World Cup of Pool on Apple TV

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just noticed my Apple TV has an ESPN channel on its main menu. This is showing the World Cup of Pool beautifully. It looks like a HD football game. Best quality pool stream I've ever seen. Way better quality than on my Mac, imo. The web browser version is flash based, the Apple TV version is HTML5 based.

Try it if you have it, its very nice:)

Rip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the heads up about Apple TV channel! Excellent quality!

BigDeal52

Don Pearce
Silver Member
Good information. I did it using my IPad but went to the ESPN website logged on and the connected to my Apple TV. Only problem is I couldn't zoom to fil the whole screen of my TV like I can with regular ustream streams. I did not think about trying the ESPN channel on the Apple TV. I guess this will make the image larger I hope. I will try it out next time. Thanks for the tip.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just noticed my Apple TV has an ESPN channel on its main menu. This is showing the World Cup of Pool beautifully. It looks like a HD football game. Best quality pool stream I've ever seen. Way better quality than on my Mac, imo. The web browser version is flash based, the Apple TV version is HTML5 based.

That's how I've been watching it, and I don't have a cable subscription. I've been watching it live and they also have the replays of matches you missed.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can go back. Click on sports>billiards. Then at the top right of the screen will be a live and past events section. Click on past events and all the prior matches are there:)

BigDeal52

Don Pearce
Silver Member
The USA vs Russia match looked awesome on my apple TV. Apple TV is one of my better purchases.

SWRLE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great on AppleTV

Best HD pool I've ever seen. Couldn't connect through the watch ESPN app on an iPhone using the misnamed "Verizon" option. It's really Verizon FIOS not Verizon Wireless you have to have an account with.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't need apple tv, if you have a cable subscription you can watch on ESPN.Com. Go to espn 3 and it will guide you through logging in to espn go. Then the video will load. I am watching it as we speak.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't need apple tv, if you have a cable subscription you can watch on ESPN.Com. Go to espn 3 and it will guide you through logging in to espn go. Then the video will load. I am watching it as we speak.

True. However, on my side, watching it via the Apple TV worked better than ESPN.com. I believe the difference may be because on ESPN.com it's broadcast using Flash technology while on the Apple TV its broadcast using HTML5 technology.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member

Roku same deal! Awesome! :thumbup:

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Explain

That's how I've been watching it, and I don't have a cable subscription. I've been watching it live and they also have the replays of matches you missed.

How are you watching it on AppleTV without being a subscriber to one of the listed companies?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How are you watching it on AppleTV without being a subscriber to one of the listed companies?

I have comcast "internet only" service but no comcast "cable TV" service. (I use rabbit ears). I got the ESPN 3 channel on my Apple TV successfully.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of the AppleTV apps that require a cable subscription allow some things for free, I suppose as a teaser to get you to buy the subscription and get full access.

On the WatchESPN app, I can watch the replays for many events within a few hours after the event ends, but not live. With this World Cup of Pool, even the live event was available.

I'm really hoping they do the same thing with the Mosconi Cup. Live would be great, even if it is early morning in the US.