How to Work on Your Pool Game During COVID-19 Lock-down

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Many people have asked me how one can “practice” and “stay sharp” with no access to a pool table during the COVID-19 lock-down. The following new resource page has lots of good ideas to help:

Check it out.

The page also has advice on what to do to get motivated if you are fortunate enough to have a pool table at home.

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

bmccaslin

Registered Human
Silver Member
Much appreciated Dr. Dave! :thumbup:

I've been trying to figure out things I can do to keep my game at a good baseline until I can get back on a table. Another bonus is that I've seriously begun to think about getting my own table, just need buy-in from my significant other...:eek:

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe add to the watching of pool to watch a shot, pause it and visualize the feel of you performing that last shot, regardless of missing (a lesson learned in everything). I feel that always deserves a bullet point.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Much appreciated Dr. Dave! :thumbup:

I've been trying to figure out things I can do to keep my game at a good baseline until I can get back on a table. Another bonus is that I've seriously begun to think about getting my own table, just need buy-in from my significant other...:eek:
Not having access to a table can actually be a blessing in some regards, because it can force you to work on things you might not work on otherwise.

Have fun with your "alternative practice" until you get significant-other buy-in,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe add to the watching of pool to watch a shot, pause it and visualize the feel of you performing that last shot, regardless of missing (a lesson learned in everything). I feel that always deserves a bullet point.
I don't have it on the page directly, but visualizing yourself playing well is in the video and info on the linked mental aspects resource page.

Good idea,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Many people have asked me how one can “practice” and “stay sharp” with no access to a pool table during the COVID-19 lock-down. The following new resource page has lots of good ideas to help:

Check it out.

The page also has advice on what to do to get motivated if you are fortunate enough to have a pool table at home.
Anybody else have any suggestions for good things to add to the COVID-19 coping resource page.

Thanks,
Dave

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member

Check it out.

Dave,

Nice, and a little eerie, to see we have the same thought process and timing. Most of your and I's videos seem to come out at the same time. I can't look at yours now as I'm at work, but did you include the Coke-bottle drill? I just put that one up for people because while I have a table I know most people don't. (I don't advertise my stream on AZ as it would undermine the whole, "Invisible Ghosst / Random Guy From The Internet" thing I have going on.) :D

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave,

Nice, and a little eerie, to see we have the same thought process and timing. Most of your and I's videos seem to come out at the same time. I can't look at yours now as I'm at work, but did you include the Coke-bottle drill? I just put that one up for people because while I have a table I know most people don't. (I don't advertise my stream on AZ as it would undermine the whole, "Invisible Ghosst / Random Guy From The Internet" thing I have going on.) :D
I personally don't like the Coke-bottle drill because it can be a little limiting with a pendulum stroke. However, I have several good alternatives (that don't require a pool table or a Coke bottle) in the first two sections of the following video, which is linked on the page:

Top 10 Aim, Alignment, and STROKE DRILLS

I haven't seen any of your videos yet. I don't think so anyway. Can you post a link to your stream or to a pertinent video?

Thanks,
Dave

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good answers Dr. Dave!

My only addition would be "Break into a pool room in the dead of night and sneak in as many games of speed pool as possible before being hauled off to jail". As long as you do this on a weekday so you're not in lockdown for more than 24 hours it might be a reasonable trade off...;)

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not so sure about that Tin Man, petty theft just isn't what it use to be,
especially if your sporting one of these patches.

I also thought I saw something somewhere that if you are sporting one of these patches,
these instructions are posted;
please place your petty cash in the petty cash jar on the counter,
clean up and when leaving please flip the "occupied" too the unoccupied position.

somewhat clever I thought...

got the bug.png

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good answers Dr. Dave!

My only addition would be "Break into a pool room in the dead of night and sneak in as many games of speed pool as possible before being hauled off to jail". As long as you do this on a weekday so you're not in lockdown for more than 24 hours it might be a reasonable trade off...;)
That's cute. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Dave