One Pocket on a 7 ft?

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sucks you have to drive so far to play on a 9 footer. So rock what you got.
Yeah,but as they say "It is what it is"and doesn't appear it will change so based on my ignorance of 1 Pckt I just thought I would float this question.At 61 yrs old I don't have time to wait for another pool boom so ... Thanks for the input,Respectfully,Mike S

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend has a 7 footer has started learning 1 hole on it.
None of us know the game so he has a house rule, only about 5, sometimes 6 ever go.
We all have to play opposite handed the entire games. That rule is stritly enforced for 1 hole.
It's helped all of us for shooting opposite and we're learning some strategies of 1 hole.
2 or 3 times a month we get on a 9' somewhere.
We're old but we're enjoying it and having fun with each other, & have had fun for 50+ years.
The fussin and cussin over missed shots and sharking is a thing to behold.
(I forgot to say we only play 6 ball or 10 ball for 1 hole on this table)

Last edited:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just thought of something else that might help. I've been practicing offensive one hole with a ten ball rack lately. Start with that and it may be easier to get the concept. And watch a ton of Efren playing. Save Chohan videos for later.

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
We used to play a short rack version on small tables. Just like the big game but with a normal 9 ball rack. First to 5 balls win. It was actually pretty darn fun and a way more offensive game.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I think it's possible to learn a few key things with the understanding that the principles involved will change markedly on the larger table.

If I had to do this I would play with a 10-ball or maybe even a six ball rack. And I really wouldn't focus on the offensive part of the game as much as the defensive part of it and work on safeties, caroms, and takeout shots. It's still going to be a whole different bag of squirrels when you play on a 9 footer but it's something.

Lou Figueroa

I like Lou's idea of starting with 10 Balls, the number are proportional to 15 balls, on the larger. 4.5 X 9.0.

Great idea. Yes I did the math, and it looks proportional.

Good tip.

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go for it! Especially with upgraded rails.

There is a really good one pocket tape I can’t remember the guys name. He’s about 70 in the video showing a bunch of one pocket shots on I guess his home table. Anyway it’s a barbox. He died about 10 years ago.

Edit: the Willie Joppling instructional tapes are the ones I’m referring to.

Edit #2: It might have been Toledo Joe and not Willie Joppling. I watched so many one hole tapes over the past 25 years they all blend together. Anyway here is a short clip I found from Toledo Joe playing a one hole shot on a bar table:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfh2_qO8zgY
Thanks for the encouragement.Respectfully,Mike S

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend has a 7 footer has started learning 1 hole on it.
None of us know the game so he has a house rule, only about 5, sometimes 6 ever go.
We all have to play opposite handed the entire games. That rule is stritly enforced for 1 hole.
It's helped all of us for shooting opposite and we're lerning some strategies of 1 hole.
2 or 3 times a month we get on a 9'.
We're old but we're enjoying it and having fun with each other, & have had fun for 50+ years.
The fussin and cussin over missed shots and sharking is a thing to behold
Sounds like your crew has a blast.

BadEnglish

Registered
I'm probably going to try the same thing on an 8 footer. I'm getting back into the pool after 25 years. I reclaimed my childhood table but in a year or two I may end up upgrading to a 9 footer if I can make it fit. For now, I can learn on this as best as I can.

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
We don't have any pool halls left in Salt Lake so, no 9 footers. We have a great bar that has 7 nice Diamond bar boxes. We play 1 pocket all the time. It's great once you figure out the break. Have fun!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I like Lou's idea of starting with 10 Balls, the number are proportional to 15 balls, on the larger. 4.5 X 9.0,
I like Lou's idea and yours. Here's a chart of table sizes and the number of balls that are proportional to each compared with 15 balls on a 9-footer.

pj
chgo

balls per table.JPG

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Lou. I need to put in some FaceTime at the table or I guess the squirrels will continue to outrun me at any game!😄😄

With just balls and a flat cloth covered surface you can learn alot.

Hang in there and see what you can see.

Lou Figueroa

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We don't have any pool halls left in Salt Lake so, no 9 footers. We have a great bar that has 7 nice Diamond bar boxes. We play 1 pocket all the time. It's great once you figure out the break. Have fun!

Thanks Bob.It is nice to hear from you.