Mezz Ignite CF Shaft Review

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just received my Mezz Ignite 12.2 carbon fiber shaft a few days ago. I’m using it with my Mezz Exceed butt, with a wavy joint. It came with a Zan medium plus tip. The hit/feel/feedback is very solid, similar to most of the other shafts in the Mezz line. It certainly has a better feel/sound than the Revo shaft, the only other carbon fiber shaft I have used.

I would say the level of deflection is considerably more than the WX900 shaft I had been using, but slightly less than the Mezz WX700 shaft. It’s simply impossible to beat the smooth, slick feel that a CF shaft offers, not to mention the easy maintenance that comes with it.

I also have a Pechauer CF shaft coming within the next week or two, which I’ve heard nothing but good things about. I’m curious to see how those two shafts compare with each other, and I’ll report back after I’ve had a chance to do that.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I just received my Mezz Ignite 12.2 carbon fiber shaft a few days ago. I’m using it with my Mezz Exceed butt, with a wavy joint. It came with a Zan medium plus tip. The hit/feel/feedback is very solid, similar to most of the other shafts in the Mezz line. It certainly has a better feel/sound than the Revo shaft, the only other carbon fiber shaft I have used.

I would say the level of deflection is considerably more than the WX900 shaft I had been using, but slightly less than the Mezz WX700 shaft. It’s simply impossible to beat the smooth, slick feel that a CF shaft offers, not to mention the easy maintenance that comes with it.

I also have a Pechauer CF shaft coming within the next week or two, which I’ve heard nothing but good things about. I’m curious to see how those two shafts compare with each other, and I’ll report back after I’ve had a chance to do that.

What price you get for the Mezz. And do you plan on having a stable of CF shafts around ;)

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What price you get for the Mezz. And do you plan on having a stable of CF shafts around ;)
Sorry, I can’t afford to keep a stock of any carbon fiber shafts around - Special order only. The Mezz is one of the more expensive ones - $570 retail. I get a discount as a Mezz dealer so I can sell them for slightly less than MSRP, but not as much of a discount as I get from some of the other cue companies I deal with. It looks like Seyberts has all but completely discontinued stocking any more Mezz cues or shafts. I don’t know the reason for that.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for the review Chris.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts about the pechauer Rogue shaft in comparison to the revo and mezz shafts.

Thanks,

Jeff

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

After a few weeks playing with this shaft, I can tell you that it does deflect considerably more than I anticipated it would. I’m not necessarily saying that’s a bad thing as some players may actually be preferring a carbon fiber shaft that has some level of deflection. I can only relate it to 3 other Mezz shafts I have used. The ignite deflects way more than a WX 900 shaft - which would be the Mezz shaft with easily the least amount of deflection I have used. I would also say it deflects slightly more than the Mezz EX pro shaft. I wouldn’t say the ignite shaft deflects quite as much as the WX 700 shaft, but certainly way closer to the WX 700 than it is to the WX 900 in terms of deflection. As far as the feel and feedback from the shaft, it feels absolutely great.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I just received my Ignite shaft with a uni-lock pin. I have a 30’ WX900 and a 29’ WX700. I have not been able to play with it because of the shut down of bars and pool rooms in San Antonio. I have been playing for 60 years and grew up not playing taking into consideration deflection and neither do I have an aiming system. I’m one of the old timers that just played the game on instinct and trial and error.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just received my Ignite shaft with a uni-lock pin. I have a 30’ WX900 and a 29’ WX700. I have not been able to play with it because of the shut down of bars and pool rooms in San Antonio. I have been playing for 60 years and grew up not playing taking into consideration deflection and neither do I have an aiming system. I’m one of the old timers that just played the game on instinct and trial and error.
I think you’ll really like the ignite shaft, and I’m curious to hear your opinion, once you hopefully get a chance to play some with it? Would you agree there’s a night and day deflection difference between the 700 and 900?

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you’ll really like the ignite shaft, and I’m curious to hear your opinion, once you hopefully get a chance to play some with it? Would you agree there’s a night and day deflection difference between the 700 and 900?

I will let you know. I play with the 30” WX900 but I’ve never played with the 29” WX700, which I bought second hand just to try out and for a back-up. I will definitely play with the ignite and give you my feedback. I primarily play one pocket on a 9’ table and Play very little rotation games or 8 ball.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After a few weeks playing with this shaft, I can tell you that it does deflect considerably more than I anticipated it would. I’m not necessarily saying that’s a bad thing as some players may actually be preferring a carbon fiber shaft that has some level of deflection. I can only relate it to 3 other Mezz shafts I have used. The ignite deflects way more than a WX 900 shaft - which would be the Mezz shaft with easily the least amount of deflection I have used. I would also say it deflects slightly more than the Mezz EX pro shaft. I wouldn’t say the ignite shaft deflects quite as much as the WX 700 shaft, but certainly way closer to the WX 700 than it is to the WX 900 in terms of deflection. As far as the feel and feedback from the shaft, it feels absolutely great.

