Cue Sports International

wwjdwithca

Registered
I've watch quite a few of their presentations of events online, and it has driven me to ask many times, "Who are these guys?" So not only did it drive me to research who the announcers were, but also who CSI was? I'm not sure I have an answer on the second part; are they a sanctioning body leagues and tournaments? Is that their lot in life, and why do they make the recordings, to promote the sport?

The recordings are very odd to in that they have a professional HD camera and announcers (some broadcasts have no announcers), but sometimes they only have a single camera (even on the main table), and the announcers are sometimes less than professional; eating, getting mic'd after the camera starts rolling, making less than stellar observations, etc that you'd never see on an similar ESPN broadcast.

Anybody give me any insight?

Txstang1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pool has no professional coverage, so you have people with no experience doing their best to make a broadcast happen. at least that's what i think. if it wasn't for that, there would be no coverage

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
I've watch quite a few of their presentations of events online, and it has driven me to ask many times, "Who are these guys?" So not only did it drive me to research who the announcers were, but also who CSI was? I'm not sure I have an answer on the second part; are they a sanctioning body leagues and tournaments? Is that their lot in life, and why do they make the recordings, to promote the sport?

The recordings are very odd to in that they have a professional HD camera and announcers (some broadcasts have no announcers), but sometimes they only have a single camera (even on the main table), and the announcers are sometimes less than professional; eating, getting mic'd after the camera starts rolling, making less than stellar observations, etc that you'd never see on an similar ESPN broadcast.

You must be new around here. That's not a bad thing it good to have you around now. CSI are probably the biggest Pool promoters in the USA. Owned by Mr Mark Griffin who is a regular poster on here. Managed by CSI Ozzy who also posts on there forums. They have their fingers in a whole bunch of pies in the pool world. The also own the BCA Pool Leagues and put on a number of Pro events. They are good people.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

CSI is the "pool players" ESPN or Matchroom. Along with TAR when they were in business, they put on the best matches. ESPN and Matchroom hires the guys that say nice scripted things about the players and how they are playing. CSI and TAR has commentators that are out there hustling and playing everyone from bars to the US Open and know the ins and outs of many back room dealings and match-ups and talk about it like you and I were there chatting over drinks.

CSI puts on tournaments and runs the BCAPL and USAPL leagues, they also absorbed TAR (kinda sorta in a way).

Myself, I like the CSI stuff better than 90% of what I have seen on ESPN.

They are also not above coming on the forums and explaining what they do and how/why for the most part as well, including responding to accusations by competing leagues and people that just don't like them for one reason or another. If you make a stupid comment or go on some half truth and say CSI is doing something unfair or shady, you are likely to hear about it, where others just ignore things. Say Dragon Promo. Don't think once they responded to any criticism about their events aside from posting some more promotional posters of something they are doing.

Last edited:

CSI - Ozzy

Banned
Interesting

Well, the title of this thread certainly grabbed my attention.

CueSports International is the parent company of the BCA Pool League (BCAPL), USA Pool League (USAPL), and many open events such as the US Open 10-Ball, US Open 8-Ball, US Open One Pocket, US Bar Table Championships, CSI Invitationals, Jay Swanson Memorial 9-Ball, and a few more. CSI is part owner of The American Billiard Club and it's flagship game of American Rotation, Six Pocket, and is the exclusive North American distributor of the Magic Ball Rack.

For more information on who were are and what we do, visit our website at www.playcsipool.com. Thanks.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You need more than insight.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CSI is the "pool players" ESPN or Matchroom...

Excellent post hang-the-9. I agree with every word.

To the OP, if you are new to streaming, the TAR matches are the best combination of pool playing (excellent) and commentary (excellent). Start with TAR1 (Shane v Corey). Listening to Billy and Grady comment on that match is gold. Accu-Stats are also great, but TAR is a better value and you can download the matches immediately after paying.

Also, you mentioned a single camera like it's a bad thing. To me, a serious pool player LOVES single camera matches. That way you see every shot, and can test your position ideas against what the pro does. In multi-camera matches, the camera operators have spent so much time and sweat setting up cameras that they just can't help themselves but to show close up after close up after close up of the players. Or they think they are helping by switching camera angles 5 times between shots. Ugh. KISS principle please.

-Jeff