How to play from here?

D Player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All,

I am a very new 14.1 player and I have recently encountered a couple of situations in my weekly league match where I wasn't sure what to do.

The first layout shows a situation where I have seen players play a safety by hitting the top of the stack, driving a ball to the rail to avoid the foul and sticking to the top balls limiting their opponents options. My question is how do you hit this safety properly (tip position on CB, contact point on OB, and speed)? Also, what are the boundaries for the initial CB position within which this shot is feasible?

I was left with the second layout after my opponent pocketed the last ball with a safety. What is the best response from position A? How about from position B?

CueTable Help

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeff

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
IMO, the most important thing to keep in mind is you have to do something that will prevent your opponent from simply rolling you up back into the same position you are stuck in now.

This means in lots of cases taking an intentional scratch is not the worst thing in the world to do.

Rolling one rail behind the rack gently is a way to open balls, take your scratch if nothing goes to a rail and at the same time prevent your opponent from placing you back up table since balls will be open.

With a full rack and the cue ball dead center on the table there are two options I like. Rolling the cue ball to the long rail just past the side pocket applying whatever slight english you need to hold the cue ball behind the rack and as close to on the balls as possible.

Second, and the one I would not be afraid to try (keeping in mind a scratch is ok and don't sell out a shot) simply gently roll your cue ball dead center to the head ball in the rack if you feel you can accomplish this accurately enough not to roll off. Remember, a ball doesn't have to touch the rail. The scratch is ok and the idea is to free at least a touch of a ball so if you do go upstream again, you have better options.

Playing a safe with the head ball missing after a re-rack is again rolling the cue ball in a manner that it doesn't glance off one of the top balls and into the other. That would open the rack.

Those shots are "feel" shots more than explained shots that you have to practice. Also, and very important, if you know you are going to attempt one of these type safeties, check the rack for all balls kissing and don't be afraid to bring a bad rack to the attention of the racker. Going in on one of these kinds of safes with a "moosh" rack is suicide. :)

D Player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3andstop,

Thanks for the advice!

I actually was faced with one of these shots last night -- a full rack with the cue ball on the head rail near a corner pocket. I was able to go one rail into the back of the stack, stick the cue ball, and drive another ball to the rail. The outcome was infinitely better than what I had been trying which was skimming the stack and trying to bring the CB back to the head rail.

I will definitely set up a few of these shots next practice session -- the two-railer into the back of the stack and the rolling safety into the top of the stack when the head ball is missing for sure. It's nice to know that you should only hit ONE of the top two balls in this shot. I have been playing this wrong and have had mixed results.

Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Thanks,
Jeff