TCOM Trivia - Casting Forest

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you've seen the movie, you'll probably remember the face of Forest Whitaker (the hustler), who has since gone on to appear in many more movie roles.

250px-ForestWhitaker.jpg

But back in 84'-85' when The Color of Money was being filmed, Forest was still a newbie in the industry, and certainly was not known for his pool playing skills. So how did he end up in the movie?

While preparing for filming, just outside of Chicago at the Illinois Billiard Club Scorsese was holding auditions for various roles, when it came time to audition for the part of 'the aloof hustler'...

All the actor had to do was shoot a few balls around on one of the tables, and repeat a few lines from the script.

Surprisingly enough, Scorsese fully expected the known one-pocket shooter BUGS RUCKER to be the man for the job...

BugsJoiner-015_000.gif

Bugs is on the left. Image courtesy: OnePocket . org

...but as it turns out, Bugs had serious issues with remembering his lines. Small, short lines. So they brought in Forest to give him a shot at it.

Jim Parker, the proprietor of the Illinois Billiard Club, who was there to assist with the auditions, recalls what happened next:

" ....We were in the next room, warming up (shooting balls) on one of our tables when Forest said to me: 'Mr. Parker, if there is anything you can do to help me get this role, I'd really appreciate it..'

Well, said Mr. Parker, I don't really know Martin personally, so I don't think my opinion is going to matter much to him, but, if it makes you feel any better, the other guy can't remember his lines, so I think you're in.. "

The table that the auditions were held on, which is the very table that launched Forest Whitaker's career, is still there to this day, playing as good as the day it was born...

This 4000lb monster is a convertable 10footer, made in the 19teens, almost entirely of steel, that was hand painted to look like wood. Ball return tracks run along the outside of the table under the rail. Its a beauty.

KeefeHamerTable-370x269.jpg