"tips" of english

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is there a consensus on what constitutes a "tip" ?
I'd never given it much thought before
but read that a tip=3mm
thoughts?

additionally, is there a standard stripe size?
I read 27mm..so divide 3 into that and that means you get 4.5 tips of english in
on either side before miscueing

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not much for micro english. I will avoid it as far as cinching shots. English though has useful effects for what the ball does upon contact with a cushion. Run, reverse, open, close propel itself, kill itself... all rather like throttling where terms like minimum, more, lots etc. have more meaning. But since you asked, does full tip mean immediately adjacent to the vertical axis (which could be seen as half a tip and therefore a half tip more than that) or wTF???

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
is there a consensus on what constitutes a "tip" ?
No.

The most common definitions measure cue tip widths or fractions of maximum spin. Here's a convenient combination of those:

> 1 "tip" = 1/2 cue tip width, which also = 1/3 of maximum spin.

An alternate way of visualizing the same thing:

> aim the center of the shaft at 1/2 max, max and 1 1/2 max spin (1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 radius).

pj
chgo

Tips Offset C.jpg

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
one tip on the horizontal is 1 diamond distance side rail to side rail
thats my definition

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
one tip on the horizontal is 1 diamond distance side rail to side rail
thats my definition

that's pretty much how i do it as well. I have 4 tips on my CB. I use 1 instead of 0 but other than that, it's for the most part like in the illustration. I use the 1-4 to coincide with 0,15,30 and 45 degree hits on my OB...it all makes sense in my cluttered mind, somehow.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
one tip on the horizontal is 1 diamond distance side rail to side rail thats my definition
On most tables that's 1/3 of maximum spin (as shown in the diagram) per diamond of distance - i.e., maximum spin = 3 diamonds.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
that's pretty much how i do it as well. I have 4 tips on my CB. I use 1 instead of 0 but other than that, it's for the most part like in the illustration. I use the 1-4 to coincide with 0,15,30 and 45 degree hits on my OB...it all makes sense in my cluttered mind, somehow.
Not sure if we're saying the same thing, but this "alternate way" described with my diagram above is the same as aiming the center of the shaft at the "15, 30 and 45 degree" hits on the CB - kind of a "spin by fractions" method.

"An alternate way of visualizing the same thing:

> aim the center of the shaft at 1/2 max, max and 1 1/2 max spin (1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 radius)."

pj
chgo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not sure if we're saying the same thing, but this "alternate way" described with my diagram above is the same as aiming the center of the shaft at the "15, 30 and 45 degree" hits on the CB - kind of a "spin by fractions" method.

"An alternate way of visualizing the same thing:

> aim the center of the shaft at 1/2 max, max and 1 1/2 max spin (1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 radius)."

pj
chgo
i am confused by the above
i could be wrong but a 1/4 ball aim is a 15 degree cut which is your 2/3 tip not 1/3
similarly
45 degree is a 1/4 ball hit which has your aim off the ball
:confused::confused:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
i am confused by the above
i could be wrong but a 1/4 ball aim is a 15 degree cut which is your 2/3 tip not 1/3
similarly
45 degree is a 1/4 ball hit which has your aim off the ball
:confused::confused:
That's why I said "15, 30 and 45 degree hits on the CB" - meaning 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 radius from center ball.

I know it's a little confusing to say it that way... I did it in order to show the similarity between this "fractional" method of aiming the tip at the CB with the fractional method of aiming the CB at the OB.

pj
chgo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's why I said "15, 30 and 45 degree hits on the CB" - meaning 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 radius from center ball.

I know it's a little confusing to say it that way... I did it in order to show the similarity between this "fractional" method of aiming the tip at the CB with the fractional method of aiming the CB at the OB.

pj
chgo

Thanks for the explanation pat

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
No.

The most common definitions measure cue tip widths or fractions of maximum spin. Here's a convenient combination of those:

> 1 "tip" = 1/2 cue tip width, which also = 1/3 of maximum spin.

An alternate way of visualizing the same thing:

> aim the center of the shaft at 1/2 max, max and 1 1/2 max spin (1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 radius).

pj
chgo

View attachment 543271

I like the above illistration, then think of the CB like the Face of a Clock, with the 12 hour points, and Center Ball you have a Total of 37 Points of or place to hit the CB.

Simple as pie to imagine, but tought to hit consistantly. With practice it will become easier.