Whos instructional videos do you like?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Since this is thread is alive again, I found Jim Rempe's "How to Run a Rack of Straight Pool" and "How to Run 100", both available from Accu-Stats, to be very informative. Plus, Jim's got that kind of accent and delivery where you can just listen to him for a few hours and not get tired of it.

He did a player review tape with Pat Fleming too with, I think, about an 80 ball run in it from the 2000 US Open.

I agree. Those videos are worth a watch.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Yep

He was just doing a little trolling complete with wink icon so he could walk it back easily. Some truth to competitors making poor instructors, especially while still competing. Different skill sets are needed and comparatively few people have both of these skill sets. The drive that makes a great competitor leads you to want to strangle a student after you have explained something to them seventeen times and demonstrated it to them fourteen times and they still don't get it! Some can turn their drive down or off and teach, many can't, especially can't until they get older.

A chuckle about the best instructor in any field I have ever worked with: After he had explained something to one person three or four different ways and they still didn't get it while the rest of the classes' eyes were starting to glaze he just said, "Magic!" He was done explaining.

Hu

I hear what your saying, I have had some students that I truly wanted to club over the melon. What I learned is - when they ask about wanting a pool lesson - I then ask them WHY they are interested in playing better. The answer I receive will give me a much better idea - as to how much they love the game - and also how much I will charge them.:) If the student truly desires to learn - I will know before the lesson begins. Also I learned to NEVER offer free advice - unless the student asks the question first, As they may not know my list of accomplishments in the sport (ego contest). If a player truly is 'all in' some talent can be taught, it is my belief that I can teach anyone to run 100 in 14.1 - if they are all in and truly love the learning process i.e. practice. A great instructor will be able to 'point the way' in relation to physics and geometry of the game. A great player and teacher will be able to help the student learn skills of the mental side of competition as well. But yea I have learned to correct the cause before I begin to correct the symptom - saves much headache, as many yahoo's just want to be able to best their local bar hero - for those the answer is $500.00 per hr - and if they say too much denaro I will now just say 'it's magic'. so it is such a small percentage of players who will pass my answer test - I end up not giving many lessons. Some great resources that helped me are 1) Buddy Hall's (clock system) 2) Mike Sigel's (Perfect straight pool) and other top players who looked very smooth at the table - I would also recommend Max Eberle's instructional dvd's as a welling study.

Last edited:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Wilsons clinic from derby on youtube is very informative. Packed with lots of information comparing and contrasting amateurs vs pros.

Last edited:

Jimmy_Betmore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Sigel's perfect pool. The first DVD is up on youtube. lots of great info geared to the complete beginner. This is the best dvd on fundamentals ive seen.

Amen to that. The straight pool info alone kicked up my overall skills by at least a couple of balls way back in the mid 90's. Those videos taught me so much more than the guys in the room I was playing in could have.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the 3C world, Frederic Caudron has posted a number of videos on YouTube in the last couple of months and a fair number of them are in English. At the top level, 3c is all about the mental game, and these videos show a master discussing shot selection and position play, the mental game. I don't think there has ever been anything like this in English, ever. There is also some good stuff on systems he plays.

Here is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlpMZFNsrYQ&t=2821s