Simonis 860 vs. 760

14oneman

Straight, no chaser!
Silver Member
What do you all prefer between the two, and what game do play that influences that decision?

What characteristics do you like/dislike about each?

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I own a pool hall in Lakewood, WA and I have both on my tables.

I preffer the 760 for all games, I think the speed makes you focus on your stroke a little more.

It takes good player to adjust to the speed, quickly which always gives you a house advantage.:D

Manwon

Last edited:

Hal2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
860 vs 760

I enjoy playing on the faster 760 cloth for straight pool, the same as rukid. However the 860 cloth is universaly used for many of the torneys. This means that when you play outside of your envriement, you must make two adjustments; one for the cloth/speed and one for a different table.
For that reason I select 860 each time I recover my table.
Regards,
Hal

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer 860 for all games, although I will admit the balls open easier in straight pool on 760. I would agree, though, that it's tougher for some players to adjust to the added speed of 760, and that can be an advantage to those who are comfortable with kill shots and multiple rail position.

If you want a real challenge sometime, try playing pool on Simonis 300 (billiard cloth). Yikes, it's fast!

Hal2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want a real challenge sometime, try playing pool on Simonis 300 (billiard cloth). Yikes, it's fast![/QUOTE]

Ted, I know exactly what you mean with the Simnois 300. I played on a billiard table in Detroit with the 300 and it was very fast (too fast) unless you are going 4 or 5rails.

Hal

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I lived in NYC, Chelsea Billiards set up a table to Johnny Ervolino's desire. It had Simonis 300 cloth with pockets that were about 3.5". I'd try to play him on it and it would make me pull my hair out (and I don't have a lot to spare!). I hated it!

But Johnny could actually play on it. George Mikula and I once watched Johnny run 100 on that table. George was a monster straight pool player and he said it was the greatest exhibition he'd ever seen. I agreed.

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
I've only played on CHampionship and 860, which I've always thought was fast enough if you have good rails on the tables.

I'd like to try out a 9ft with 760 or 300 cloth. Just to see how it would go.

How much of a price difference is there between 760 and 860?

And does the 760 wear out faster than the 860? I have a friend who wants to refelt his 8ft table and we are looking for some cloth.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never heard of anybody or anywhere they have 760.

But if you want a gage as to how fast it plays, watch Byrne's Standard Tape of Pool and billiards. The action he gets on the cue ball, with him playing on 760 is unfrigging' real.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The older I get, the more I like slow cloth. why?, because on slow cloth you need to have a stroke to get around. Nothing worse than seeing a new player hit a shot 1/2 tip below center, and draw it 3 feet, and instantly think He's "Grady friggin Seasons".:cool:

Sorry, I've been waiting 20 years to use that rant!:D....since I turned 40 this year, I qualify!

Gerry

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
Gregg said:
Never heard of anybody or anywhere they have 760.

But if you want a gage as to how fast it plays, watch Byrne's Standard Tape of Pool and billiards. The action he gets on the cue ball, with him playing on 760 is unfrigging' real.

Our intire hall consists of the big G with 760, and extreme rails. FRICKIN BALLS COME OFF THE RAIL AND GO FOR EVER!! It reminds me of the bumpers in pinball. LOL
:eek:

BillyKoda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
manwon said:
I own a pool hall in Lakewood, WA and I have both on my tables.

I preffer the 760 for all games, I think the speed makes you focus on your stroke a little more.

It takes good player to adjust to the speed, quickly which always gives you a house advantage.:D

Manwon

Manwon, which cloth lasts longer? I'm looking to speed up our American Legion table but I want some durability too.

Thanks,

BK

14oneman

Straight, no chaser!
Silver Member
760 should last longer, as it has a blend that contains slightly less wool than 860 does. This also makes it faster.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Go With Tour Edition

BillyKoda said:
Manwon, which cloth lasts longer? I'm looking to speed up our American Legion table but I want some durability too.

Thanks,

BK

I recommend that you go with Championship Tour Edition. Slightly faster than 860 and wears much, much better. I had a new table with Tour Edition and had it re-clothed with 860....and now I regret not going with the Tour Edition again... Practically every jump shot leaves a small nick/tear in the 860...but the Tour Edition holds-up great when practicing masses and jumps...

pbat2751

PROG8R said:
Our intire hall consists of the big G with 760, and extreme rails. FRICKIN BALLS COME OFF THE RAIL AND GO FOR EVER!! It reminds me of the bumpers in pinball. LOL
:eek:

What are these extreme rails?

I know a room full of Big G's that could use good rails:rolleyes:

cheemagun

gettin there...
Silver Member
pbat2751 said:
What are these extreme rails?

I know a room full of Big G's that could use good rails:rolleyes:

I dont think that means that the rails are good..

ther is a table around my area that if i hit a ball that would be under hit on a normal table on this table if it touches the cushion it would be way over hit.. the cloth is pretty much normal but if it just touch the cushion it would fly. I dont see how that can be a good thing. it messes me up bad. :mad: