2014 Spokane Open final match.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I had been sweating the Spokane Open matches on Rail2Rail this weekend, but had to travel before the finals. So I just watched the archived video of the final match between Brady Gollan and Rafael Martinez. What a clinic. Rafael put Brady in the losers bracket and Brady seemed a little tight in that match. Heh, not the case here. If you have not seen it or heard the result I do not want to be the spoiler. Just watch the match. Brady did have to beat him twice and this is the second set.:cool::thumbup:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/52166064

Last edited:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I remember years ago when I went to my first big (just a local tournament, but big to me at the time) tournament, I watched Brady play shots I had never seen before and completely dismantle an out-of-town player who had gone undefeated and unchallenged right up until the finals. Dude was on a roll but he ran into a freight train that day.

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
Thanks for the clip. There are a lot of talented players that I have never heard of!

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Watching the first set of the finals now.

I am now watching the first set of the finals and Paul Potier is helping with the commentary. He is a very good commentator and provides some great insights. I think at one point he does refer to Rafael as a train. He is doing a great job of drawing the girls back to the match when they start to focus on conversation rather than the action. He really is a connoisseur of the game and loves a good match up.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Thanks for the clip. There are a lot of talented players that I have never heard of!
I had heard of him but never was aware of his skill until I drew him in the opening round last year in the Spokane Open.
Not only is he an amazing talent but also a true gentleman and ambassador of the game.
Here is a quote from the thread I started on the Spokane Open last year.
We arrive Friday night shortly before the draw. I see a friend from Tri-cities and go to say hi. Before I can say anything, he starts telling me how he just watched this guy run six racks. I look to the table he is indicating and see a guy I do not know unscrewing his cue. He then tells me his name is Brady Golan and he won the tournament last year.

Now my wife walks up and tells me she just saw the draw and I am playing Brandy Golden, maybe a girl. I suspected otherwise! I go look at the board and will be playing Brady Golan on the tv table at 11 the next morning. The rest of the evening every person I speak with relates another story of his accomplishments. Starting with Dan Louie, who tells me, "Oh yea Brady has won this tournament more times than anyone." Then I get to hear how he ran seven racks in the finals one year, someone else thought he had won the tournament seven times, another talked of Canadian snooker championships.......and on and on.

Nervous, does not describe how I felt. Still it is what I came for.

The next morning I put my game face on and prepared to die in battle with honor. I played up to my ability and did win 4 games! My hands did quit shaking after I had won 2 games. Brady is a true gentleman and I definitely got my monies worth.

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
Nice post! I did a little research and found that he won a major tournament in Canada a few years ago, taking a not-to-shabby $5,000 first prize!

I had heard of him but never was aware of his skill until I drew him in the opening round last year in the Spokane Open.
Not only is he an amazing talent but also a true gentleman and ambassador of the game.
Here is a quote from the thread I started on the Spokane Open last year.

whitey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know you can't see it in the finals but Rafael was crushing people 9-1 most matches throughout the tournament, including Brady. So Brady knew better than to give him a chance.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I know you can't see it in the finals but Rafael was crushing people 9-1 most matches throughout the tournament, including Brady. So Brady knew better than to give him a chance.
I think it is the first set of the finals, where the girls mention that When Rafael played John Plunket, John got two looks at the table. Once Rafael played a safety and John got to kick at a ball. Once Rafael rolled out after the break and John gave it back. That was all he got.

That made the last match kind of like when the Irresistible force meets the immovable object.

I just finished watching the first set of the finals. Rafael wins the game to tie the match at 5-5. He then scratches the break. Brady runs out then breaks and runs the next two to get on the hill. Then he breaks dry. Rafael tries a difficult combination shooting the one and misses leaving an open shot. Brady runs out. He then wins the lag in the second set and breaks and runs 5. The 4 ball he missed in the 6th rack might have skidded.

So technically it was not a nine rack run but he did run nine racks in a row.
:cool::thumbup::cool:

obsespool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had been sweating the Spokane Open matches on Rail2Rail this weekend, but had to travel before the finals. So I just watched the archived video of the final match between Brady Gollan and Rafael Martinez. What a clinic. Rafael put Brady in the losers bracket and Brady seemed a little tight in that match. Heh, not the case here. If you have not seen it or heard the result I do not want to be the spoiler. Just watch the match. Brady did have to beat him twice and this is the second set.:cool::thumbup:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/52166064
It was truly a pleasure to watch this yesterday. Brady played great! I felt the thrill of his win and felt his hard work n effort to get there! Congratulations!
I seldom get to see those kind of packages in tourneys with much 'bigger' names!
Awesome Brady!
Thanks for the pleasure of watching this Brady and Rail2Rail!

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Just heard a little insider information.

Rafael played all of his matches on the TV table. Some of the players were a little miffed. Hearsay has it that Brady remarked "Let me play 3 matches in a row on that table and see how he likes it!"

Well that is how it came down, Brady played Paul Potier and then Tod Marsh and then Rafael on the TV table. The bracket board on Rail2rail shows the matches played on the TV table in red.

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing that one. I had never heard of this Brady guy, but I'll bet I remember him from now on. Great match, great level of play. I imagine both players shot over .900 there.

Nice to see Rafael lose for once. Every time he comes to Oklahoma, he beats everybody. :)

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
155 break in snooker.

From another thread here on AZB.

I was looking around on the cbsa (Canadian Billiard and Snooker Association) website and found a history of past Canadian snooker champions. For most of the years, in the mens division, it states the high break for the tournament. Here is the line for 1988

1988 Brady Golan def. John Bear 7-3 Halifax. NS 155 - Brady Golan

Everything else I have read suggests that no one has ever made a 155. You would think that if a 155 was made it would be fairly well reported, especially seeing as in 1988 Snooker was televised in Canada and this tournament would have had some press, not much but enough that snooker fans in Britain would know about it.

Does anybody know about this? Is it a mistake or is it for real?