Eight-ball and Nine-ball hybrid game --> Fifteen-ball!

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Ok guys please, before you say anything, I know there already is a game called 15-ball with its own ruleset. I have no idea how this fictional game would be called, but I chose the name to make a parallel with 9-ball. It's just an idea I had when I studied Nine-ball rules and strategy - why not make a game with a 15 ball set, where the 15 ball would be the money ball? But unlike the existing 15-ball game, why not make all other rules pretty much the same as 9-ball?

1. Racking just like 8-ball, but with 15 ball in the central position in the rack. 1 ball has to be placed on the top of the triangle, while the positions of other balls don't matter.

2. Standard break like in 9-ball: the shooter needs to hit the 1 ball first or it's a foul.

3. The player who pockets 15 ball on the break legally, or drops it at any time in the game while hitting the lowest-numbered balls first wins.

All other rules the same like in 9-ball.

What do you think about the concept of the game? I tried to make it fun, but still harder than regular 9-ball. Anyone heard of something like this before?

wrickyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes it is called 10 ball the same game just 5 less balls and in most cases is call shot.

Magog30

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, it is 9 ball with 15 balls. They used to play 15 ball in the Asian games. You should check out the game "Triple Play". It is the same as 9 ball but with 3 moneyballs, the 5,10,15 which are racked in the middle. I play a game similar to "Triple Play" that I currently call "Moneyball".

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Yes it is called 10 ball the same game just 5 less balls and in most cases is call shot.

I know what 10-ball is, but here I proposed a similar game with all fifteen balls. Call shot or no call shot, I'm not really sure how this game should be played.

Yes, it is 9 ball with 15 balls. They used to play 15 ball in the Asian games. You should check out the game "Triple Play". It is the same as 9 ball but with 3 moneyballs, the 5,10,15 which are racked in the middle. I play a game similar to "Triple Play" that I currently call "Moneyball".

There are many other variants, however, this one should have only one moneyball (the 15 ball).

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok guys please, before you say anything, I know there already is a game called 15-ball with its own ruleset. I have no idea how this fictional game would be called, but I chose the name to make a parallel with 9-ball. It's just an idea I had when I studied Nine-ball rules and strategy - why not make a game with a 15 ball set, where the 15 ball would be the money ball? But unlike the existing 15-ball game, why not make all other rules pretty much the same as 9-ball?

1. Racking just like 8-ball, but with 15 ball in the central position in the rack. 1 ball has to be placed on the top of the triangle, while the positions of other balls don't matter.

2. Standard break like in 9-ball: the shooter needs to hit the 1 ball first or it's a foul.

3. The player who pockets 15 ball on the break legally, or drops it at any time in the game while hitting the lowest-numbered balls first wins.

All other rules the same like in 9-ball.

What do you think about the concept of the game? I tried to make it fun, but still harder than regular 9-ball. Anyone heard of something like this before?

It's rotation with slightly different rules, seen it played this way. I guess you mean for this game to be played by the top 10 players in the world that started to make 10 ball look like 9 ball. Let's just say there is nothing much new in the world, everyone that thinks they have a great new idea finds out some guy already did it 10 years ago.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Would definitely be very tough to run the rack. For most players I think riding the 15 is the best bet until half of the balls are off the table.

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
It's rotation with slightly different rules, seen it played this way. I guess you mean for this game to be played by the top 10 players in the world that started to make 10 ball look like 9 ball. Let's just say there is nothing much new in the world, everyone that thinks they have a great new idea finds out some guy already did it 10 years ago.

I somehow doubted myself that noone had this idea before. It's pretty obvious that once you had 9-ball and 10-ball people would like to go even higher, to the maximum number of balls. It's not meant only for top players but it would certainly be a very difficult game.

Would definitely be very tough to run the rack. For most players I think riding the 15 is the best bet until half of the balls are off the table.

Hmmm... since this game would be so hard, there should be a no shot calling version for weaker and intermediate players, where riding the 15 would be possible, and shot calling version for advanced players.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I think you should learn to run 9-ball racks before you start trying to invent harder games...

Banks

Banned
I think you should learn to run 9-ball racks before you start trying to invent harder games...

Just a few months ago he was saying that he doesn't even play 9b, but now it's so easy that he needs to create yet another game(just like Deathball 8-ball or his 8-ball point game). I am curious, though, as to whether 15b would start with a RAM shot or a Power Blow.

Also, have any of the pros in his country ran a rack yet? Or am I getting troll aliases confused? :confused:

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried it on a snooker table a while back after I found out the pool hall had spots and striped snooker balls. It was extremely tough, and I suggested that this is what the pros should be playing. On a 12x6 with 4.5 inch pockets.

But it wouldn't make it onto TV. Games would last too long and most games would end up in a drawn out safety battle...but that's what I enjoy watching.

I'd settle for 9b on a 12x6 though.

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member

Me, yes, but there are many players out there who could handle this game.

Just a few months ago he was saying that he doesn't even play 9b, but now it's so easy that he needs to create yet another game(just like Deathball 8-ball or his 8-ball point game). I am curious, though, as to whether 15b would start with a RAM shot or a Power Blow.

Also, have any of the pros in his country ran a rack yet? Or am I getting troll aliases confused? :confused:

I still don't play nine ball cause we don't even have 9 ball racks. This game can be played in every place where 8 ball is played. And what's the big deal with point system 8 ball?! Better stop posting here and RAM shot your head.

I tried it on a snooker table a while back after I found out the pool hall had spots and striped snooker balls. It was extremely tough, and I suggested that this is what the pros should be playing. On a 12x6 with 4.5 inch pockets.

But it wouldn't make it onto TV. Games would last too long and most games would end up in a drawn out safety battle...but that's what I enjoy watching.

I'd settle for 9b on a 12x6 though.

It would certainly be fun to play (not to watch) and because the matches would last long, it would be a perfect game for coin op tables ;)

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
You do know you use a standard rack to rack 9 ball? Right?

No way! :rolleyes: what I'm saying is that 9 ball is so unknown in this region that noone ever saw a diamond rack, and I never met a single player who played 9 ball instead of 8. Sad, I know, but for now I'm stuck with 8 ball. Back to the subject?

Banks

Banned
No way! :rolleyes: what I'm saying is that 9 ball is so unknown in this region that noone ever saw a diamond rack, and I never met a single player who played 9 ball instead of 8. Sad, I know, but for now I'm stuck with 8 ball. Back to the subject?

I can only assume that you troll on purpose, because I really can't see anybody saying this kind of stuff with any bit of seriousness.

Unless..

pushnpoolkiller.jpg

Spantiznik

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read this and thought of "Fargo". Random or in order. But, it doesn't have a winning ball. Just a tally of points.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You do know you use a standard rack to rack 9 ball? Right?

I was going to say the same thing, I think the last time I saw a dedicated 9 ball rack was in ... maybe 1991. I could be off on that. Form what I remember, they racked really bad, hard to get things tight because there was no space to move your hands against the balls. <-- you know, it's really hard to talk about pool without it sounding X-rated.

It's like not playing 9 ball because all the tables had 15 balls on them and you could not find one with only 9.

Reminds me of a blond joke. Two blonds were building a house, one kept looking at the nails and trowing them away. The scond blond came over and asked why throw all those out? "Because the heads are on the wrong side" the first blond said. "You idiot!" said the second blond "those are fine, they are just for the other side of the house!"

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
Okay, I'll go ahead and create a game variation. We will call it 8-ball Rot. Full 15 ball rack, 8 on the spot, 1 and 9 on the back corners. The break must drive at least 4 balls to a rail or the incoming player gets ball in hand. Ball in hand on all fouls.

One player gets stripes, one gets solids (- the 8 ball). This is decided by coin toss before the break.

The balls must be pocketed in numerical order - 1 to 7 for solids, 9-15 for stripes. Then the 8 ball for the win. Call pocket on each shot. If the 8 ball is made out of turn, that player loses the game.

A couple of you try this and let me know how it goes. :grin-square:

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
I was going to say the same thing, I think the last time I saw a dedicated 9 ball rack was in ... maybe 1991. I could be off on that. Form what I remember, they racked really bad, hard to get things tight because there was no space to move your hands against the balls. <-- you know, it's really hard to talk about pool without it sounding X-rated.

It's like not playing 9 ball because all the tables had 15 balls on them and you could not find one with only 9.

Reminds me of a blond joke. Two blonds were building a house, one kept looking at the nails and trowing them away. The scond blond came over and asked why throw all those out? "Because the heads are on the wrong side" the first blond said. "You idiot!" said the second blond "those are fine, they are just for the other side of the house!"

No, it's like not playing nine ball because there are no players who play it, and we play on coin ops where a fast paced game like 9 ball would mean too much spent cash.

Okay, I'll go ahead and create a game variation. We will call it 8-ball Rot. Full 15 ball rack, 8 on the spot, 1 and 9 on the back corners. The break must drive at least 4 balls to a rail or the incoming player gets ball in hand. Ball in hand on all fouls.

One player gets stripes, one gets solids (- the 8 ball). This is decided by coin toss before the break.

The balls must be pocketed in numerical order - 1 to 7 for solids, 9-15 for stripes. Then the 8 ball for the win. Call pocket on each shot. If the 8 ball is made out of turn, that player loses the game.

A couple of you try this and let me know how it goes. :grin-square:

Maybe I will. I wonder why there isn't a section for inventing, testing and discussing new pool games? Sooner or later someone would invent something good :)