Places to play near US Open?

poolpro2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty much what the title says.

I am bringing a cue, and want to hit some.

I have never been in the Norfolk area before. I googled a little, but the knowledge here is much more complete.

Thanks for any help.

John

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
How about Barry Berhman's room? He has tables ranging from 9 foot diamonds to 7' bar boxes, and a great kitchen. In past years this is where the players hang out when they're not at the tournament.

Q-Masters Billiards
5612 Princess Anne Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
http://www.q-masters.com/

poolpro2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you CTYHNTR

That was one of the first places I checked out, and will definitely hit it.

I guess I should of said some of the lesser known places. I have all week so I thought I would explore, but not necessarily wander around without some direction.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I presume you will have a car? Do you know how to drive on the not wrong-right- side of the road?:eek::grin-square:

Some road trips would be to diamond billiards in Richmond (midlothian, actually)
And there is a room in Elizabeth city, nc that sounds like a real poolrooms too. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=403962

Both those places should be 2 hrs or less away.

That said, there should be some good players in Norfolk at the time. Barry's house, qmasters, is probably the best bet during the open. Plus, patron the Patron.

Free advice, worth every penny.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You could try Shooters at 6214 Sewells Point rd, Norfolk....
....pretty sure that was the original QMasters...see a little history.

...but the current QMasters is really the place to go....one of the top 5 in the USA.

poolpro2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any areas I might NOT want to wander into?

I doubt I will be venturing more than 10, maybe 20 miles away.

Around here there aren't many pool halls, but there are 30 bars within a 1/2 an hour that have tables. I think I was imagining something like that.

I like the history thing, so I will definitely try Shooters - thanks!

Also, anywhere I shouldn't wander into? I am at an age where conflict isn't my thing anymore.

Thanks again for the replies, my schedule is filling fast.

emptypockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt I will be venturing more than 10, maybe 20 miles away.

Around here there aren't many pool halls, but there are 30 bars within a 1/2 an hour that have tables. I think I was imagining something like that.

I like the history thing, so I will definitely try Shooters - thanks!

Also, anywhere I shouldn't wander into? I am at an age where conflict isn't my thing anymore.

Thanks again for the replies, my schedule is filling fast.

Don't waste your time looking for Shooter's in Norfolk - it burned to the ground in 2006! :frown: If you're wanting to stay in a 10 mile range, I don't believe you'll find anything better than just staying right at Q-Masters. At any rate, go into the Pro Shop at Q-Masters and introduce yourself to Al. Al took over the shop after Dave Bollman passed. Al will surely take the time and tell you all about whatever other places you might be interested in exploring. :thumbup:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Shooters burned down many years ago. I grew up playing there when it was Q-Masters.

Damn, I think I remember that now....went to the Open in 2006.
Last time I was at the Sewells room was 2000...it was a good time there.

....a young Scott Frost was getting 10-7 from Efren....Scott won.
...a young Alex was watching Cliff Joyner playing Parica one pocket...Alex hadn't played
much one pocket at that time.
....Jose said something to Alex in Tagalog....
....Cliff said to Alex "Stop telling him what to do."
....Cliff had a sense of humor under heat...sign of a good money player.

They had a great Gabriels 3-c table....and good food.

poolpro2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I take off Saturday morning

Thank you all for the suggestions and advice, looks like Q-masters is the place to be.

SHOWTIME1

Pockets

10539 Jefferson Ave.

Newport News, Va. 23601

1-757-591-2162

It's a 30 minute drive north of the U.S. Open, there is action here as well after you have exhausted all of your play at Qmasters.

LightningLarryP. "SHOWTIME"