How long to make a new shaft?

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
so even though others have made comments in the past as to specificity with one person or company over another for wood now no one wants to give an answer as to the say the top 3 to 4 to buy wood from? I fully understand that business is built on relationships, when I was still employed and spending a hundred grand a month on parts it brought a lot of favors with it. Now most cue makers are going to spend that much but still one hand helps the other, so if no one wants to so in public send me a pm! I would like to make sure my dollars are going in the right direction even if it is based on opinion!
Thanks

If you read the sticky at the top of the forum....it should answer your question.....

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave,
Thanks for the reminder.
I grew tired of being the enforcer.
:thumbup:
Gary

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am open to PM's for the answer then so that no one becomes OFFENDED by some of the answers and certainly did not mean to offend anyone with the question, but it is no wonder why pool is considered to be in the state it is in. But again pm's are welcome.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
It's not a case of being offended, It's a case of following the rules as established by the Forum owner, If you have issues with that please take it up with him. You Sir are the one that seems to be offended. In case you didn't read Sticky, here is the part I am referring to:
"Supply sources can be asked for, but all replies should be sent in the form of Private Messages. This protects our cuemakers supply sources from the general public. Almost no industry shares their wholesale sources with their customer base. So in fairness to our cuemakers we ask that this type of information be handled through Private Messages."
Thanks,
Dave

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Finding your own source for shafts is half the fun in cue making.
I don't share my source for my maple shafts because my source really does not want to deal with cue makers anymore.
Just imagine how many calls he'd get for 20-piece samples . Or the hundreds of calls just asking him about his woods .
The last time I ordered from him, he had to accommodate me by changing his kiln schedule and cutting set-up.
I ordered a pallet .

For the common source, all you need to do is go to cuemakers.org.
You'll find the number one supplier of maple shafts there.
Same supplier where that infamous conman got his shafts and to this day is still trying to dump his rejects.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Oh, the wonders of shaft wood...........
I disagree Joey...........it's not half the fun, it's 2/3 of the battle! :p
This is the question I'll pose...........why would I after 20 plus years of running down sources and finding a few that I feel good enough about and at times have a hard time supplying myself with enough quality shafts give those sources to anyone else that is in the same profession or for most whittlers, hobby, as myself :confused:

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the question I'll pose...........why would I after 20 plus years of running down sources and finding a few that I feel good enough about and at times have a hard time supplying myself with enough quality shafts give those sources to anyone else that is in the same profession or for most whittlers, hobby, as myself :confused:

Because you like to stab yourself in the thigh?

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lil dave38 you seem to be fixated with someone being offended but I am not, I could really care less if you share, I will in time will search out a good source, I have the tools to discover what I need!! In the mean time I will sit back and enjoy my retirement at a very comfortable level, but just looking for something to do with all my spare time.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gee, I thought the answer to the OP's question, "How long to make a new shaft?" was 29"

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Ron, to directly answer your question ....
CHRIS HIGHTOWER

I must qualify that with the statement that I am not a production cue maker ordering a pallet of wood at a time.
I make a few cues for a local market and usually order a dozen or so shaft dowels at a time.

I have bought wood from Chris in the past and am very pleased with his prices and what he sends.
He is a good honest man in a world of sharks.
Call him and discuss what you need.

so even though others have made comments in the past as to specificity with one person or company over another for wood now no one wants to give an answer as to the say the top 3 to 4 to buy wood from? I fully understand that business is built on relationships, when I was still employed and spending a hundred grand a month on parts it brought a lot of favors with it. Now most cue makers are going to spend that much but still one hand helps the other, so if no one wants to so in public send me a pm! I would like to make sure my dollars are going in the right direction even if it is based on opinion!
Thanks

Last edited:

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lil dave38 you seem to be fixated with someone being offended but I am not, I could really care less if you share, I will in time will search out a good source, I have the tools to discover what I need!! In the mean time I will sit back and enjoy my retirement at a very comfortable level, but just looking for something to do with all my spare time.

If you dont mind a little more colour to your shafts find your local wood dealer and and pick through a lift of 5/4 boards and cut them up your self. There will be guys saying that the wood has to be kiln dried unique for cue's..that the boards have to be quarter sawn... and they may be correct. But at the end of the day if your shafts have nice straight grain and play nice it is one means to an end. And as an added bonus you learn a hell of a lot more than buying pre-turned shafts.

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not a cuemaker, but quite experienced with business practices.

The opposite side of this coin is that if you help your supplier by sending them new business, they will stay in business and which helps keep you supplied.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Not a cuemaker, but quite experienced with business practices.

The opposite side of this coin is that if you help your supplier by sending them new business, they will stay in business and which helps keep you supplied.

Trust me........he's busy and turns people away because he can't supply all of them that he has now.
So how stupid would it be for me to send someone else to him?

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
If you dont mind a little more colour to your shafts find your local wood dealer and and pick through a lift of 5/4 boards and cut them up your self. There will be guys saying that the wood has to be kiln dried unique for cue's..that the boards have to be quarter sawn... and they may be correct. But at the end of the day if your shafts have nice straight grain and play nice it is one means to an end. And as an added bonus you learn a hell of a lot more than buying pre-turned shafts.

I did that once and was surprised how much woods move when they are not dried right.
Got them quarter sawn even.

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did that once and was surprised how much woods move when they are not dried right.
Got them quarter sawn even.

Wouldn't Proper kiln drying be a requirement for any type of woodwork? The only part that I believe makes the cue industry unique is the Lilly white colour requirement. And that, from what I have been told, requires certain drying procedures.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Wouldn't Proper kiln drying be a requirement for any type of woodwork? The only part that I believe makes the cue industry unique is the Lilly white colour requirement. And that, from what I have been told, requires certain drying procedures.

Well, these were kilned and clean white.
I even cross-laminated a few pieces as an experiment and was hoping they'd be good enough for coring dowels.
I had some flat sawn too. They moved as soon as they ran on the jointer.

My shaft source now told me he kilns his boards at 6/4 then takes them down to around 1.1" . That's how I got my pieces from him.
They are not lilly white.

You are lucky though. You're in the right jungle to have unlimited supply of good maple.
I don't believe that fairytale story that Michigan has the best maple. That story was sold by some conman who we knew was getting his maple from Canada.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member

Not every player prefers Lilly white wood.
A lot prefer the honey colored shafts.
And that is a good thing ... if we all preferred the same thing then we would only need one cue maker.
Some of shafts I thought were the best I ever made were from old gym floor boards and had that nice honey color. (old school)

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KEVOKA, so far you have had the most intelligent answer of all the posters in this thread congrats for you business acumen! Your and the one PM I have received are the only comments that would contribute to a healthy continuance of an intelligent exchange and dissemination of info! While all the other grates here run people off there becomes a smaller exchange of useful information and the sport and industry suffers and continues to wallow in the murky underbelly of a true sporting environment BRAVO!