Cyclops hyperion balls arrived today!

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great

Congratulations for my taste they look great and I plan on getting a set also, hope you have many hours of enjoyment with them.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not like the colors. Watching the International Open last week Danny D and I were both getting confused about the correct rotation because of those non traditional colors.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Purely subjective but I like the colors. They show up better watching on a screen. The darker, traditional colors don't differentiate nearly as well under a questionable internet connection, camera equipment, angle, etc.

My wife is a fan of sets that include a pink ball. My own personal study is conclusive, lol. She pays a lot more attention to matches I'm casting on the TV anytime there's a pink ball.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The soon-to-be-released Predator balls are made by Cyclop and are traditional in color.
"Unique cue ball with distinctive targeting triangles"

How's the "targeting triangle" supposedly used?

pj
chgo

ARC2 balls-crop.jpg

Last edited:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Purely subjective but I like the colors. They show up better watching on a screen. The darker, traditional colors don't differentiate nearly as well under a questionable internet connection, camera equipment, angle, etc.

My wife is a fan of sets that include a pink ball. My own personal study is conclusive, lol. She pays a lot more attention to matches I'm casting on the TV anytime there's a pink ball.

I like the Hyperion design better than those other sets. I guess I can get used to the colors.

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To each his own but to me those are hideous. Don't like the octagon or the funky tv colors.

I totally agree about the funky colors.

A story was told to me on how the blue cloth color was determined by either Diamond or Simonis . ( And I would be happy if someone would correct me if I am terribly off on this) A standard color set of pool balls to taken to some color scientist and asked them what would be the best color of cloth to make the balls stand out more ( "more visible"). And if my memory and story is correct that is how they came up with the "tournament blue" that is so popular today.As an aside, I do not think it is coincidental that the color of the court surface for the US Open Tennis is just about the same color (as our tournament blue cloth cover) for the bright yellow colored tennis balls.

So now that it was so painstakingly researched into what cloth color is best for the standard color sets ....out comes many new muted colored balls that IMO are far less visible with the blue cloth now used.

I am open to criticism and corrections.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

You're wrong.

No, seriously color is very subjective and we all see it differently. I like the tournament blue and have it currently but I also liked the original simonis green. I have both traditional and TV balls. Both have their advantages and I swap back and forth with the other set cleaned and waiting.

Fortunately, they still make both (and dozens of other) cloth colors and plenty of different ball sets. My grey walls have just a hint of blue so green would have looked awful.
f1ff4fb0e9e0c02007be6a1e4de2a5d7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
18c230fcb6cb8872a0b7c22293c9c78a.jpg

Last edited:

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're wrong.

No, seriously color is very subjective and we all see it differently. I like the tournament blue and have it currently but I also liked the original simonis green. I have both traditional and TV balls. Both have their advantages and I swap back and forth with the other set cleaned and waiting.

Fortunately, they still make both (and dozens of other) cloth colors and plenty of different ball sets. My grey walls have just a hint of blue so green would have looked awful.

Thank you for your comments.

I am glad you are happy with your personal preferences. I am sure what you have chosen works very well for you and your decor. And yes there are and will always be many choices of colors for balls , cloths, wall paint etc. But what I am questioning is what is the best color balls (for the majority of players) for the now the most popular cloth color used in most major tournaments.

The corrections/comments I am looking for is in regards to the story I heard of how the tournament blue color originated. It would be great if someone else has heard of this sequence of events or heard something different.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally agree about the funky colors.

A story was told to me on how the blue cloth color was determined by either Diamond or Simonis . ( And I would be happy if someone would correct me if I am terribly off on this) A standard color set of pool balls to taken to some color scientist and asked them what would be the best color of cloth to make the balls stand out more ( "more visible"). And if my memory and story is correct that is how they came up with the "tournament blue" that is so popular today.As an aside, I do not think it is coincidental that the color of the court surface for the US Open Tennis is just about the same color (as our tournament blue cloth cover) for the bright yellow colored tennis balls.

So now that it was so painstakingly researched into what cloth color is best for the standard color sets ....out comes many new muted colored balls that IMO are far less visible with the blue cloth now used.

Blue offers more contrast. In tennis, they switched to blue because its easier to spot a fast moving ball against it. Same reason,contrast, for pool. Easier to see the edge using blue. The funky tv balls are not needed IF the stream/broadcast is in HD. They were designed with standard def. in mind.

Last edited: