It's george cue

Xcueguy

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
George cues were were made with 5/16 14 pins in both piloted and flat face joints. There are some that have a bastard 5/16 14 pin that are not interchangeable with standard 5/16 14 thread.
I do know of at least one cue that has a special pin specifically made for it but I am unaware if others exist.
Hope this helps.

half fast bankr

Purist / Traditionalist
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
^^^ say what?

xcueguy nailed it.

and why is this posted in the for sale / wanted forum if nothing is being sought or sold?????????????

Last edited:

CoryC

marksmithcues.com
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
It's George pin size is .302" x 14tpi which slightly smaller than 5/16x14. A 5/16x14 shaft will fit on an It's George butt because the size difference is not that great but an It's George shaft will not fit on a 5/16x14 pin. The .302 diameter hole is too small.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
It's George pin size is .302" x 14tpi which slightly smaller than 5/16x14. A 5/16x14 shaft will fit on an It's George butt because the size difference is not that great but an It's George shaft will not fit on a 5/16x14 pin. The .302 diameter hole is too small.

This is splitting hairs a bit because you are correct about what will fit and what will not, but I don't believe it is the ".302 hole" of the insert that keeps it from threading on a normal pin. It is the pitch diameter that is too small. Technically, the "hole" in the insert is the minor diameter, and much smaller than .302.

Kelly

Last edited:

CoryC

marksmithcues.com
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I have tried to screw an It's George shaft onto an 5/16 pin and it's not close. The pin would not fit into the shaft hole enough to engage the threads. 5/16 equates to .312. The .010 difference is noticable.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have tried to screw an It's George shaft onto an 5/16 pin and it's not close. The pin would not fit into the shaft hole enough to engage the threads. 5/16 equates to .312. The .010 difference is noticable.

If you screw a George shaft onto a George butt, there is plenty of play while threading. The tolerance between the major diameter of the inserts Mike Roberts used and the .302 major diameter of the pins are not that tight. The reality is that the pitch diameter of the insert in a George shaft is what really keeps it from threading on a standard 5/16-14 pin, not the major diameter of the insert.

Kelly

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I just measured the minor diameter of some George inserts and standard inserts. The minor diameter of the George inserts are actually quite small. The difference in minor diameters of the inserts is more like .020, twice the difference of the major diameters of the two pins. I am a little surprised at that.

Maybe it IS the hole of the insert (minor diameter), or maybe it is all 3 measurements, the minor, major, and thread pitch diameters. <shrug>

In my first post, I was partly confused by your reference to the .302 hole in the shaft. I even had to edit my post because I was naming things incorrectly. The minor diameter of my George inserts is about .236.

Kelly

half fast bankr

Purist / Traditionalist
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Quoting this and the last few posts about the same...

I just measured the minor diameter of some George inserts and standard inserts. The minor diameter of the George inserts are actually quite small. The difference in minor diameters of the inserts is more like .020, twice the difference of the major diameters of the two pins. I am a little surprised at that.

Maybe it IS the hole of the insert (minor diameter), or maybe it is all 3 measurements, the minor, major, and thread pitch diameters. <shrug>

In my first post, I was partly confused by your reference to the .302 hole in the shaft. I even had to edit my post because I was naming things incorrectly. The minor diameter of my George inserts is about .236.

Kelly

Glad you guys brought this up as I've just recently run into this EXACT situation! Damn It's George for this pin size, DAMN HIM! Keeps me from putting on custom made 'standard' 5/16-14 shafts!!!