Where did Hundal hit the cue ball on the eight ball shot?

july9x

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I came across to this video and saw a shot at 26:15

https://youtu.be/Na913QMPFkI?t=26m15s

He explained the shot but I don't know where did he shoot on the cue ball (by guessing I'd say low left???) and why it became running spin when cue ball hit second rail.

Could someone please explain to me what happened?

Thanks guys!

jokers_wild96

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when the cue ball comes off the first rail it still has left spin. so when it hits the second rail it acts as if it has running english because is does have the correct spin as if you were to just shoot it into the second rail with running english. i hope i explained that good enough.

rumerx

Registered
He explained that shot right before execution. Flat left spin, level cue. Short stroke, as long as you get it as running english on the 2nd rail it will work.

Cross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
at about 9:30 at the cue ball. hit it with speed with a longer follow thru

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
This shot is much easier to do on new(ish) cloth and with clean balls.
If you play on worn out cloth and dirty balls then all the spin will take
on the first rail and the shot becomes nearly impossible.

gr. Dave

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depending on which shaft you use, LD or conventional and which tip, layered or non-layered, scientists believe that mass is equivalent to energy and the total mass before and after a given process is exactly the same only if the energy gained or lost in the process is taken into account. The equivalence of mass and energy was deduced from the theory of relativity. The concept is of importance in calculations dealing with fast-moving particles contained in pool balls, may predictably be calculated, but the farther away from point of impact, the greater variance in the widening of angle is seen. In everyday processes the amount of mass redirected by a pool cue tip as energy, however diligent the stroke is to deliver it on a tangent line, regardless butt elevation, side spin, elbow twist, wrist snap and dead matter poke, is insignificant and the law of conservation of mass is still considered to hold true, in regards to one-dimensional inertia, such as the striking of a pool ball.

Last edited:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, he doesn't

Raj says the key is to have a flat spin without top or bottom so that the english will take off the second rail. (he says low or high wont work)

Pat says you need to use low to create an angle so that the cueball is still spinning when it hits the second rail. (he says straight inside wont work)

Fleece3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

poolplaya1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here Pat Fleming says to do almost opposite of what Raj says.
https://youtu.be/MXhnGwL6aBY?t=52

Raj says the key is to have a flat spin without top or bottom so that the english will take off the second rail. (he says low or high wont work)

Pat says you need to use low to create an angle so that the cueball is still spinning when it hits the second rail. (he says straight inside wont work)

So left/center is almost the opposite of left/low? Interesting usage of the word opposite.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

I think the key (as Pat explains) is to get a not-too-steep angle into the first rail (and to hit fairly hard). Raj had the angle with a "flat" hit, but Pat had to hit low to get the angle.

This kind of detail is why it isn't best to just try it until you get it - without knowing why you hit it one way you won't know when to hit it the other way.

pj
chgo

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the key (as Pat explains) is to get a not-too-steep angle into the first rail (and to hit fairly hard). Raj had the angle with a "flat" hit, but Pat had to hit low to get the angle.

This kind of detail is why it isn't best to just try it until you get it - without knowing why you hit it one way you won't know when to hit it the other way.

pj
chgo

Answer me honestly P.J.

Can you perform the shot?

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
Keep in mind that even though low,inside spin is used in both cases here,the fullness of the hit is dramatically different.

On the first example,you really have to hit the ball full and drive the crap out of the spin to get it to work,esp depending on how fast the table is.

In the 2nd example,the only way I've found to get the cue ball to react the way it does when Raj hits it is to aim just slightly rail first. Tommy D.