Suggestions from players needed for Amateur-Advanced division play

MikeJanis

Banned
I have had more that a few questions concerning the Amateur-Advanced division and many of them have had merit.
The most commom question is the distingusishing of the Advanced players that are not pros.

Right now I am just looking for suggestion on how I could modify the below rules to A: not include Pro Players (just as that part is stated) and B: Make these events available to other players that are less than pro speed.

Of course all of this has to be based on a players known performance record in tournaments.

It's a tough line but hopefully a few suggestions from the group can help me me make improvements to this class of events and make it available for more players.

Thanks for any help you can offer. Mj

Rules for Qualification & Disqualifications of players for the Viking Cue "Amateur-Advanced" 9-Ball Tour Event Division are as follows:

Re: Disqualifications

You Can Not Play in the Viking Cue "Amateur-Advanced" 9-Ball Tour events if:

1. You have ever won 4 or more Open Regional Tour Events in the last 5 years or any Professional Events in the last 10 years.
2. You have Won or placed 2nd or 3rd of any $10,000 added or more tournament in the last 5 years.
3. You have 12 or more 2nd, 3rd or 4th place finishes in open regional tour events.
4. You have won 10 or more Amateur events on any other Amateur tours (combined) and not including the Viking Cue Amateur 9-Ball Tour.
5. You have ever been considered a professional player.
6. You are a known Road Player with professional skills. You may not participate even if you have never competed in any professional events.

If you fall into any of the above categories the Viking Cue "Open" 9-Ball Tour is the division for you. Additionally, who may and who may not play in the Amateur-Advanced division is at the sole discretion of the director at the event or the Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour office staff. If you have any questions regarding your eligibility please email the Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour at vikingtour2@yahoo.com at least 14 days prior to the event you wish to compete in. If you do not fall into any of the above categories the Viking Cue Amateur-Advanced 9-Ball Tour is your ticket to success.

Re: Current Member Disqualifications

Current Viking Cue Amateur-Advanced 9-Ball Tour players will be disqualified from participation in Viking Cue Amateur-Advanced 9-Ball Tour events if at anytime they meet any of the any of the above stated rules for disqualifications. At that time your current Viking Cue Amateur-Advanced 9-Ball Tour card status will be changed to an Open tour card for the remainder of your tour card time period.

Viking Cue Amateur-Advanced 9-Ball Tour members will be eligible to participate in the Amateur-Advanced division until:

1. You win 6 Viking Cue Amateur-Advanced 9-Ball Tour events.
2. You place in the top 4 places of Viking Cue Amateur-Advanced 9-Ball Tour events 12 times.

All players that have not met the disqualification rules for the Viking Cue Amateur-Advanced 9-Ball Tour are welcome to participate in our Amateur-Advanced division events.

Lessor skilled players may participate in all of the Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour Divisions. Those divisions include: Amateur Only, Amateur-Advanced, Open and Professional.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know a lot more about it than I do cut I would put an age limit on this:

5. You have ever been considered a professional player.

Maybe 65 years old or thereabouts would exempt a guy from that rule, and "ever been considered" is a little vague.

MikeJanis

Banned
Proposed rules if changed...

Rules for Qualification & Disqualifications of players for the Viking Cue "Amateur-Advanced" 9-Ball Tour Event Division are as follows:

1. You have ever won any $10,000 added or more tournament in the last 10 years.
2. You have ever been considered a professional player on any Mens Pro Tour and ranked in the top 64. These tours include but are not limited to the UPA, WPA, IPT, PCA, PBT or Camel Series.
3. If you have ever been ranked in the top 16 of the WPBA, Florida or Seminole Regional Pro Tour.
4. You are a known Road Player with professional skills. You may not participate even if you have never competed in any professional events.
5. You are excluded from the above rules if you are over the age of 65.

If you fall into any of the above top 4 categories the Viking Cue "Open" 9-Ball Tour is the division for you. Additionally, who may and who may not play in the Amateur-Advanced division is at the sole discretion of the director at the event or the Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour office staff. If you have any questions regarding your eligibility please email the Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour at vikingtour2@yahoo.com at least 14 days prior to the event you wish to compete in. If you do not fall into any of the above categories the Viking Cue Amateur-Advanced 9-Ball Tour is your ticket to success.

Current Viking Cue Amateur-Advanced 9-Ball Tour players will be disqualified from participation in Viking Cue Amateur-Advanced 9-Ball Tour events if at anytime they meet any of the any of the above stated rules for disqualifications or as determined by the director of the Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour. If in the event you become disqualified your current Viking Cue Amateur-Advanced 9-Ball Tour card status will be changed to an Open tour card for the remainder of your tour card time period.

Viking Cue Amateur-Advanced 9-Ball Tour members will be eligible to participate in the Amateur-Advanced division until:

2. You place in the top 4 places of Viking Cue Amateur-Advanced 9-Ball Tour events 12 times.

All players that have not met the disqualification rules for the Viking Cue Amateur-Advanced 9-Ball Tour are welcome to participate in our Amateur-Advanced division events.

Lessor skilled players may participate in all of the Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour Divisions. Those divisions include: Amateur Only, Amateur-Advanced, Open and Professional.

As mentioned earlier, these rules for the Amateur-Advanced division are intended to bridge the gap between what the Viking Tour determines as Amateurs (as seen here: http://vikingcue.com/9balltour/amatureeligibility.html) and what is considered a professional player.

Where is B_White when I need a second on this motion...........

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don't already have it included I would include some boilerplate to the effect that the tournament director reserves the right to exclude any player, just in case.

B_White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MikeJanis said:
Proposed rules if changed...

1. You have ever won any $10,000 added or more tournament in the last 10 years.
2. You have ever been considered a professional player on any Mens Pro Tour and ranked in the top 64. These tours include but are not limited to the UPA, WPA, IPT, PCA, PBT or Camel Series.
3. If you have ever been ranked in the top 16 of the WPBA, Florida or Seminole Regional Pro Tour.
4. You are a known Road Player with professional skills. You may not participate even if you have never competed in any professional events.
5. You are excluded from the above rules if you are over the age of 65.

If you fall into any of the above top 4 categories the Viking Cue "Open" 9-Ball Tour is the division for you. Additionally, who may and who may not play in the Amateur-Advanced division is at the sole discretion of the director at the event or the Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour office staff. If you have any questions regarding your eligibility please email the Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour at vikingtour2@yahoo.com at least 14 days prior to the event you wish to compete in. If you do not fall into any of the above categories the Viking Cue Amateur-Advanced 9-Ball Tour is your ticket to success.

Current Viking Cue Amateur-Advanced 9-Ball Tour players will be disqualified from participation in Viking Cue Amateur-Advanced 9-Ball Tour events if at anytime they meet any of the any of the above stated rules for disqualifications or as determined by the director of the Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour. If in the event you become disqualified your current Viking Cue Amateur-Advanced 9-Ball Tour card status will be changed to an Open tour card for the remainder of your tour card time period.

Where is B_White when I need a second on this motion...........
I would like to say on this forum that it is no secret to the members here that I have been very opposed to Amateur tours. However, I will say that even though we had words on this forum on several occasions, Mike J. still took my phones calls and listen to my side of the story. I hope that we can all come to an agreement that the Amateur-Advanced division should allow all amateurs AND those players that are "stuck in the middle" such as myself to be allowed to play. That way no pool players are left out. I think thats the main point, that everyone has an area to play. I want to thank Mike publically for considering changes that will be good for all players. As for myself, I think my name got tossed around a lot with really good players such as Daulton,Nevel,Moore, etc. The fact of the matter is that while I can sometimes hold my own against those guys in the occasional tourney, I play nowhere near those guys. Aside from the Derby I have NEVER played in a pro event. I'm very excited about this possibilty and again want to thank Mike for considering change. Brian White

cigjonser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a small correction, but I think you mean to say:

If you [DO NOT] fall into any of the above top 4 categories the Viking Cue "Open" 9-Ball Tour is the division for you.

MikeJanis

Banned
cigjonser said:
Just a small correction, but I think you mean to say:

If you [DO NOT] fall into any of the above top 4 categories the Viking Cue "Open" 9-Ball Tour is the division for you.

No it is correct the way it is.

You are disqualified from the Am-Adv div if you fall meet any of those guides for disqualification so "If you fall into any of the above you have to play in the Open division which is a tougher division as it includes pros.

Mj

MikeJanis

Banned
alstl said:
If you don't already have it included I would include some boilerplate to the effect that the tournament director reserves the right to exclude any player, just in case.

I think this paraghraph covers that as politely as possible.

cigjonser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MikeJanis said:
No it is correct the way it is.

You are disqualified from the Am-Adv div if you fall meet any of those guides for disqualification so "If you fall into any of the above you have to play in the Open division which is a tougher division as it includes pros.

Mj

You're right. I read it wrong. I was under the impression the sentence was still talking about the Am-Adv tournament.

MikeJanis

Banned
cigjonser said:
You're right. I read it wrong. I was under the impression the sentence was still talking about the Am-Adv tournament.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes. I have great difficulty proof reading anythiong I wrote simply because it makes sense to me.

So now that you have re-read it does it flow properly so anyone can understand it or do I need to make asjustments ?

Mj

B_White said:
I would like to say on this forum that it is no secret to the members here that I have been very opposed to Amateur tours. However, I will say that even though we had words on this forum on several occasions, Mike J. still took my phones calls and listen to my side of the story. I hope that we can all come to an agreement that the Amateur-Advanced division should allow all amateurs AND those players that are "stuck in the middle" such as myself to be allowed to play. That way no pool players are left out. I think thats the main point, that everyone has an area to play. I want to thank Mike publically for considering changes that will be good for all players. As for myself, I think my name got tossed around a lot with really good players such as Daulton,Nevel,Moore, etc. The fact of the matter is that while I can sometimes hold my own against those guys in the occasional tourney, I play nowhere near those guys. Aside from the Derby I have NEVER played in a pro event. I'm very excited about this possibilty and again want to thank Mike for considering change. Brian White

Brian, we thank you for taking the time to talk with us about the Amateur-Advanced division. However, after careful consideration and many deliberations we have decided that the disqualification/qualification rules will not be changed and will remain as originally stated.

We wish you and all the players the very best.

Terrie Janis

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just drop the "amateur-advanced" title/tour events. Stick with what has been successful- Amateur Viking events and Regular Viking events. Or just start awarding belts to every class of player like in Karate classes!

The Viking tour is great tour. Keep it simple. One Tour, two divisions, each with its own rules.

Seneca Steve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I second this motion

ust drop the "amateur-advanced" title/tour events. Stick with what has been successful- Amateur Viking events and Regular Viking events. Or just start awarding belts to every class of player like in Karate classes!

The Viking tour is great tour. Keep it simple. One Tour, two divisions, each with its own rules.