Imminent worldwide availability: video of John's record-breaking 626 w/ player review

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes.

I'll also say that if it turns out to be an edited video my interest level drops considerably.

Lou Figueroa
Of course it will be an edited video -- that's only common sense.

John has said in several interviews that when 526/527 was imminent he deliberately walked away from the table for a few minutes to gather himself. And no doubt there were other short breaks or minor interruptions in the action, all of which would and should be edited out for continuity.

But possibly you mean editing for other reasons that some wary folks would perceive as suspicious or questionable? I myself don't in the least doubt anything about John's integrity about the feat or John's integrity as a person.

Arnaldo.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the arguably odd decisions and the delay in the release of the video are all attributable to John's understandable desire to earn money from this feat that is even a little bit proportional to its significance and the work that went into it.

The problem with that is that any amount of money that would fit that description is simply a lot more than the actual market will support. So he's trying any angle he can figure out to achieve the impossible, earnings-wise, and it's a shame because I think he deserves a lot more than I think he's actually gonna end up with.

This is the equivalent of a Guinness World Record, do those people get rich? If all goes well, John should come out of this a thousandaire.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool videos can be quite boring even when
you are an enthusiast.
Commentary can absolutely ruin watching
a video or tournament stream.
John is one of the very few I can stand to
listen to.
He is well spoken. His 366 video on Dennis Walsh's
youtube is one of my favorite videos to watch.
I dont mind if its edited. I don't mind if it is or
isn't "legitimate".
The draw for me is watching the daily struggle
of a man trying to find his best game and this video
being the culmination of all that work.
I'm sure almost every straight pool player since
Mosconi's run has thought about one day getting there for themselves. Not to say they are better than him or
break some kind of silly arbitrary record but, as a goal
so far out there it seems impossible.
I doubt he will make even enough to cover the costs
of production and his time. The market for something
like this is sooo small. I don't think money was ever
really his intention with this run.
Count me in as one who will purchase it
and enjoy rewatching for many years to come.

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the equivalent of a Guinness World Record, do those people get rich? If all goes well, John should come out of this a thousandaire.

I tend to agree with you about the interest of this to the general public at this time - about equal to a Guinness World Record. When Mosconi set his record it had far more significance because straight pool was still a relatively popular game. Sadly, today that just isn't the case.

I'm thinking that the market is just too limited for a PPV or DVD of the run to be very profitable in any case. Given that mostly it will be only hard-core straight pool aficionados that will actually spend money to see this he probably wouldn't have had many fewer buys had he made the raw video available within a week or two of the actual event.

Leveraging the record breaking run to sell lessons or pool related products through exhibitions, sponsorships, etc, may have been a more profitable enterprise, but it seems that the time to begin promotion of that would have been very shortly after the news broke.

I'm in no way trying to denigrate John's accomplishment here. Historically it is a very big deal, and the skill and perseverance required to achieve it are tremendous. But realistically it's still just a big splash in a small pond.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i saw him run a bunch before
to be honest i could not tell anything about pattern
he seems to shoot anything he sees into the hole

i really learned nothing except he shoots so straight

he can cut the thinnest shots
wham and pop pop pop

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't for the life of me figure out why every bar/pool hall with multiple tv's doesn't have a library of pool videos and have at least one playing on one TV all the time. This one should be part of the scenario for every hall that does.... JMNSHO

td

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't for the life of me figure out why every bar/pool hall with multiple tv's doesn't have a library of pool videos and have at least one playing on one TV all the time. This one should be part of the scenario for every hall that does.... JMNSHO

td

I've been to a few places that do what you suggest. Your correct, it 8s an excellent idea and should be a must-do for a room that has enough interest to make it worth the expense.

Jeff

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I know quite a bit about what I have done for a living for the past 35 years and most people I meet don't know much at all about it. What I do is NOT sports promotion, marketing or sports management in any way.

I'm guessing most of us are just assuming that faster would have been better but we really aren't basing that on any real knowledge or experience. I think it's just as likely that those involved know what they are doing and while it may not make John a wealthy man the more measured approach with the long game in mind may be the best strategy. To put out a poorly produced version and try to slap together a bunch of half assed exhibitions right after might seem like the way to go but I'm not so sure the more I think about it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I plan to rent it and buy a dvd. I have rarely played 14:1 but it is what I played mid to late 70’s when I wanted someone to think I knew more about pool than I did. Otherwise it was 8 ball. But I still recognize it as the great feat that it is.

My hope is that someday my grandson tells his grandson, “I’m not sure what this dvd is, but apparently your great great grandpa thought it was pretty cool. Watch it and let me know what it’s about. “. Then after he watches it he says, “Holy shit! That’s the famous 626!”

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know quite a bit about what I have done for a living for the past 35 years and most people I meet don't know much at all about it. What I do is NOT sports promotion, marketing or sports management in any way.

I'm guessing most of us are just assuming that faster would have been better but we really aren't basing that on any real knowledge or experience. I think it's just as likely that those involved know what they are doing and while it may not make John a wealthy man the more measured approach with the long game in mind may be the best strategy. To put out a poorly produced version and try to slap together a bunch of half assed exhibitions right after might seem like the way to go but I'm not so sure the more I think about it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I agree, it's one of those "you get one shot" things and rushing into it would not have been the best thing to do.

As you pointed out, unless a person specifically does it for a living and is very successful, well, they probably shouldn't advise on what should be done with something as monumental as John's run.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I plan to rent it and buy a dvd. I have rarely played 14:1 but it is what I played mid to late 70’s when I wanted someone to think I knew more about pool than I did. Otherwise it was 8 ball. But I still recognize it as the great feat that it is.

My hope is that someday my grandson tells his grandson, “I’m not sure what this dvd is, but apparently your great great grandpa thought it was pretty cool. Watch it and let me know what it’s about. “. Then after he watches it he says, “Holy shit! That’s the famous 626!”

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Same here...lol.

I'll pay for a ppv and then buy the DVD just so I'll be able to pass it on because it may very well be worth something 65 years from now.

Just imagine what a "video" of Willie running the 526 balls would be worth today.

What do you think a vid of Willie's run would fetch at auction?

Jeff