Huebler weight bolt

youngstownkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was it common for “weight bolts” to be epoxied in back in the day and used as connectors? I’m new at this (so there a ton that will surprise me) of course, but I was surprised to see that this weight bolt was used to join the butt cap to the sleeve. Wasn’t expecting I’d need to use the torch for this cracked butt cap repair job...

So my question is...was the original Huebler work, or a repair done this way?
d4c3a61352ee1a9d20e2195b84455868.jpg

220ef9e806bb18ef92a3eef55c5bde3d.jpg

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was it common for “weight bolts” to be epoxied in back in the day and used as connectors? I’m new at this (so there a ton that will surprise me) of course, but I was surprised to see that this weight bolt was used to join the butt cap to the sleeve. Wasn’t expecting I’d need to use the torch for this cracked butt cap repair job...

So my question is...was the original Huebler work, or a repair done this way?

The way you found and also this way. Double threaded aluminum sleeve that the butt cap screwed on to, combined with the bolt for weight. Both standard for Heubler cues.

IMG_20181014_234155.jpg

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way you found and also this way. Double threaded aluminum sleeve that the butt cap screwed on to, combined with the bolt for weight. Both standard for Heubler cues.

View attachment 502651

Yup. Both ways as we have seen posted here before.

Typically they are epoxied in from what I have seen here.

This is a pic I found that have linked before that shows the arrangement you depicted.

It seems Paul Huebler did not intend for his cue weight to be adjusted by the user.

000_6307.jpg

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup. Both ways as we have seen posted here before.

Typically they are epoxied in from what I have seen here.

This is a pic I found that have linked before that shows the arrangement you depicted.

It seems Paul Huebler did not intend for his cue weight to be adjusted by the user.

000_6307.jpg

Yes Sir.
There's a couple of Cue makers who believe customers shouldn't be adjusting the weight of thier cues. It is what it is.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes Sir.
There's a couple of Cue makers who believe customers shouldn't be adjusting the weight of thier cues. It is what it is.

I spoke to a HOF cue maker about making a cue for me. I talked about the balance point. He said it would be where he puts it and that's all. :thumbup:

Like: "Hey, I dig the balance of this cue, can I change the weight?"

Yeah...I had a few things to learn. :embarrassed2:

youngstownkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's ok with me. I'm not one who stresses if you don't search. Seeing your new. What's your plan to repair this?

I cored a 7” hole, gorilla glued a 8.5” maple dowel, cored/cut/sleeved on the 1.5” butt cap material, which I happened to have just enough of, from when I bought out another cue makers inventory but not sure what the material is called. Then I drilled and tapped for headless weight bolts, and cut a small .6” hole for the bumper. Any different than what you’d have done?

ac1ad90d1bf963efbb83a98c785c85cb.jpg

Last edited:

youngstownkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the ivory colored plastic material called that cut nicely but sort of bubbles if it gets too hot?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the ivory colored plastic material called that cut nicely but sort of bubbles if it gets too hot?

Sounds like ABS. Another good option for butt caps is Delrin. It comes in white, ivory and Black. It doesn't like glue or finish. A lot of Cue makers don't thread them on, they let the weight bolt hold it in place. I like to thread them and cut channels for the epoxy to work as a lock. I use a 3/4x16 thread.

IMG_20180916_210541.jpg

Last edited: