1985 valley slate

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a valley table made in 1985, I am in the
Process of cleaning a crazy amount of glue off the slate. My question is which side is supposed to be up?

The side that has been used has grooves on it. The bottom as used is smooth with a stenciled date of 1-11-77.

Did the slate get flipped over and the wrong side has been used all these years?

Thanks in advance.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
I bought a valley table made in 1985, I am in the
Process of cleaning a crazy amount of glue off the slate. My question is which side is supposed to be up?

The side that has been used has grooves on it. The bottom as used is smooth with a stenciled date of 1-11-77.

Did the slate get flipped over and the wrong side has been used all these years?

Thanks in advance.

The grooves typically indicate a machine finish. That said, grooves up.

Also, there should be a radius in the pocket area of the top side, whereas the bottom side will have a sharp edge.

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing surface.

Thanks for the reply. I have a ton of glue to remove. I
Posted pics on FB. Open billiard market info/discussion.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply. I have a ton of glue to remove. I
Posted pics on FB. Open billiard market info/discussion.

I bought an old Valley to have a 7 foot table at home too to practice on, I spent hours getting all of the old glue off of it.
There must be a lot of self proclaimed "table mechanics" out there who are nothing less than complete hacks. I always look at the tables I am playing on to see how good of a job the "installer" did while recovering the table, between loose cloth, wrinkled rails, and the cloth coming loose around the pockets I cant say I have seen many if any good local recovers. Thats how I learned thee is nobody local who I want working on my table.

Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought an old Valley to have a 7 foot table at home too to practice on, I spent hours getting all of the old glue off of it.
There must be a lot of self proclaimed "table mechanics" out there who are nothing less than complete hacks. I always look at the tables I am playing on to see how good of a job the "installer" did while recovering the table, between loose cloth, wrinkled rails, and the cloth coming loose around the pockets I cant say I have seen many if any good local recovers. Thats how I learned thee is nobody local who I want working on my table.

I have come to the same conclusion. I have also concluded that the typical pool table owner in my area is really not that interested in a good playing table, so therefore the standards for the installers are very low. I once had an installer ask if I wanted my table leveled? I thought he was joking, but come to find out, he really wasn't. I suppose there are many folks out there that are perfectly satisfied with just a nice looking pool table and could care less how it plays. Needless to say, I told the installer to get the table as level as he could, and he did a pretty good job in leveling the table, but just the fact that he seriously ask me that question spoke volumes.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have come to the same conclusion. I have also concluded that the typical pool table owner in my area is really not that interested in a good playing table, so therefore the standards for the installers are very low. I once had an installer ask if I wanted my table leveled? I thought he was joking, but come to find out, he really wasn't. I suppose there are many folks out there that are perfectly satisfied with just a nice looking pool table and could care less how it plays. Needless to say, I told the installer to get the table as level as he could, and he did a pretty good job in leveling the table, but just the fact that he seriously ask me that question spoke volumes.

In actuality it probably wasn’t the installer he makes money on the deal. That’s his job. Some painters will ask if you want the walls premiered first. Like how long will you live here? Do you wants full coverage job or would you rather just have me put the color on you picked? The installer or mechanic will do a side order job based on what the owner wants. And that is determined by the players. If he is making money on that table then he will put that minimal cost in to the business. If his players are slouches then you get that type of question. It’s all about the player. Shit in = shit out.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

realkingcobra

Silver Member
In actuality it probably wasn’t the installer he makes money on the deal. That’s his job. Some painters will ask if you want the walls premiered first. Like how long will you live here? Do you wants full coverage job or would you rather just have me put the color on you picked? The installer or mechanic will do a side order job based on what the owner wants. And that is determined by the players. If he is making money on that table then he will put that minimal cost in to the business. If his players are slouches then you get that type of question. It’s all about the player. Shit in = shit out.

If you don't know how to recover a pool table correctly, no amount of pay or request for a Professional job is going to make a difference, I've never known a pool table mechanic to ask the customer if they want the table leveled.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Well Mr. greasy handsome Jane “personally” watched mechanics (if you call them that) cut the cloth off a table right to the slate line and then staple cloth right on top of the other cloth so if you have not witnessed things like this then all I can say is you are not out enough. I can tell you the date and place. I can also say “nobody’ said a thing. I sipped my beer and watched.

I've picked up Diamond Professional pool tables out of Fox & Hounds and moved them to other locations only to find 5 different colors of cloth still stapled to the slate backer boards and the bottoms of the rails, so have I missed out on something??

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Yeah, guys leaving rows of staples behind for others is fairly common even in the stix! I dont think he knows who the RKC is. He will learn.
Happy New Year to all of you!!

Trent from Toledo