Valley, AZ know as askforbes on Ebay. Let me start by saying that I bid on a really nice Ebony Skip Weston described as new.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7234826198&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I purchased the cue on Apr 12th and paid immediately. The next day I recieve an e-mail stating that the seller had me pay the wrong e-mail address and would like me to pay his bussiness e-mail address.

I explained that I would be happy to do so once Paypal put the money back in my account. 10 or so days pass with him e-mailing asking for payment stating that paypal has removed the money from his account and I should pay him. I call paypal to learn that the money hasn't been refunded to me because there isn't any money to take out of his account.

Now it's May 3rd I'm out my 970.00 and still no cue so I file for merchandise not recieved complaint with Paypal. They advise me that the seller has 10 days to respond.

May 5th seller sends me an E-mail saying that he is overniting the cue and he is sorry...provides a tracking number that doesn't work. I e-mail him back and get no response.

Today the cue appears out of the blue. Totally not as described. Heavily played. I don't even believe the shafts are original. The Ferruls don't match up with the shafts. Finish is crazed and lifting on shaft collers. There is a white stain on the wrap. Definately not the new skip that I bought and Paid for. Wonder if that lifetime warrentee ( since I'm the first owner ...note sarcasm) that the seller promised from skip will cover this.

I don't know if any of you know Skip personally or not but he should also look into this guy because he is claiming he knows him and has been designing and buying all of these cues from him. Including the one I now have.

Claim for a refund of my money is still pending with Paypal but now I do have the cue so I don't know what they will decide. Will keep you all posted on the outcome. Thanks for letting me vent.

1pRoscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone posted this stuff about the cue a month ago, wished you would've seen it prior to winning.

I remember reading the thread while that same auction was still active, but you cannot warn the bidders on a private auction....

Sorry, dude..... that sucks.

lenoxmjs

Brazilian Rosewood Fan
Silver Member
1pRoscoe said:
Someone posted this stuff about the cue a month ago, wished you would've seen it prior to winning.

I remember reading the thread while that same auction was still active, but you cannot warn the bidders on a private auction....

Sorry, dude..... that sucks.

I saw that thread about a day after I had paid.:(

Purdman

Banned
BASTARDS, one day it will kick em in the ass big time!!!! Don't lose your faith in mankind because of one A-HOLE. Sorry for your loss.
Purdman

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for your problem. I've had a couple of bad experiances through ebay. It's real hard to determine a good seller from a bad seller. Based on this guys feedback, I would have thought that you were pretty safe. At least you received something, which is better than nothing at all?? In regards to the condition of the cue, I had Skip make me two shafts for my Southwest about a year ago. The shafts turned out to be crap. The wood shrank, the ferrules cracked, tips came off, and the ringwork lifted. I have heard how terrific Skips cues are, but in this case I paid him over 300 for total junk. Despite my emails voicing disatisfaction, I never got a response back....

At any rate, I guess my point is that there is a chance that the change in climate might have caused the shafts and finish to worsen when this guy sent the cue to you? I've heard other stories about Skip's work and how the finish has lifted on his cues. I know there are a ton of Skip followers out there, but in my case, his workmanship and product was junk.

Pehaps you might have better luck getting Skip to help make it right. Otherwise, I'd send the cue and shafts to Proficient billiards and have Scott refinish it.

Best of luck,

Doug

8-ball Rat

I'll eat you alive.....
Silver Member
Hmmm...

...so, can you go the "item GROSSLY misrepresented" route through E-bay or Paypal? There's protections in place for that kind of thing, right?

Either way, that sucks! Sorry to hear about your nightmare. I remember the thread about that cue when it was first listed on E-bay.....and it's a shame that ANYONE got scammed...but it's even worse when it's somebody that floats around the forums that you see day to day. Makes it more "personal," I guess.

Hope all works out for ya, man.

Take care,

Rat

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
I'm glad for you that you at least got your cue. If it were me, I'd probably keep the cue and have it refinished.

pete-biker

Heavy user
Silver Member
Another saying; there is always people to go into train and after that there is alwyas some persons to stay on the platform.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
patience is a virtue

lenoxmjs said:
Ebay. First let me say that I have had about 30 perfect transactions but today I recieved my first good screwing.

