soft ware and motor controllers

treed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
had'nt seen any post for awhile,whats most using.what seems to be the most reliable and easy to use.read most of the old post with alot of different opinions out there,i have a small mill,with mach 3 and looking at going with a different controller and maybe bobcad .i don't know much about bobcad or different controllers.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Gecko G540 is a very popular controller.
One problem with Bobcad is that if you download the free trial, you have to give them a phone number and many have here have complained that Bobcad salesmen will then inundate you with calls trying to get you to upgrade to the production version.
GCode is not generally difficult to learn to write - especially if you've ever done any computer programming.
HTH
Gary

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The Gecko G540 is a very popular controller.
One problem with Bobcad is that if you download the free trial, you have to give them a phone number and many have here have complained that Bobcad salesmen will then inundate you with calls trying to get you to upgrade to the production version.
GCode is not generally difficult to learn to write - especially if you've ever done any computer programming.
HTH
Gary
Writing codes is simple when moving in simple angles.
Curves and arcs are different animal.
I suggest finding a mastercam loaded computer on Craig's.
Might be cheaper than buying Bobcad.

Mc2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
had'nt seen any post for awhile,whats most using.what seems to be the most reliable and easy to use.read most of the old post with alot of different opinions out there,i have a small mill,with mach 3 and looking at going with a different controller and maybe bobcad .i don't know much about bobcad or different controllers.

What controller is best for you depends on a few things. For a small mill running stepper motors with specs less than 3.5Amps the Gecko G540 controller would work the best with Mach. Setup is relatively easy and if you have issues we should be able to answer most questions. If motor specs are more than that or you are using servo motors with pulse coders I would suggest checking out Gecko's web site. As far as cad software goes, if you are just turning then learn the G code for simple moves as suggested.

If you want to do more complex work such as inlay pocket and parts you will want a CadCam software. Most on here do use Bobcad of some ver. as it is easy to use and not too expensive. You should be able to get a lic. with two seats and training cds for around $500 or so. Be prepared as you can't just expect to load the software and push a few buttons to get good results. This type of work take years to master and you will never stop learning. If your not good on a computer, I would consider panto-graphing. This is still a great way to embellish a cue. Be prepared to work hard and learn allot if you go the CNC route. Its hard to ask questions when you don't know what questions to ask.

If you are interested in Bobcad and don't want phone calls, send me a PM and I will give you a number to call and they will take care of you.

Good luck, Jim.