Thoughts on Lucasi Hybrid and other mid range cues?

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I really want to try out the hybrid slim shaft. I had the other version, with the much stiffer taper on it, but I really loved it surprisingly. Amazing hitting shaft in my opinion. It blows away all of the other shafts on the market. All except for the pre cat 314, but those are no longer made, and I still think I prefer the lucasi hybrid.

The hybrid slim is one of the stiffest playing tapers I've used. It's like a Schuler pro taper. Coke bottle. I can see why Thorsten likes it. Great for 14.1. There is NO LD shaft that even compares to it, in regards to how it feels.

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
last i knew, Thorsten does not use the slim, he uses the regular hybrid turned down to 12.2-12.4 (depending on whether you believe him, or the people at Cue & Case).

denzilla171

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing with a Lucas Hybrid now for a couple of years. I chose it because its a reasonably priced LD shaft with an (almost) normal sized tip. Also I do prefer the rubber grip to either cloth or naked.

Did some side by side testing for deflection with a friend who is a "shaft-a-holic" and the 12.75 Lucasi deflects a similar amount to a Predator 314, although doing a true comparison was a bit tricky due to the different tip diameter. I don't remember which version of the 314 it was, but it was definitely closer to that than the 'Z2,' Vantage, or Tiger.

Had an issue with the weight bolt coming loose and making noise, but just popped the rubber bumper off and tightened it up with a hex wrench. No problems since.

CokerFan82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can't go wrong with a $180 Cuetec R360 for a knock-around cue. If my friends want to join in or I go to a bar, I take the Cuetec.. which stays in the truck and breaks/plays pretty sporty! I had my shaft turned down to 11.75 and it helped it feel more like my main player.

The hybrid slim is one of the stiffest playing tapers I've used. It's like a Schuler pro taper. Coke bottle. I can see why Thorsten likes it. Great for 14.1. There is NO LD shaft that even compares to it, in regards to how it feels.

I did not know that the Slim version has a stiff taper. I wonder why they call it a Slim, if it is not actually slim. I did not think the one I was using was the Slim version, because it had a very stiff taper on it. I just imagined that the Slim version would have a long slim taper. I really loved the Lucasi Hybrid shaft though. I really regret letting it go now (on a trade).

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Go on man, get yerself a brace of McDermott Cues.
The G2xx's are especially fetching and are reasonably priced for what you are getting... an incredibly good hitting cue. Schmelke makes a fine cue too and to your specification.

Lesh

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I did not know that the Slim version has a stiff taper. I wonder why they call it a Slim, if it is not actually slim. I did not think the one I was using was the Slim version, because it had a very stiff taper on it. I just imagined that the Slim version would have a long slim taper. I really loved the Lucasi Hybrid shaft though. I really regret letting it go now (on a trade).

Slim refers to the smaller tip.

My 3C cue is 12mm. It's stiffer than any pool cue out there.

Snooker cues are 9-10mm. Stiff.

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

By stiff taper, I'm relatively sure he means the flex. I also have the slim and it is an 11.75mm tip but a STANDARD taper... a rare bird these days.

What does that mean? It means it's not a conical (or compound conical) taper but it's not a true pro taper either. Modern players would call it a 'short pro' taper. That is, it's the same diameter for about the first 7-8 inches before the taper increases. That is how most American cues used to be (aside from house cues which were conical) until people started to prefer the longer 'pro taper' which maintained constant diameter for the first 10-12 inches, nowadays up to 15 inches.

Yes it does hit very well and as long as you don't have a long closed bridge you don't mind that the 'pro taper' section is shorter than usual. It is relatively low deflection but for me it transfers energy just a bit too well to really dance the CB around in close without going with a very soft tip, which brings its own inconsistencies. But it is nice to be able to go under 12mm without dealing with a conical taper and only a few shafts offer that.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am with Lesh,G-core McDermott.
Reasonable priced and a warranty.
Not true "low deflection" but darn good.