. Definately not the new skip that I bought and Paid for. Wonder if that lifetime warrentee ( since I'm the first owner ...note sarcasm) that the seller promised from skip will cover this.

Claim for a refund of my money is still pending with Paypal but now I do have the cue so I don't know what they will decide. Will keep you all posted on the outcome. Thanks for letting me vent.

Read the buyer protection policy. Then if you want to pursue getting a full refund read it again.
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/policy_pbp-outside
If you have opened the dispute because the cue is 'significantly not as described' you will need to get a third party, preferably a cuemaker, write-up an evaluation of the cue, emphasizing anything different to the ebay description. PayPal will ask you to return the cue. It will then take 30 days to get a full refund. Good luck

Last edited:

Room101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Charlie Edwards said:
A very sad story. I've never had any problems with eBay, but I will never again bid on a pool cue. They're has been just too many horror stories lately. Good luck.

You don't have to go that far: take a look at the thread I just posted in the Wanted/ For Sale forum about Escrow. lenox, you should see that thread too; it won't help you this time, but now that you have learned your lesson, the info I posted there will help you avoid this problem in the future.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
lenox,

Very sorry to hear about your misfortune. Had a nice screwing myself recently on ebay, so I feel your pain, brother. :(

Don't let this one incident discourage you, there are honest sellers out there. There just seem to be fewer and fewer of them seem to be on ebay, and ebay does nothing to truly protect the buyer. There's a moral to the story, though.....sometimes that 'good' deal on ebay might not be so good after all.

Sean

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lenoxmjs said:

All of you fellow Az'ers be on the look out for any item's or cues offered by M. Wold from Chino Valley, AZ know as askforbes on Ebay. Let me start by saying that I bid on a really nice Ebony Skip Weston described as new.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7234826198&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I purchased the cue on Apr 12th and paid immediately. The next day I recieve an e-mail stating that the seller had me pay the wrong e-mail address and would like me to pay his bussiness e-mail address.

I explained that I would be happy to do so once Paypal put the money back in my account. 10 or so days pass with him e-mailing asking for payment stating that paypal has removed the money from his account and I should pay him. I call paypal to learn that the money hasn't been refunded to me because there isn't any money to take out of his account.

Now it's May 3rd I'm out my 970.00 and still no cue so I file for merchandise not recieved complaint with Paypal. They advise me that the seller has 10 days to respond.

May 5th seller sends me an E-mail saying that he is overniting the cue and he is sorry...provides a tracking number that doesn't work. I e-mail him back and get no response.

Today the cue appears out of the blue. Totally not as described. Heavily played. I don't even believe the shafts are original. The Ferruls don't match up with the shafts. Finish is crazed and lifting on shaft collers. There is a white stain on the wrap. Definately not the new skip that I bought and Paid for. Wonder if that lifetime warrentee ( since I'm the first owner ...note sarcasm) that the seller promised from skip will cover this.

I don't know if any of you know Skip personally or not but he should also look into this guy because he is claiming he knows him and has been designing and buying all of these cues from him. Including the one I now have.

I think the best case scenario is that you get a total refund. Is it possible to do that or is this guy going to get away with such BS??

About a year ago I had a problem on ebay. I bought a cue from the phillipines on ebay, it cost me $220 USD, it was an extremely nice cue and the brand was recommended by someone else I know. In the picture, it showed the cue lying next to a hard case, so I figured he would ship me the cue in the case, or at least some type of protection. Well the cheap bastard decides to wrap the cue up in newspaper and ship it to me, and he didn't even bother to put a 'fragile' sticker on it. When I got the cue, it certainly was a quality cue, but in the shipping process it got extremely dinged up, the pin was bent, and the shaft was cracked. I asked him why he didn't send it in a case, and he said that wasn't part of the offer. LOL he had me fooled.

lenoxmjs

Brazilian Rosewood Fan
Silver Member
updated letter

Confronted seller on his lies. The summry of his reply was maybe the cue had played a few racks and if I have any problems with the Quality of the cue I should take it up directly with Skip...Funny didn't he say it was brand new and he had just recieved it. For just having recieved the cue from Skip it seems to be a date of 05 on the forearm. Mail must be really slow from NJ to AZ.

