Collecting and/or upgrading

Blue11

Registered
Hey guys, so per my previous post, I've recently got back into playing the game.
With that, I've moved on from my previous player, a Lucasi which I got back in 2002, to a Jacoby 4-point with veneers and a Hybrid Edge shaft. I got this cue in a deal along with a break cue, a Brunswick labelled It's George 2X4 case, and a Predator LE-VII butt (I've since got a matching gen 1 pre-cat shaft).
The Jacoby and Predator are cues I never thought I'd ever own, but have been fortunate enough to acquire. Still, I find myself wanting additional cues (Schon, Mezz, a custom like Carmeli or Nitti). Side note, I had the rare opportunity and met Ariel Carmeli in person; and had a tip change done by him. what a great guy.
To those out there with multiple cues, was it a propensity for collecting that got you into collecting cues? Or was it more wanting to play with something different but not wanting to let go of the previous playing cue, or is it both?
For myself, I know it's more of collecting rather than wanting an upgrade. It's hard for me to tell what's an upgrade between a Mezz and Schon simply because I'm not skilled enough to quantify the differences. I have shot with both, albeit briefly, and can tell there is a difference, but it's hard for me to quantify or even attempt to explain. Simply put, I like both, and want both. I know I won't play with both of them each time I go out and play, but want to have the option. I know this may be a detriment to improving my game since i wouldn't have a dedicated player.
What was it for you that made you want more than 1 playing cue? I'm interested to know how many other are out there with th collecting bug.

( sorry if I was rambling a bit there)

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Kinda like cars. Buy a Corvette, you want to try a Porsche. Then you begin thinking about a Ferrari. :wink:

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The feel of a stick is often mistaken for the weight adjustment in the butt and shaft taper. Next you can factor in tip diameter, deflection, yada yada yada. If a stick has a nice long channel for weight bolts and the same taper on the shaft, you can pretty much make any stick feel like the other... but... is your choice in style and taste hindering you?

What is the cup of a carpenter?*

Have a friend put a bunch of sticks on the table with various traits while your eyes are closed. With your eyes remaining closed, pick each stick up and find which feels the most like a needle. Now without contest you've found what your body perceives to be the most accurate. I think you'll be surprised (Make sure you mix in a couple house cues as those come generally with evenly distributed weight).

*Indiana Jones reference (from the Last Crusade).

Last edited:

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
I have a propensity for collecting; always have. Also, for whatever reason, certain cues feel "right" at different times. I'm not a complete slouch on the table, a low B player (I'm a 7 APA). But, I'm also inconsistent enough that my stroke does change. So, different cues feel better at different times. I like choices.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
For me, different playing cues are a way to learn more about the industry, the technology and the history of the game. Pool is a hobby I enjoy, and it sparks a lot of different opinions from a lot of people. I like to investigate all the different opinions and see which are valid to me.

I was also lucky enough to meet some players who love cues. I was able to learn from them, and then started investigating on my own. Most people I meet do not even know what a custom cue is. Now I have a hard time considering a higher end production when for the same cost I could get a nice custom .