Alex Pagulayan representing Canada??????

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just looking at the US open player list and was just looking to see who from Canada was entered. To my amazement, I noticed Alex P is listed under Canada. I wouldn't think the US open would screw something like this up, because they have been doing this tournament forever and Alex has previously won the tournament (2005). Hes not just some no name player.

I'm assuming the players tell the people running the US open what country they are representing, so I wonder if Alex P said Canada? Might be just a mistake, but I just got curious when I saw this :grin:

By the way he is number #122, on this list http://www.usopen9ballchampionships.com/players-entered.php These are all paid entries.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also noticed Jason klatt is under USA (#83) and Ronnie Wisemen under USA (#165). Must be some screw ups.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
I also noticed Jason klatt is under USA (#83) and Ronnie Wisemen under USA (#165). Must be some screw ups.

And Jerod Spence and Nick Kruger.

They basically just murdered the sheet.

The Hamster

David Malone
Silver Member
I was just looking at the US open player list and was just looking to see who from Canada was entered. To my amazement, I noticed Alex P is listed under Canada.

That shouldn't be a surprise. Alex is a Canadian citizen with a Canadian passport and has been listed as representing Canada in prior World Championships.

He was, of course, born in the Philippines.

netspec

www.netspec.ca
Silver Member
something is certainly messed up Stan Tourangeau is from Canada...and he is listed as USA.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That shouldn't be a surprise. Alex is a Canadian citizen with a Canadian passport and has been listed as representing Canada in prior World Championships.

He was, of course, born in the Philippines.

Yes this is true. After the win in 2004 (World pool champioships) he started representing the phillippines. He was under Puyat sports. I highly doubt hes gone back to representing Canada, considering he only visits here like once a year now. He wasn't even allowed to play in the Canadians, he doesn't live in Canada.

Phillippines has way more representing spots in big international tournaments. Canada only ever gets like 2 spots. Trust me, it's a mistake on the website.

Last edited:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
He wasn't even allowed to play in the Canadians, he doesn't live in Canada.

Really?!?!?!?!?!?! Did he try? If so, has someone lost their mind?

From a marketing standpoint, telling one of the biggest stars in pool that he can't play in a particular tournament is asinine.

Celtic

Silver Member
Really?!?!?!?!?!?! Did he try? If so, has someone lost their mind?

From a marketing standpoint, telling one of the biggest stars in pool that he can't play in a particular tournament is asinine.

Not if that tournament has the main purpose of deciding which Canadian's are going to represent their country at the world championships.

Alex made a very clear decision to play under the flag of the Phillipines, noone in the world should be allowed to play in multiple countries for multiple chances to make the world championships. It would not even be fair to the players in Canada, people who live in this country and strive to represent this country in the world championships.

At this point Alex if he won the spot via the Canadian championships would simply be an extra spot in the worlds for the Phillipines and one less spot for Canada.

Alot of us would have liked if Alex remained playing in and for Canada, he did not, so he cannot play in that event.

Instead he opened up the door to play in all the events the Philipines and the rest of Asia have for players in those particular countries that people from North America and Europe cannot enter.

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not if that tournament has the main purpose of deciding which Canadian's are going to represent their country at the world championships.

Alex made a very clear decision to play under the flag of the Phillipines, noone in the world should be allowed to play in multiple countries for multiple chances to make the world championships. It would not even be fair to the players in Canada, people who live in this country and strive to represent this country in the world championships.

At this point Alex if he won the spot via the Canadian championships would simply be an extra spot in the worlds for the Phillipines and one less spot for Canada.

Alot of us would have liked if Alex remained playing in and for Canada, he did not, so he cannot play in that event.

Instead he opened up the door to play in all the events the Philipines and the rest of Asia have for players in those particular countries that people from North America and Europe cannot enter.

Spot would stay and go to next high finished Canadian.

Celtic

Silver Member
Spot would stay and go to next high finished Canadian.

Thats fine but given that option I doubt he would play because the spot is the primary prize of the whole tournament and usually the money prizes suck despite the entry fees being steep.

I had the exact same thing in Australia, I lived there for a year and a half but when I wanted to play in a event that was a qualifier to play in the world 9-ball championships I was told I would be unable to win the spot to the worlds and thus would be paying a huge entry fee into an event that I could only at best win 3 times the entry fee by winning the tournament against all of Australia's best. If I got second place I think I would have broken even, and the 3rd place guy would be going to play in the world 9-ball championships.

It becomes not worth it. I am sure Alex could have played if he forfeits the spot, but why play at that point when that is the real prize?

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Thats fine but given that option I doubt he would play because the spot is the primary prize of the whole tournament and usually the money prizes suck despite the entry fees being steep.

I had the exact same thing in Australia, I lived there for a year and a half but when I wanted to play in a event that was a qualifier to play in the world 9-ball championships I was told I would be unable to win the spot to the worlds and thus would be paying a huge entry fee into an event that I could only at best win 3 times the entry fee by winning the tournament against all of Australia's best. If I got second place I think I would have broken even, and the 3rd place guy would be going to play in the world 9-ball championships.

It becomes not worth it. I am sure Alex could have played if he forfeits the spot, but why play at that point when that is the real prize?

How much does it pay? I was under the impression that at least within the last 5 years it was 5-10 grand 1st place or maybe that was the added money. Regardless, from Gatz's post it sounded as though he wanted to play and wasn't allowed.

Doesn't Ronnie Wiseman represent both Canada and the US? I'm pretty sure I've seen him play under an American flag at the World Championships, but I could be wrong or it might have been a mistake.

It's all kind of moot anyways since who knows when there will ever be a World 9 ball Championships.

gromulan

Reality police
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure Ronnie Wiesmann has dual citizenship. He married an American and spends just about all of his time in the US. That being the case he can play for whomever he pleases as far as I'm concerned.

Same thing with Alex. He holds Canadian citizenship but has a green card from the USA and lives (I think) in Hawaii mostly. As far as I'm concerned he can play for whomever he likes too. Free country and all that.