Last edited:

It's George Old Owner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lenoxmjs said:
Confronted seller on his lies. The summry of his reply was maybe the cue had played a few racks and if I have any problems with the Quality of the cue I should take it up directly with Skip...Funny didn't he say it was brand new and he had just recieved it. For just having recieved the cue from Skip it seems to be a date of 05 on the forearm. Mail must be really slow from NJ to AZ.
kick his ass n ask for a refund minus shipping..he should've stated refund policies if i'm not wrong..we'll back u up!

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
I don't know if it's something on my end but it's says session has expired...and I'm logged into Yahoo
________

Last edited:

5ballcharlie

GHOSTBUSTER
Silver Member
lenoxmjs said:

If it makes you feel any better. I sent him a really nasty message and told him he was a dick smoke and that alot of people were on to him...

askforbes

Registered
About Skip Weston cue...

First of all, to all you vultures that do not know all the facts, shut up. You have no grounds to attack me. All you have is the alledged injured party's feelings and observations. You hardly know the details to form such horrendous personal harrassment, nor are you getting an objective view of this case. There are always two sides to a story. Besides, there is always communication between the parties that is omitted by the grieved person in order to strengthen his case and build sympathy around his person to make him feel better. Fine, but you have no grounds to go on an all-out attack using foul language and sending emails like this one that I received this evening:

Sent from Ebay ID rthart101084
"you dick smoke... I know your a scam artist because you ripped alot of people of in the pool community and now were on to you.. I hope you go to hell..."

Some of your replies to this thread are way out of line, and serious enough to potentially be considered part of a harrassment/personal injury suit. I sure hope the posts to this thread are not representative for the subscribers of this forum. Highly unprofessional. And such babies to be sure, some of you. Unbelievable.

PURDMAN...your must come from an area where the genepool is very limited.

8-BALL RAT - Read on, pal. The cue was NOT grossly misrepresented. Not at all. The issues that buyer raises concern with, are parts of the cue that Skip would have fine-combed before releasing.

IT'S GEORGE...You don't know enough to pass judgment like you do.

CUEADDICT ...You again, Sean. Didn't you learn your lesson the first time? For you others, read the reply posting immediately after I am done with the Weston cue issues. It will shed light on Sean's previous confrontation.

TO ALL YOU OTHER BRETHEREN....It is admirable that you watch out for eachother. I am not saying this to be sarcastic. A forum like this really is a good thing, helping police a marketplace where high-priced products sadly also will introduce the prescence of businesses and people with less than honorable intent.

However, I don't give a rat's ass about some juvenile behaviour from a few of you. I do however want to defend myself and the situation with Matthew's, Mr. Sutton's, cue.

Matthew, I am surely disappointed in your inability to take a straight-up approach to ensuring that your purchase is all that you want it to be.

Your quote: " I confronted seller with his lies...". What on earth, Matthew, there were no lies. You came to me about specific issues; the ferrules, the wrap and the claim to cue being used." Now, you might get a lot of sympathy so you feel better about yourself when you spread untruths like that statement above, but you are now the one fabricating a story here, not I. As to your concerns, when you made me aware of them yesterday, Friday, , I immediately responded to you within hours and then continued to email Skip with all the information you passed on to me, together with your contact details. I gave you all of Skip's contact details as well and told you that if you had any issues regarding the cue that the best, fastest - AND MOST CORRECT - way to resolve this was to bring you and Skip together as soon as possible, return the cue to him should he feel it was appropriate and have Skip look at your issues first-hand, in his shop, where - if he found your claims to be correct - could make any and all necessary steps to take care of your concerns and return the cue to you with a finish that Skip feels is representative for his cues.

I take strong offense to your unfounded sarcasm and allogations that the shafts are not originals, that they were not new, that there is no warranty should there be any issues, that the cue is not new just because it is dated from 2005. Not all cues are sold hot off the assembly line. Take a Jerry Franklin cue from early 90's, occassionally assembled and broken down to show potential buyers this fine South West cue original from the time Jerry was still among us. Surely the cue is still new today if it is presented to the market in 2006, not sold previously and not used.

Carrying several cues for sale in my cue cases to the pool halls, a person who is interested in buying the cue would want to assemble it and perhaps hit a ball or two just to have an understanding of what kind of instrument he is holding in his hands. Back to the Weston cue, if this cue had a couple of people interested in it locally and wanted to hold it and feel it it in their hand, I maintain that the cue is perfectly new. Plus, the fact that I tested it for hit and correct assembly, hitting softly about two racks of 9-ball (no there was no break, just spread the balls around a small area on the table by hand), the cue still remains new. No games were played with it, nor was it assembled at any time for more than five, six minutes.

