help with leather wrap

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Actually I told him straight up that I refused to do it because of the fact that I had never done one and I didn't know how to do them other than what I had seen in videos. He didn't care and said well practice on mine I don't care. I still refused. He ended up being and begging until I finally gave in. As a side note, I did the wrap. Took me a couple practices till I was comfortable enough to do his. For my first I'm really impressed. For the most part, you couldn't see the seam at all. There were a couple flaws in my job but nothing anyone else would have noticed. There was one part of the seem I wasn't happy with so I filed it with black epoxy I made with die then sanded it. All in all I was really happy with the job. He was e ecstatic with it. Loves it. Couldn't be happier. Even when I tried to show him the mistake he couldn't see it.

I'm actually happy this happened. Not so afraid of leather wraps. They are way easier than I thought. I really need to thank one cue maker that helped me a lot over the phone. I don't know if he wants me saying his name or not but he knows who he is, and thank you so much. I'll send the pick of the fixture I made as soon as I can.

This is great. I am glad it worked out for you.

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry it took so long to get back to you all. Here is the wrap finished as it went out to customer. Not bad for first try if you ask me. 20140208_160052.jpg20140208_160041.jpg

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And this is the fixture I made. Worked flawlessly. 20140208_130317.jpg20140208_130326.jpg20140208_130334.jpg20140208_130413.jpg Basically you slide the cue through, then the gates with the v notch move up and down in channels. Then there are wedges of wood that holds the gates up and won't let them loosen back up. Then you can remove both plates on top to cut your wrap.

carguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well done!

Good job. Great can-do spirit! Continue to ignore nay-sayers.
The world needs more of this.

Robin Snyder

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Got to admit, you got `er done.
Good effort, good innovation.
Good Luck, KJ

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Now that your not under the gun, and have time for the post office to do their thing, I have a spare template I'm not using. It's make the end cuts easier. pm me your address and I'll send it to ya.
Dave

tlayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More support less nagging.....

Now that your not under the gun, and have time for the post office to do their thing, I have a spare template I'm not using. It's make the end cuts easier. pm me your address and I'll send it to ya.
Dave

I think this is really cool :)
Way to go Dave.

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually Darren Hill posted that design way back in 2010.
See here, starting at post #12:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=105742
The modification to use wedges instead of a spring to hold the cue up is a new twist, however.

I made one of Darren's and it works very well.
Gary

I had researched a lot before deciding to make one. Although i have no idea if i had seen darrens or not, honestly i have no idea. I may have. Id have to see it to tell you. I just made a box wth gates and a place to bolt the plates. Not really rocket science. From everything i read you have to imobilize the stick. So i did. Im guessing there arent too many ways to do it.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
......................................................................................................................
"From everything i read you have to imobilize the stick. So i did. Im guessing there arent too many ways to do it."
......................................................................................................................

I don't know - did you try shooting it with a tranquilizer dart?

Dale

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"From everything i read you have to imobilize the stick. So i did. Im guessing there arent too many ways to do it."

I don't know - did you try shooting it with a tranquilizer dart?

Dale

Ironically, no I did not. So now we know of two ways.