Hey Chris,

How does the WX900 compare to the revo in deflection?

I've used the Mezz ignite and agree with your assessment.

Thanks,

Jeff

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Chris,

How does the WX900 compare to the revo in deflection?

I've used the Mezz ignite and agree with your assessment.

Thanks,

Jeff
The WX 900 is the least deflecting shaft I’ve ever used. It’s just a little too skinny for my liking, so I’m willing to trade off more deflection in exchange for a slightly thicker shaft. There is absolutely no question there is considerably more deflection that must be calculated in to your aiming when loading up with spin using the Ignite shaft.

As far as comparisons to the Revo shaft, it’s been a little too long for me to remember, but I’m quite sure the ignite shaft deflects a bit more than the Revo shaft did.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The WX 900 is the least deflecting shaft I’ve ever used. It’s just a little too skinny for my liking, so I’m willing to trade off more deflection in exchange for a slightly thicker shaft. There is absolutely no question there is considerably more deflection that must be calculated in to your aiming when loading up with spin using the Ignite shaft.

As far as comparisons to the Revo shaft, it’s been a little too long for me to remember, but I’m quite sure the ignite shaft deflects a bit more than the Revo shaft did.

Good deal. I appreciate the feedback.

I have never hit with a wx900. Not many around. I really didn't like the ignite at all, eventhough Mezz makes extremely nice cues.

I may end up buying a WX900 just to try.

Have a good one Chris and be safe sir,

Jeff

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I will let you know. I play with the 30” WX900 but I’ve never played with the 29” WX700, which I bought second hand just to try out and for a back-up. I will definitely play with the ignite and give you my feedback. I primarily play one pocket on a 9’ table and Play very little rotation games or 8 ball.

hmmm too bad you cant use it yet
ive had 2 old 1pkt players say the same thing to me about the cf shaft

not for them

i really cant tell much of a difference in just about any shaft ive played with
its just stiff and always smooth, and i like it like that

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I just got one as well. Never had a low deflection shaft before -- hit with a Predator a few times in the 1990s and hated it. Stuck with regular maple ever since.

As for the Ignite, so far I like it. I like the narrow diameter and smoothness, and I do feel like I get more action on certain shots, especially follow shots. I already feel better hitting power follow with left and right.

And I'm playing 9 ball pretty well with it. I think in part because I'm hesitant to use left and right so I'm focusing on simpler paths.

Why hesitant to use left and right? When I hit firm with L and R, it works ok and I'm pretty much used to it after a few days. But soft with left and right is way different and I haven't got the hang of it. Likewise, throwing banks is not working for me at all. And using inside to cut a tight shot on a ball that is frozen to the rail--very tough to adjust.

Bottom line: I like it and think I'll be better once I get used to it in a few more weeks. It will take some time to reprogram 30+ years of subconscious deflection adjustments. Fortunately, I have plenty of time on my hands and a table in the basement.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to know how can one measure deflection, some people here say that X shaft deflects more than XX shaft etc, but how do you come up with this conclusion yourself? Is it based on your own experiment, and if so, how did you experiment to come to that conclusion?

I also would like to note that deflection is different than swerve, which is mostly what come into play when you shoot pool shots, if you apply extreme English with low-speed shots, the swerve will take most of the effect than deflection, I just want some clarification to the matter of how people always keep talking about deflection and not swerve, when swerve affect play more so than deflection, because in my opinion deflection only come into play when you shoot very hard shots with English, which usually isn't a shot that players take often, in my opinion.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to know how can one measure deflection, some people here say that X shaft deflects more than XX shaft etc, but how do you come up with this conclusion yourself? Is it based on your own experiment, and if so, how did you experiment to come to that conclusion?

I also would like to note that deflection is different than swerve, which is mostly what come into play when you shoot pool shots, if you apply extreme English with low-speed shots, the swerve will take most of the effect than deflection, I just want some clarification to the matter of how people always keep talking about deflection and not swerve, when swerve affect play more so than deflection, because in my opinion deflection only come into play when you shoot very hard shots with English, which usually isn't a shot that players take often, in my opinion.

Not sure how others measure swerve and deflection but, I do the following:

Using a laser level, I put donuts on table and use them for test...

I align a camera using same shot line and laser level. The camera is 1" above rail height.

I shoot several balls down the shot line into cameras view.