FACTS ABOUT THE WESTON CUE.

- The cue was ordered by me from Skip for resell to a European player.
- The deal was not completed and cue remained with me, kept in a climate-controlled environment.
- The cue came with the same two shafts that were shipped to Matthew Sutton, the grieved buyer in this thread.
- What concern the buyer has with the ferrules, I cannot give a final answer on whether this is something that has escaped Skip when he completed the cue. Only Skip can answer this as he built them in the first place. Personally, I did not see any issue with the ferrules, but again, I cannot answer for the buyer who has his own subjective opinion on the cue. If Skip feels the claim is valid, this issue will be corrected under the new-cue warranty.
- Same goes for the wrap. What stain? If there is a stain ever so small, it has escaped me and again, if it is something that Skip feels is not up to par, he will resolve it.
- The cue was an a-stock product. No throw-away. Skip would never do this. This is my strongest argument that the buyer has got some very unique and subjective feelings about this cue that might be colored merely due to your longer wait for delivery. You were already in a mode to find whatever fault you could, just to blow steam. I know Skip wouldn't send out a secondrate product. If anything, Skip has built his name on the fine workmanship displayed in all his cues. I hope that his level of detail and quality remains constant.

I am not going to say you are fabricating this, but I must say it is unusual. I gave you the benefit of the doubt and cennected you with Skip immediately. I want your purchasing experience to be a good one. I want you to not just feel the cue is ok, I want you to adore the cue, to embrace it. Now, if you feel that it is not possible to do this at this time, then let's fix it. The correct way is to have Skip look at it under a microscope and get back to you.

I have no problem reimbursing your cost for shipping the cue to Skip.

But do not spread false information around when there is not a reason to do so. You wrote me same day as you received the cue, Friday 5/12. I responded to you same day only hours later and Skip was notified by email immediately. I cannot offer better/faster service than this response time.

To the rest of you blood-thirsty wolves, below is the email I sent Skip asap when I learned of buyer's issues (buyer's address and my personal closing have been omitted). I don't ever pass on my personal correspondance with Skip, but it is obvious that the wolfpack won't stop attacking until fed properly. Now, Skip does not involve himself in any sales or follow-up on sales and I strongly urge you all to respect this. His only interest is in the cues themselves and that they all are to the level of quality that he himself is satisfied with.

If Mr. Sutton's claims are valid, they will surely be addressed and resolved. To the rest of you with shitty commentary, kindly mind your own business. If you would like to voice your opinion to this thread, 1) be properly informed, 2) be constructive and 3) be civilized. Is that too much to ask?

EMAIL TO CUEMAKER:
"Hello Skip....

....I need to ask draw your attention to the Kingwood cue for a moment. The customer of the Kingwood cue just received it and has written me with some serious concern as to the workmanship of the shafts and wrap of this cue. He says he has several of your cues and he feels that this particular cue is considerably below the quality he is accustomed to from your cues. Something about the ferrules not matching up with the shafts and that there is a stain on the wrap of some sorts. He also claims that by looking at the inside of the shafts, he believes the the shafts are used in play for considerable time..which they are not. The cue has been assembled about a dozen times for demo purposes and it has shot 2-3 racks to test it prior to selling. This is all the usage it has had. I don't know the details of how he believes this to be so and I think that the frustration he might feel with regards to the ferrules and wrap might have spilled over to the overall impression he has with the cue. I am sure that when those issues are resolved - should there be anything in err - that the cue will be quite satisfactory.

As to the issues raised above, I have emailed him your contact details, knowing that the way to resolve this is for you to have a look at the shafts/cue yourself and discuss the issues at hand directly with the customer.

I have suggested he email you directly but for your file I also include is address below:......"

END.

Buyer cannot dispute the authenticity of this email as I can provide anyone with the original email scan and the email tail (containing recipients and datestamp).
Note. As for the first attempt to sell this cue, I contend that both buyer and I could have done things differently and better. However, the transaction was reversed by Paypal as per buyer complaint which I accepted, thus fully refunded.

Last edited: