Cyclop Hyperion Pool Balls

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Four times; same results.
For a roll test I like to do six tries for each ball with a different axis to the left on each roll. I use a small arrow marked on the ball so I can control the orientation.

It's also good to do a separate test for roundness which the roll test is not guaranteed to find. I have gauges for this -- round holes in steel plates.

I have seen a tool for this also -- the ball sits on three bearings and a dial indicator gauge touches the ball at the top. The ball is rotated in various positions and changes in the dial are noted. I suppose you could calibrate the dial to tell you diameter but it's not exactly a diameter. More expensive commercial machines can measure sphericity to one microinch or better.

Trivia: it is possible for something that's nearly a sphere to have all diameters equal but not actually be a sphere.

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a roll test I like to do six tries for each ball with a different axis to the left on each roll. I use a small arrow marked on the ball so I can control the orientation.

It's also good to do a separate test for roundness which the roll test is not guaranteed to find. I have gauges for this -- round holes in steel plates.

I have seen a tool for this also -- the ball sits on three bearings and a dial indicator gauge touches the ball at the top. The ball is rotated in various positions and changes in the dial are noted. I suppose you could calibrate the dial to tell you diameter but it's not exactly a diameter. More expensive commercial machines can measure sphericity to one microinch or better.

Trivia: it is possible for something that's nearly a sphere to have all diameters equal but not actually be a sphere.

A bit too technical, IMO. Four times each to determine which rolls further is sufficient for me. If you need to do additional tests to fill your appetite, please post your results.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A bit too technical, IMO. Four times each to determine which rolls further is sufficient for me. If you need to do additional tests to fill your appetite, please post your results.

The more extensive roll test is to see if the ball is round and centered. I feel it is important.

I found that when I rolled the ball over the same path repeatedly, the later trials would roll farther.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The more extensive roll test is to see if the ball is round and centered. I feel it is important.

I found that when I rolled the ball over the same path repeatedly, the later trials would roll farther.

When will you be purchasing a set to test and posting your results?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When will you be purchasing a set to test and posting your results?

I hadn't planned to buy a set. I don't need one. If they have them at DCC I may try some tests there if there's dead time in the 14.1 room.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roll test …. schmoll test...…

I have now had the pleasure to play with these new Cyclop balls and can attest that they do indeed play very nicely. No complaints except for one … they don't go into the pockets nearly enough....and I think its the balls, not me.... :(

NUMBnS1L3NT

Today, I received my set of Cyclop Hyperion Pool Balls. Shout out to Jacky Zhang at China Billiards on a smooth transaction and fast shipping. My set arrived factory sealed with the Cyclop hologram on the box. There have been some reported issues of the octagons not being centered in the circles. To my eye, some in my set are perfectly centered, some a little off and some quite a bit off from center. I have resigned to the fact it is what it is and Cyclop will not be correcting or QC'ing the issue. With what I paid ($220 shipped) and the fact that I like the uniqueness of the set, I am satisfied with the purchase; not ecstatic, satisfied. Each ball weights between 170-171 grams with both cue balls weighing 171 grams. All balls roll true and play as well as any other premium set I own. I'm looking forward to ring game play with the Dragon 10B.

45739805491_0352d92fcf_o.jpg

45689349092_0433ea16d5_o.jpg
I've been desperately trying to find a new set of these but completely striking out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been desperately trying to find a new set of these but completely striking out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Try contacting Christine:

Christine He
GUANGZHOU HALF BILLIARDS COMPANY LIMITEDAdd: NO.34,Yayuanzhong road, Xinya street,Huadu District,Guangzhou,Guangdong, China
Mobile/Whatsapp: 86-13602889722 Tel: +86-20-85266646
E-mail: Christine@half-fun.com http://www.half-fun.com 

Company is legit.

Lou Figueroa

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try contacting Christine:

Christine He
GUANGZHOU HALF BILLIARDS COMPANY LIMITEDAdd: NO.34,Yayuanzhong road, Xinya street,Huadu District,Guangzhou,Guangdong, China
Mobile/Whatsapp: 86-13602889722 Tel: +86-20-85266646
E-mail: Christine@half-fun.com http://www.half-fun.com 

Company is legit.

Lou Figueroa
either that site doesn't exist or my computer won't let me in due to security reasons.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
either that site doesn't exist or my computer won't let me in due to security reasons.
According to archive.org, half-fun.com has never existed as a website. There are various sites associated with "GUANGZHOU HALF BILLIARDS COMPANY LIMITED"

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to archive.org, half-fun.com has never existed as a website. There are various sites associated with "GUANGZHOU HALF BILLIARDS COMPANY LIMITED"
I did a quik search and there are a few sets of Cyclop balls out there. Some are asking stupid prices for them. I don't get it.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What happened with Cyclops? Did they just get underbid by Predator when they came out with their own balls? When I was last active on this site, they (Cyclops) were still fairly new. Bought a set myself. Love them. Now, all the big tournaments have been taken over by Predator, using Predator balls, Cyclops are nowhere to be found in US events anymore

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got a couple of sets of Cyclops Aries balls. They spent about 2 years in a private room with six good tables and high quality carpet. When I got them they looked like they had low-crawled through Khe Sanh in early '68. I tried to buff then out, but the surface, which must have been some kind of coating, wouldn't budge. I called a buddy at PoolDawg and he said that there had been serious issues with the early runs of the balls and that they were backing out. Point is that Cyclop had quality control issues that probably pushed them out of business