I can then watch the videos over and over in slow motion to see exactly which shaft is deflecting more.

I also keep my stroke speed in check with a break app.

Stroke speed and consistent accuracy is of upmost importance to get accurate data.

It's worked very well for me.

Jeff

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure how others measure swerve and deflection but, I do the following:

Using a laser level, I put donuts on table and use them for test...

I align a camera using same shot line and laser level. The camera is 1" above rail height.

I shoot several balls down the shot line into cameras view.

I can then watch the videos over and over in slow motion to see exactly which shaft is deflecting more.

I also keep my stroke speed in check with a break app.

Stroke speed and consistent accuracy is of upmost importance to get accurate data.

It's worked very well for me.

Jeff

This is nice, but human error is very big in this don't you think?

Can you produce a video of you doing this? I'm interested to see the procedure in a video, especially that most of us are quarantined in home, maybe it is now easier to do stuff like this? I can't wait to watch this.

I still personally believe that measuring deflection is very very tough when a human hand is used, i.e. you doing the strokes yourself, I feel that we need a machine for this to give accurate results, but thats just me.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hmmm too bad you cant use it yet
ive had 2 old 1pkt players say the same thing to me about the cf shaft

not for them

i really cant tell much of a difference in just about any shaft ive played with
its just stiff and always smooth, and i like it like that

At 74 I know longer split hairs or attempt to elevate my game where it was in the 1960’s and beyond. I’m just trying different equipment and enjoying my money before it ends up in the pockets and the hands of my heirs. I can’t do it fast enough and hope to disappoint a lot of people when they open my estate.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
At 74 I know longer split hairs or attempt to elevate my game where it was in the 60’s and beyond. I’m just trying different equipment and enjoying my money before it ends up in the pockets and the hands of my heirs. I can’t do it fast enough and hope to disappoint a lot of people when they open my estate.

Hah, cheers to that!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is nice, but human error is very big in this don't you think?

Can you produce a video of you doing this? I'm interested to see the procedure in a video, especially that most of us are quarantined in home, maybe it is now easier to do stuff like this? I can't wait to watch this.

I still personally believe that measuring deflection is very very tough when a human hand is used, i.e. you doing the strokes yourself, I feel that we need a machine for this to give accurate results, but thats just me.

I'm currently recovering from spine surgery. I don't have any saved footage or I would be happy to show you.

Your correct about the human error. Human error is where the players fundamentals comes into play.

All you can do is find a player that has a very straight and consistent stroke and get them to do the test for you.

At the end of the day, if your stroke isn't straight or consistent enough to judge the difference in deflection between one shaft and another, well, deflection isn't your problem.

Jeff

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love the Ignite

I've tried all kinds of cues and have learned that I enjoy stiff hitting cues with a ping to them. I also play a hard 3C tip which lends itself to a ping. I was reluctant to try a CF shaft because of the initial price and my lack of interest in maple LD shafts. However the discussion about the BeCue and various reviews piqued my interest. I bought a BeCue and immediately began playing better by about a ball or two. I was stringing together a couple of ten ball racks which I previously had not been able to do. So I was sold on the BeCue and then had an opportunity to play with a Revo and enjoyed how stiff it was but it had an even more muted hit than the BeCue. I preferred the BeCue, but enjoyed the stiffness.
Then I came across a YouTube review of various shafts and the reviewer explained that the Mezz ignite shaft had a ping. I thought I would give it a shot but had never played a Mezz cue before because I prefer custom cues. I had difficulty finding an ignite shaft on its own and ended up buying a basic Mezz. I am blown away by this cue and the shaft. I think the easiest way to describe it is that it is incredibly powerful. I am able to easily get position on shots with half the effort that I would with a regular wooden shaft. I'm not really a believer in "measuring" deflection, I just adapt to shafts and cues, but the ignite shaft has dramatically less deflection than a regular wooden shaft and plays much stiffer, like an old DPK shaft. I'm drawing shots easily 1.5 table lengths on a 9' table with about half the effort. The cue came with a Kamuai clear soft, so I'm looking forward to changing it to my hard 3C tip when it wears out.
For those of you interested in a stiff hitting CF shaft with nice feedback, I'd highly recommend trying out the Mezz ignite. If you want a CF shaft with the feel of a wood hit, then the BeCue would be a great option. If I hadn't tried the Mezz, the BeCue would have stayed my main player, it's a great cue as well.
My next test is going to be a Gocustom. A friend of mine in FL suggested trying out a Gocustom because I want to use these CF shafts on my custom cues and the ignite only comes in 2 joint options.
Good luck everyone in trying these shafts out; they're a game changer....