Sterling Wave case - best choice in this price range ?

M4verick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to get for myself a cue case and I found this case:

http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cases/sterling/sterling_wave_stw5be.htm

I read some past threads about this case (I found some information regarding teared vinyl material, and zipper damage, but also that sterling CS was great).

I know that guiseppe cases are recommended in 120$ price range but I generally dislike vinyl as being imitation of leather. How durable is that nylon material and would you recommend this case ?

I also feel tempted to add 40$ and get this leather case:

But I'm not convinced if the leather case is really that better.

What would you recommend ?

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member

I read some past threads about this case (I found some information regarding teared vinyl material, and zipper damage, but also that sterling CS was great).

I know that guiseppe cases are recommended in 120$ price range but I generally dislike vinyl as being imitation of leather. How durable is that nylon material and would you recommend this case ?

Confused insofar as the two links you provide appear to be one and the same?

Apart from that, I own several John Barton cases, and have bought a couple for students, including the very same Sterling in black blue, which sports JB's so-called "organic rebound" interior, for someone who rides a bike about town. I've so far not heard of any problems, nor had any of my own, and am very happy with the cases. In terms of cue protection, they may be unsurpassed, and at the same time, they tend to be relatively light.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

JasBy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own one of the 3x5 cases and I love it. The first time I fully loaded it, it seemed you have to 'stretch' the interior a bit, but now it works better than any other case I have ever owned. The interior is first class, but i think all the other features are what makes this case shine. The backpack style straps are a must have if you have to walk a distance with the cue, the handle is very soft and comfortable in the hand, and the fact that the zippers on the pockets unzip fully in both directions is the best design feature i have ever seen. Previous cases, especially with the smaller top pocket, you have to stick your hand in and rummage around to find your tip tool or a patch that fell to the bottom. With the fully opening pockets you don't have to do that anymore.

StuartK35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

ASKA 3x5 with the stand and jump pocket...$99(shipped) on Ebay and it's a verrrrry nice case. I own one.

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wave case

Get the Wave case for sure. But don't get the 2x3 get the 3x4/2x5. Why you ask? Simple, the 3x4 is the perfect size case. It is not bulky at all. The 3x4 pockets are a little bigger and you will be happier. Also I find I use the extra capacity all the time. You never know when you will need to throw a friends cue in your case, or if you ever want to carry extra shafts, or you buy another cue, or whatever. I own a fancy JB case, but I carry my wave case as my daily playing setup. Its light, easy to carry, holds everything I need and since its vinyl I don't worry about it getting rained on walking from my car into the pool hall and stuff. The JB case is amazing and truly a work of art, but its big, bulky, and heavy. The wave is awesome. I have the solid black one, and a friend of mine has a 4x8 tan and brown. The 4x8 is a bit big for a daily carrier IMO. Sorry for rambling, I'm medicated....

mistamikel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get the Wave case for sure. But don't get the 2x3 get the 3x4/2x5. Why you ask? Simple, the 3x4 is the perfect size case. It is not bulky at all. The 3x4 pockets are a little bigger and you will be happier. Also I find I use the extra capacity all the time. You never know when you will need to throw a friends cue in your case, or if you ever want to carry extra shafts, or you buy another cue, or whatever. I own a fancy JB case, but I carry my wave case as my daily playing setup. Its light, easy to carry, holds everything I need and since its vinyl I don't worry about it getting rained on walking from my car into the pool hall and stuff. The JB case is amazing and truly a work of art, but its big, bulky, and heavy. The wave is awesome. I have the solid black one, and a friend of mine has a 4x8 tan and brown. The 4x8 is a bit big for a daily carrier IMO. Sorry for rambling, I'm medicated....

Could not agree more

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Yes....best bang for your buck, by far. Also, yes on the 2x5/3x4 config...the overall footprint is actually slightly smaller than most standard 2x4 cases, but the extra room comes in oh so handy. You'll thank us later, trust me. :yeah:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
check out this site the cases are cheaper:thumbup:
http://www.budgetcues.com/sterling-wave-cue-cases.htm
i own a 4x8 its(sterling wave)the best case for the money imho
not sure if your leather one is an organic rebound design:confused:
ill say it again sterling wave is the best bang for the buck case you can buy
p.s. i also have a jb case which stays in my house to store cues
ill give you 4 cents worth
you walk into a pool hall with a jb case
everyone figures you are either REALLY GOOD
or
have alot of disposeable income and maybe you will dispose some of it with them:yikes:
jmho
icbw
i like to be under the radar :D

M4verick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your replies.

I've already ordered Blue-black wave 2x3 before I read your suggestion to buy a bigger case.

But it's not that the 2x3 would be too small for me ?